Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2016, 15:16   #31

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: Anyone seen the movie Abandoned on Netflix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post
It happened in 1989, and the Captain was clear that he purposely was a "minimalist" who didn't want to rely on technology.
Yep, telemovie set in 1989...

Struth... I only bought my first VHF in 87. Sat phone? As an 'early adapter' I bought my first cellphone in 92.....
Old 14-07-2016, 15:45   #32

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyapex View Post
Over in the uk and trying to find it on Netflix. It's not on
The abandoned is ( a ***** horror film ) I do wonder if that is what gets 5/10 on rotten tomatoes too .
Anyone got a link to the Netflix listing please ?
Try Amazon. Its available in the US on Amazon too. Not Amazon Prime though.
Old 14-07-2016, 17:35   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveaboard60 View Post
Just watched it the other night, and a couple of things got me about the movie.. The captain should have been better equipped electronically.. The lack of a sat phone when you are beyond radio distance is not forgivable these days.. They are not expensive.. Then did you notice how clean the bottom of the hull happened to be?? The captain seemed like a guy used to cutting corners.. It didn't seem like he would have had a sparkling clean bottom hull.. flk k
No Sat phones in those days, The owner skipper John Glenie was a yacht builder and designer and a capable sailor.

Tripped the drogue on the rudder I think.

The choice of multi hull for southern ocean sailing is always on your toes.

A close to 50ft (size ?) cat which was near a new boat capsized there a few months ago, They had a Sat phone or something similar and were siting in their dingy between the upturned hulls, when rescued.
peter57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 22:47   #34

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Never let facts get in the way of a good yarn--how in the hell could they not know where they were and which way they were drifting??
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2016, 08:54   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Never let facts get in the way of a good yarn--how in the hell could they not know where they were and which way they were drifting??
I never talked to John (skipper- owner, designer, builder) about what happen but did to his close friends, and have not seen this film. But how do you know which way you are drifting with out any navigation gear to work with, if you do your a better navigator than I, and he was not Polynesian. Hmmm. The film must be far from what happen.
peter57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2016, 11:25   #36

Its not hard to navigate with a sextant even if your boat is upside down. The movie shows the boat as floating high and fairly livable, with a hole cut in the bottom for going outside. The boat used in the movie had a small outboard for propulsion, and was much lighter than most cruising multihulls.
Old 15-07-2016, 11:41   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I thought the boat in the move floating impossibly high, surely nothing is that light?
But, it was a movie, shot by people that know nothing at all about boats, and don't care either. I don't want to spoil the movie, but it's a movie thing, I see movies about flying that are just plain stupid.
Saw a cave diving movie where they wore full face helmets that were lit inside so you could see the actors faces, if you have a light in your face, how you going to see out? Then they were buddy breathing a rebreather, with a full face mask, just plain stupid, but you have to say to yourself, it's a movie and the average movie goer knows nothing about rebreathers or cave diving, clam down
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2016, 14:39   #38

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Its not hard to navigate with a sextant even if your boat is upside down. .....
They would have known where they were even without a sextant.... warmer?... going north,,, colder??? going south..... sun setting later? going west.....

No trouble at all knowing where they were within a 500 mile radius.

I'm not too sure what they would have done with that knowledge though. Put away the french phrase book and got out the spanish one maybe?
Old 15-07-2016, 14:45   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I thought the boat in the move floating impossibly high, surely nothing is that light?

A trimaran, so the ama's would most likely be completely sealed, fairly bare bones boat, built from plywood, it would float pretty high.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2016, 17:15   #40

I actually didn't finish the movie (saw it a week ago). But it was a good reminder to choose your companions wisely when out in nature and the worse case could be survival conditions - not only on ocean voyages but have seen seemingly 'nice' folks turn nasty or unreliable in tough situations on mountain and river trips (e.g. Grand Canyon).
bumpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2016, 18:56   #41

Deliverance?
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2016, 20:15   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpman View Post
I actually didn't finish the movie (saw it a week ago). But it was a good reminder to choose your companions wisely when out in nature and the worse case could be survival conditions - not only on ocean voyages but have seen seemingly 'nice' folks turn nasty or unreliable in tough situations on mountain and river trips (e.g. Grand Canyon).
You should have finished the movie--it gets better later.
Old 16-07-2016, 06:10   #43

Boat: Club Sailor; various

Coincidentally just rented it from RedBox last night. I enjoyed it and was generally impressed by the ingenuity of the crew.

Afterwards I was curious what the track of the boat might have been for the 119 days. I Googled it but no success. Anyone know a source?
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2016, 06:15   #44

Boat: Club Sailor; various

What about the first critical decision to put up more sail and run with the storm? I think the forecast was for 35+ kts of wind and 20' swells. 20/20 hindsight aside, good idea or bad?
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2016, 06:32   #45

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFrog75 View Post
Coincidentally just rented it from RedBox last night. I enjoyed it and was generally impressed by the ingenuity of the crew.

Afterwards I was curious what the track of the boat might have been for the 119 days. I Googled it but no success. Anyone know a source?
No real clue and I am a total newb, but looking at e map, if the storms they encountered before they flipped, pushed them a little north of their initial track, they might encountered the south pacific gyre. With out steering they would have a free ride home.

Tags
movie