Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2018, 09:14   #361
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Are Power Boaters Clueless

You can usually affix the A hole to the machine they are operating whether it floats, drives or flies, if it’s “the” status producing overpriced for what it is thing, you can almost always expect abhorrent behavior, cause they are privileged, but apparently not very smart, cause they don’t often know their identity, or else why do they so often ask if you know who they are?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 09:16   #362
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Are Power Boaters Clueless

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Stu,

Are Paintball guns considered a weapon in Canada?
Just askin'...

Every time I get on the ICW in S Fl during “season” I want one.
I have heard of others using nuts and bolts with slingshots.
However I know getting in the mud and wallowing with the hog only gets me filthy and the hog loves it, so I don’t stoop to that level.
But sometimes I daydream about it
Old 27-05-2018, 09:19   #363
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Now we have to also be responsible.
Anytime I have a powerboat call me for a pass, I put it into neutral and pull as far to the side of the channel I can, and thank him for the slow pass.
Don’t just move over, go all the way to neutral and impede his progress as little as possible.
Believe it or not, but a lot of powerboaters hate blow boats
Old 27-05-2018, 09:39   #364

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Now we have to also be responsible.
Anytime I have a powerboat call me for a pass, I put it into neutral and pull as far to the side of the channel I can, and thank him for the slow pass.
Don’t just move over, go all the way to neutral and impede his progress as little as possible.
Believe it or not, but a lot of powerboaters hate blow boats
That probably stems from believing the right of way is theirs come hell or high water.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 10:03   #365
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
That probably stems from believing the right of way is theirs come hell or high water.

I come from a powerboat background.
Honestly I couldn’t understand a sailboat, thought they were silly affectations of a time long ago gone, but this was as a person who never thought about living on a boat, a Boat was a toy you used when you were not at work.
Most powerboaters and Marinas and Marine service providers etc., disdain sailboaters as cheap boaters.
More than once I have heard sailboaters are the trailer park of boating so to speak, the thought is sailboaters say the wind is free, everything else ought to be too.

I was talking to the Lady that ran the marina where I had my boat in Stuart, she bad mouthed sailboats, and then turned around and said that Trawler owners were almost as bad, and she knew I had a sailboat.
Old 27-05-2018, 10:13   #366

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Go to a power boat forum, and I'm sure you can read a lot of stories about that.

I've said it before, but over here I rarely have any problem with power boaters. The power boaters around here are typically more polite and skillful than the sailors. It's highly aggressive racers who don't understand normal collision avoidance procedure who are the main nuisance, at least in the Solent. They may tack right under your bows and consider that it's your problem to make a crash stop to avoid hitting them. Death wish, maybe?

I also exchanged words once with a ferryman in Weymouth Harbour who thought it was cool to row (it was a rowing ferry) right under my bows as I was proceeding down the channel in the inner harbor. Rather than waiting 20 seconds to pass behind me. I couldn't even SEE him, once he got into the channel, so I avoided him only by luck. He seemed to think that it was entirely my problem to avoid him -- a concept which doesn't exist in collision avoidance at sea. He did not appreciate my 5 blasts at all, and thought it was cool to shout at me in response.

As someone said, -- boat type doesn't say much about what kind of person is at the helm.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 10:26   #367

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I come from a powerboat background.
Honestly I couldn’t understand a sailboat, thought they were silly affectations of a time long ago gone, but this was as a person who never thought about living on a boat, a Boat was a toy you used when you were not at work.
Most powerboaters and Marinas and Marine service providers etc., disdain sailboaters as cheap boaters.
More than once I have heard sailboaters are the trailer park of boating so to speak, the thought is sailboaters say the wind is free, everything else ought to be too.

