Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-11-2015, 11:06   #166

Boat: Comet 41s
Re: ARC 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Other than the front running boats, those who are near the rhumbline will on Monday get swallowed up by a large light wind area. The boats who went south will start to do much better and move up the rankings, especially Triumph, Far Out and Bo Bridget
The weather pattern ahead is very complicated. I will need to look at it with more attention and even so that may well be insufficient because it is changing fast from the first time I spotted that big area with weak winds.

The bigger change regards the strong winds on the North that will come more to the South and are preceded by a zone without almost no winds: very dicey and if I was on that Allures 39.9, that is way North, I would start coming South fast.

The best passage seems the one i had identified before, really South, even if very few boats are taking it. It would be better not only now, but more near the Caribbean where another big weak wind zone will appear.

Possibly it will be possible to go faster to the North, but it is really a lot to the North since before that, there are very weak winds..... and those winds on the North are really strong, too strong except for very good and experienced crews. And the North pass is also dicey because it is the one that will change faster regarding previsions and also the one with a more difficult pass regarding to go South without being blocked by weak winds.

All very interesting. Not so much for less experienced sailors caught on a big puzzle

Unsupported Browser
https://www.windyty.com/?2015-12-11-18,24.147,-45.176,5

The ones on the ARC+ were luckier with the wind.

Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 11:22   #167
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Yellowbrick is very inferior than what the French use as a tracker. I don't understand why the British and Australian use that tracker.
Good point, but I do not know what they are using.

All my clients use either YB/DeLorme or else Spot. One uses Inmarsat (no tracker but the phone sends a sms/gps report). I am most happy when they use YB. I do not have any French clients though.

I thought Geovoile uses YB (Minitransat, I think, did, at MT was tracked on Geovoile).

What are the French using then?

b.

Old 29-11-2015, 11:54   #168

Quote:
It seems to me that the YB works very well in it's main task of tracking and in that respect it's miles better than Spot. What do the French use?

Looks like Team Brunel will be in before lunch tomorrow, beating most of the ARC+ fleet in.

I wonder how Leopards record from last year of 8 days 14 hours, 39 minutes and 51 seconds is looking. I assume the deadline is some time early on Monday morning GMT? Perhaps Brunel is too far out?
There are very good possibilities of that record to be beaten. They have perfect medium wind ahead and have to do best than 12k average to do that. Probably they will arrive at the same time of the second Fountain Pajot 67.

I don't know the name but it is always the same one, the same you saw on the Transat Jaques Vabre. It is still there and the wind is working, look at the difference in wind strength perception regarding that one and the one they use on the ARC.

http://tracking.transat-jacques-vabre.com/en/
Old 29-11-2015, 13:00   #169

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40

Quote:
There are very good possibilities of that record to be beaten. They have perfect medium wind ahead and have to do best than 12k average to do that. Probably they will arrive at the same time of the second Fountain Pajot 67.

I don't know the name but it is always the same one, the same you saw on the Transat Jaques Vabre. It is still there and the wind is working, look at the difference in wind strength perception regarding that one and the one they use on the ARC.

Transat Jacques Vabre 2015 : Le Havre - Itajai. Suivi Cartographique
The tracking site looks like it might be made by CLS : Collecte Localisation Satellites

From the google translation on the site
"Since CLS added many strings to his bow and can now offer solutions of location and data collection via satellite systems ARGOS but IRIDIUM, INMARSAT or SAT-AIS, etc."

This suggests to me that they could be using different trackers on each boat using different systems and CLS collates them into a single presentation

#edit#
Looks like CLS runs some satellite system call Argos. Argos seems to be used when trackers are fitted to whales, sharks, reindeer etc and have been used for tracking yacht racers for 30 years.

It's probably a great system for races but it does not look "friendly" for cruisers
Old 29-11-2015, 13:36   #170

Quote:
There are very good possibilities of that record to be beaten. They have perfect medium wind ahead and have to do best than 12k average to do that.
Just put their position as of 20:00 UTC into PredictWind and it says that their fastest time will be 21.5hrs which will put them in port at 17:30 UTC

They started on the 22nd at 12:45 UTC so they must arrive before the 1st at 03:24.51 UTC or local time on the 30th at 23:24.51 to beat the record (assuming I calculated correctly )

So the record could be broken from the looks of it by possibly 9 hours
Old 29-11-2015, 13:48   #171

Yes the trackers from French solo racing are probably more expensive. They are made by CLS and they have a system that the skipper has to press regularly to tell them that everything is alright aboard. They cost probably 1500 euros since it is the value of the caution.
Plus Jamais seul - CLS, fournisseur incontournable des balises de localisation des aventuriers de l'extrême

But I was not only talking about trackers but about the interface, meaning the race map and the weather information on that map that is provided to follow the race. That is what is really bad on British races and normally those maps make a reference to Yellow brick. Don't know if Yellow Brick can work with other visual interface.

