Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Do you like blue water passages?
I love passages and look forward to the next 67 67.68%
Passages are okay 26 26.26%
I dislike & avoid passages 5 5.05%
I absolutely hate passages 1 1.01%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2017, 19:40   #16

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.1
Re: Anyone out there like blue water passages?

More than a week at sea and I'm ready to find an island. Fortunately, there are plenty of them scattered about Micronesia.
hafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 19:42   #17

Boat: 53' Amel Super Maramu

I really do like passages, particularly longer passages in the Trades. I think we had 3 days where I'm not sure I touched a sheet, the autopilot, or the helm between the Galápagos and the Marquesas. My daughter actually commented about 2 days out of Fatu Hiva that it was almost sad the trip was ending that quickly (~19 days). Even the more reportedly 'difficult' or rougher passages like Fiji down to NZ (& back up) and Bonaire down to Columbia were fun for me as I enjoyed the planning, weather routing challenges and the execution of them.

On passages shorter than 3 days though, I found ok but not as relaxing as no one seems to get 'into the groove' as well. My wife, who is badly affected by seasickness, particularly doesn't like these shorter passages as there's effectively no reward for her. Just as she's getting over her seasickness, the passage is over so she never gets to enjoy the trip, just the destination on these short ones. Longer passages (>6 days though we're fine for her).
Hobie_ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 19:53   #18

Boat: Landlocked right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Its not the journey, its the destination......bring on teleportation :-)

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
The journey is the destination!
Old 30-01-2017, 20:13   #19
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I enjoy a long sail.
I enjoy the feeling of being "out there."
I enjoy the rhythm of the boat, and adjusting myself to it.
I enjoy the unexpected things, like a huge school of dolphins, or bioluminescence, or stars reflected on calm sea, or an albatross or visiting bird who is far from land too.
I enjoy the arrival at the destination, but more so after a good passage.

I like it so much that I am making myself available to assist if anyone needs crew on a long passage this year. The longer the better, but any can be a pleasure and memorable too.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 20:13   #20

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

I'm pretty sure I will. I'm only new at this game and haven't done any crossings so I didn't vote.

Not the same I know but spent 3 or 4 days coming down the Queensland coast without going ashore, loved it.

The idea of no outside responsibilities and independence, nothing else you can, should, or could be doing at that time has a great appeal to me.

I hope I'm right.
Old 30-01-2017, 21:10   #21

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

I enjoy the sense of disconnect from the world that I get after a few days on a passage.
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 23:49   #22

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

you need one more category -- don't really enjoy them don't really hate them just something you have to do if you are going to do any long range cruising

and that is us -just something we have to do - it is necessary if you want to do any out of the way cruising
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 23:52   #23

Boat: Outbound 44

Passages are better than OK and less than Love, so I didn't vote. There's plenty of challenge, along with stress and anxiety. Getting there safely while handling the weather thrown at you is a real feeling of accomplishment.
Old 31-01-2017, 01:46   #24

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoxograph View Post
The journey is the destination!
Nope.....for me the destination is the destination!!! Maybe I need to read " the power of now"

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 03:11   #25

Boat: Landlocked right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
...Maybe I need to read " the power of now
Don't. I tried to read it, did not get at all what he was talking about, stopped reading after 30 pages ...
Old 31-01-2017, 04:22   #26

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoxograph View Post
Don't. I tried to read it, did not get at all what he was talking about, stopped reading after 30 pages ...
The "secret" is on page 31.
The point is that right now, this second, is all you have.
Old 31-01-2017, 04:40   #27

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limpet View Post

So my question is, does anyone actually like passages, look forward to passages?
What about this one:

+ the following 14 episodes: water, ocean, sky, birds, more water, more sky ...

Life is good.
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 04:59   #28

Boat: Valiant 40

I think long passages are OK. They have their unique pluses and minuses.

The biggest minus for me is that on truly long passages, there's pretty much nothing but sea and sky...no birds, no wildlife, no nuttin'. Other minuses are the stress involved...preparation, maintenance, fixing stuff, and general (if low level) anxiety about something going wrong. When you're 1800 miles from anywhere, if you're not a little concerned about bad stuff happening then there is something wrong with you. And really bad weather when you're far out in the open ocean is exhausting, both mentally and physically.

I also don't like the vertigo I get when back ashore. Finished one 25 day passage and almost fell off a 15' wide dock while trying to walk right down the middle. It passes relatively quickly, but it's disconcerting while it happens.

Upside is that after a few days of acclimating, you settle into a unique rhythm of life that is like no other. The watch schedule and routine is entirely different than life ashore or on a short hop. Your perception of time changes and is entirely wedded to the cycle of the day and your own duties on the boat. And there is, at the end, a sense of accomplishment that is wonderful, no matter how many times you've done it. It might actually be a sense of relief, that's it over, I'm not sure.

I also like that I lose weight during a passage. I'm not overweight, but it's always nice to shed a few extra pounds along the way.

These days, I'll do it if it presents the opportunity for a unique experience, but it's not something I pine for to say the least.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 08:05   #29

Once you get over the first couple of days then you get into a rhythm and are able to sleep eat and stay watch automatically. Then with good trades and warm climes everything is great and you get that Zen-like meditative state.
Nadezhda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 08:13   #30

Boat: In between boat ownership

It is very much about the personal psychological make-up of the skipper and crew. I have been around the planet nearly twice and all the major oceans and coastal stretches and find that after the first couple of days and nights at sea that a routine sets in that works for everyone...especially if you are fairly laid back about daytime watch schedules after difficult night hours. If there is no wind or very little wind the sail becomes one about fixing things, reading, sharing experiences and paying more attention to weather and your sail plan...tossing up a spinnaker during the day if you have one and reflection. If the boat is loaded with type "A" personalities, a three day sail can become like a prison, itching to end it all as fast as possible. I find older folk do much better at long passages of weeks or more. Young people seem to go stir crazy without social media handy and lots of self-soothing me, me, me. The tougher the weather, the better for me, assuming that the boat is built to take it with reefing and weather planning. Like I said, the collective personalities at sea can make or break the passage-making.
bravenewworld is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
passage, water