I was talking to the Lady that ran the marina where I had my boat in Stuart, she bad mouthed sailboats, and then turned around and said that Trawler owners were almost as bad, and she knew I had a sailboat.
Maybe I should has been clearer. Some with, as you put it, blow boats think they have the right of way come hell or high water. There are a-holes on both sides of the coin.
Old 27-05-2018, 10:32   #368
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Maybe I should has been clearer. Some with, as you put it, blow boats think they have the right of way come hell or high water. There are a-holes on both sides of the coin.
I completely agree. I've met as many unpleasant characters in sail as power. The big difference, jerks on a sailboat can't go fast enough to throw a big wake.

And yes I've experience a few nasty power boat wakes but my last trip down the ditch from Jacksonville to W Palm, 99% of the powerboats either gave me a wide berth or slowed to low wake speed (not just low speed but low wake) or both. Only recall one or two that cut it close or threw a big wake.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 10:49   #369

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
I think everyone understood you the first time, and agreed. This is certainly true.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 11:00   #370

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I think everyone understood you the first time, and agreed. This is certainly true.
Unfortunate isn't it. Such is life.
Old 27-05-2018, 11:11   #371
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
With a vessel of that size the skipper is likely a pro with some sort of ticket, and a career to think about. If you were able to catch the name of the offending vessel, a written report to the CG will have repercussions, and perhaps alter his attitude in the future.

No one particularly likes to be a tattle-tale, but in egregious situations it is justified IMO. Lives and or significant property losses can be at stake!

Jim
When I'm in situations like this (actually had one with a commercial tour boat; I was give way and did so, he kept changing course at me). He had plenty of channel to his STB so his turn to PORT and into me was uncalled for. I kept calling him on 13 and 16; he never answered but the USCG monitors and records 16. As soon as I managed to avoid him I called the USCG and notified them of a rogue ship. They took my report. Reporting dangerous behavior isn't 'tattling', it's important to safe seamanship.
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 11:12   #372
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Unfortunate isn't it. Such is life.
Fortunately, the overwhelming majority of the boaters, sail or power, that I've met over the years were nice, polite, friendly, helpful, brave, clean and reverent.

One of the things that I enjoy most about cruising.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 11:35   #373

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Berg View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I was give way and did so, he kept changing course at me). He had plenty of channel to his STB so his turn to PORT and into me was uncalled for.>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

wow, Scott, and here I thought I was the only one who'd experienced that rude behavior.

Thanks to all who commented on my own plight/story, much appreciated. I thought I might be overthinking it...

I only got half of the boat's name. something Eagle. Crazy? Dumbkoff? Nasty? Oblivious? List goes on...

Thanks again. It sure is hair raising when you go starboard and then they go port. Geez... In open water no less.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 11:36   #374

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Fortunately, the overwhelming majority of the boaters, sail or power, that I've met over the years were nice, polite, friendly, helpful, brave, clean and reverent.

Me too. It seems to do away with the social stigma of what a person is worth financially. The guy in cut offs that asks you aboard might be able to buy you and sell you and vis versa.
Old 27-05-2018, 11:36   #375
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post

Yes, but it seems the most memorable were the one or two that were not.
Had a saying in the Army, one ah sh** moment erased 100 atta boys.

The powerboaters that I have had issues were almost 100% of the time were easily recognizable as the ones who had the expensive water front houses and other accouterments of wealth, Boat was just another one.
We have all seen them older guy with a northern accent and one or maybe even two much, much younger women hanging onto him.

I watched a kid who flew a Net jet, a rent by the hour jet. He was refiling the flight Plan cause the renter was late, and hadn’t called to tell him when to expect to leave, renter showed up, demanded the pilot to grab the bags, then proceeded to berate him cause he had gotten the wrong bottled water after “Buffy” complained. See she only drank Perrier, and apparently the pilot was told that. Of course I was there cause the weather was way too bad for us to fly, this kid had his hands full, he didn’t need to worry about what kind of water.
This guy when he goes down to Ft Lauderdale, is going to act the same way on his Yacht. Don’t dare call it a boat, do you know who he is?

Tags
power boat