French interface also gives speed over the last 4 hours and speed over the last 24 hours. Instantaneous speed at the time of reporting means very little.
Old 29-11-2015, 13:55   #172

Quote:
Yes the trackers from French solo racing are probably more expensive. They are made by CLS and they have a system that the skipper has to press regularly to tell them that everything is alright aboard. They cost probably 1500 euros since it is the value of the caution.
Plus Jamais seul - CLS, fournisseur incontournable des balises de localisation des aventuriers de l'extrême

But I was not only talking about trackers but about the interface, meaning the race map and the weather information on that map that is provided to follow the race. That is what is really bad on British races and normally those maps make a reference to Yellow brick. Don't know if Yellow Brick can work with other visual interface.

French interface also gives speed over the last 4 hours and speed over the last 24 hours. Instantaneous speed at the time of reporting means very little.
Be grateful the ARC does not use Spot. No speed and you can only see the last 50 or so position reports so you cannot see the whole journey in one go.
Old 29-11-2015, 14:43   #173
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:

So, what tracker are you talking about?

E.g. LEO (from CLS) is Iridium based, and Geovoile can (IMHO) visualise any tracker. (The question is if a particular company will share the data with external applications).

Look at this picture. I think it may be last MT. The tracker looks like what?

I am still in the dark as to that French secret weapon.

As far as Geovoile is concerned, they are OK but not perfect either. They seem to have a large segment but I have seen their alternatives in action too (can't bet my money on but since I was watching that was either VG or VOR).

I am not sure the French have their own tracker. I have not seen one.

Geovoile and CLS will visualise whatever you want them to. But they must be granted access to the data by whoever provides (Iridium, Imnarsat, Argos, Globalstar or simply the party receiving the data from the mobile (e.g. onshore crew, routers, management, etc.)

b.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tracker.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	252.9 KB
ID:	114051  
Old 29-11-2015, 15:46   #174

Yes CLS provides the trackers You can see them if you look at the site, on the left (they will appear). Hoppy have already posted it.
That is what the French use. CLS have 20 years of experience on sailboat tracking devices.
They are the ones that operate Argus beacons. The trackers they put on the boats if not Argus are Argus derived (they look similar).
Segments sol & opérations - CLS

Here a mini with one:
Old 29-11-2015, 16:57   #175

And on the ARC+ the Halberg Rassy 54 and the Southerly 49 have already arrived, the Halberg 20m sooner.

The Next two are at 30nm from the finish, separated by 2k, a Lagoon 380 and a Oyster 545. Further back a Leopard 44 and a Baltic 52.
Old 30-11-2015, 03:53   #176

After all that Oyster 545 arrived considerably sooner than the Lagoon 380 (several hours) even so the Lagoon 380 is the smaller boat to arrive yet and making it on 11th place and 4th among the cats is awesome.

A performance as good as the one of the Southerly 49, the smaller mono hull yet that arrived 7 hours before, specially considering that neither of them is a performance boat.

Also arrived already the Baltic 52 and the Leopard 44, these two really close and almost arriving the 2th Fountain Pajot 67, the Azuree 46 and the Jeanneau 54DS that will arrive close.

Today the special award goes to a heavy and slow Island Packet 420 that on the trade winds is not that slow.The Packet sails at the same pace of a Catalina 42 and they sail close to the 2th and 3th Lagoon 400, way ahead of 2 slightly bigger modern monohulls (2 Bavaria 44) and way ahead of several cats (Fountain Pajot 40, a new FP Lipari 41, a Lagoon 420 and a Lagoon 39).

The VOR65 (on the ARC) is at only 180nm from the finish while the Fountain Pajot 67 is at about 80. The FP67 is going to arrive first, but not for much. The VOR 65 (discounting the time that FP67 had been stopped on Cabo Verde) had won about 8 days to the bigger cat. Off course one is a Condo cat, the other a top racer but the difference is still amazing.
Old 30-11-2015, 04:31   #177

On the ARC the Neel 45 is sailing in lighter winds and was caught by the the X562 that sails more to the South. The X562 is also sailing in light winds but it seems to be faster on those conditions.

The first Outremer 51 seems also to be slower on lighter winds and the Pogo50 is almost sailing on its wake and going faster almost 1k.

A Baltic 56 is going at the same pace of the Pogo 50 and it is side by side with the Outremer 51.

On the lighter winds performance monohulls, even small one like the Sunfast 3600, the Dufour 40e, the Grand Soleil 43, the Maestro 40 or the Luffe 37 shine and are among the fastest boats on the fleet wining time to bigger monohulls and cats.

