Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2011, 05:34   #1
cruiser

Are charters cheaper through an agent?

I would just like to find out through other people's experience. Does anyone know if you can actually get charters cheaper by going through an agent?
sailingtheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 05:43   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Are charters cheaper through an agent?

No usually, through an agent, you pay "list" price. The charter company gives the agent a commission. With many charter companies, especially second tier ones, you can negotiate a better rate than what's published. If you book with short notice your chances of a good price is better than booking five months ahead. The downside of short notice booking is that boat availability might be limited.
Old 23-06-2011, 05:58   #3

I just did a crewed charter in the Keys and discussing pricing with the Captains they charge the same rate whether the boat it is booked through them directly or an agent. Yes , they make less moneywith an agent booked charter but, they also depend on the agents to give them business too so they don't undercut them.
Old 24-06-2011, 09:22   #4

Boat: Leopard 39 Owners Version

We worked with an agent one Saturday when we had decided to charter on the following Monday in the USVI. Word went out on the radios to area captains what our budget was and what we wanted to do. Booked it Saturday afternoon on our word and stepped onto a boat Monday afternoon in the USVI. A lot of trust was involved with all parties and everything went very well. Using an agent was the best option for our short notice trip and fit our budget at the time.
Privleoplag is offline   Reply With Quote