The difference in wind pressure between the Northern courses and Southern courses will increase dramatically on the next hours and it will be very interesting to see how the 3 boats on the Southern course (Baltic 62, SW72 and SO54DS) will take advantage of that.

Now the Baltic 62, that is ahead on that group, has a disadvantage to the Neel 45 of 260nm. I will be interested into seeing what will be that disadvantage in two days.
Old 30-11-2015, 06:31   #178

Something very strange with the VOR65: they are going downwind tacking 90º???? Do they have blown away all the Spinnakers? Even if they have plenty of wind and are doing 13.3k the VMG is not great that way.

On the zone where the Outremer 51 and the Pogo 50 are sailing the winds continue to be light for downwind sailing (12K). Both boats are very near, probably at sighting distance, on the same course and on those conditions the Pogo continues to win over the Outremer, sailing almost a knot faster.
Old 30-11-2015, 15:18   #179

Quote:
Something very strange with the VOR65: they are going downwind tacking 90º???? Do they have blown away all the Spinnakers? Even if they have plenty of wind and are doing 13.3k the VMG is not great that way.
I don't think they are equipped with spinnakers. I never saw one flying when watching countless hours of video during the last VOR

Anyway, they are in port and a new record set...

from the ARC site

Team Brunel sail in to Saint Lucia to set a new ARC Course Record
30 November 2015

VO65 Team Brunel (NED) has broken the ARC Course Record sailing from Las Palmas de Gran Canaria to Rodney Bay, Saint Lucia in an elapse time of 8d 7h 39m 30s. This is the third consecutive year that the Course Record has been beaten; a year ago, super-maxi Farr 100 Leopard by Finland took over two days off the previous record set by Caro, a Knierim 65 in 2013. ‘Near-perfect’ conditions for this year’s crossing have seen Team Brunel propelled towards Saint Lucia and into the ARC history books for breaking the record in the rally’s 30th edition.

The 15 strong crew on the round the world racing yacht consists of 5 professional sailors and 10 experienced amateurs who were chasing a bucket list adventure and they have not been disappointed! From the day ARC 2015 set sail from Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Team Brunel has sprinted to the sun-soaked shores of Saint Lucia, with an average VMG of 13.5kts since the start and top wave surfing speeds of double that at times. Persistent north easterly winds due to the well-established Azores High have allowed them to zig-zag the rhumb line route for much of their crossing. Interestingly, the total distance covered on their transatlantic route is greater than the two previous record holders at 3342NM.

But their ARC experience has not been without drama and on Sunday, On Board Reporter Koen Lockefeer announced a potentially disastrous mainsail tear had occurred during a routine gybe. After a night reefed down, it was all hands on deck for a race ready repair the following morning, “Johnny and Tomas started to organize the ripped sail part, climbing up the end of the swinging boom. They tied the top and bottom end of the sail together with lashes between the sail battens as if the ripped middle part had never been there. All hands on deck again to hoist the sail to max height, about as high as 1.5 reef and carefully sheet in the main again. To everyone’s joy the boat started speeding off again … As the old sailor’s wisdom states: before you can win a race you first have to finish it. The broken mainsail and subsequent repair were a very close escape from not finishing at all.”
Team Brunel were welcomed to Saint Lucia at 16:24 local time (20:24 UTC) and greeted by representatives from the Saint Lucia Tourist Board and IGY Rodney Bay Marina. The crew were presented with an ice-cold rum punch and welcome basket of island gifts to celebrate their arrival.

Celebrations are likely to continue for much of the evening around Rodney Bay. Team Brunel’s nearest ARC rivals, Durlindana 3 (ITA) are still some way off reaching their berth in the Marina, and are currently expected to arrive around 20:00 local time on Thursday 3rd December. In the ARC Multihull division, trimaran La Caravelle (FRA) has consistently led the fleet and is expected to arrive on the 5th December if conditions hold. Boats in the Cruising Division will enjoy life at sea for a while longer; over the coming days many will celebrate their own milestones reaching half-way and are enjoying calmer conditions after a breezy departure from Las Palmas just over a week ago.

However the Team Brunel crew will no doubt be embraced by their fellow arrivals from the ARC+ fleet. Departing from their stopover in Mindelo, Cape Verdes five days earlier than the ARC fleet left Las Palmas, and with a shorter distance to sail to Rodney Bay, 18 of the 59 ARC+ boats have made land fall so far.
Old 30-11-2015, 16:07   #180

Quote:
I don't think they are equipped with spinnakers. I never saw one flying when watching countless hours of video during the last VOR
The sails on the VOR are regulated and all boats carry the same sails, not here or in any other race where they can sail whatever they want.

Anyway on the VOR they carry asymmetrical spinnakers: A gennaker and a fractional code 0 spinnaker.
The driving force - Seahorse Magazine

Tags
arc

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: