Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2018, 12:20   #1

Anyone have one of these Flexifold propellers?

https://flexofold.com/folding-propel...ing-propeller/

They gave me a price of $1750 factory direct and delivered. Would be nice to hear from someone who has used this composite prop for a while.
dexport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 17:44   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Anyone have one of these Flexifold propellers?

I changed the title, reason is I’m sure many have flexifold props, but not as many will look with that title.
I’m trying to assist your task of getting informed opinions.
I want to think one of our Mods has run one for years and is very happy with it, but not certain.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 18:05   #3

Boat: Tartan 37
Re: Anyone have one of these Flexifold propellers?

I think these are very new, don't think you'll find many out there with miles. I have the standard two blade Flexifold for over 15 years. I'm going to the three blade, looking for a little smoother runout. Price sounds high to me. Maybe try the boat shows. I paid about half that for the std two blade. Never had much of a issue with pitting and most I have is on the blades.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 02:55   #4

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

We have the same props (smaller 14" though) on our cat. Very happy with them. Gained a solid .5 to .75 motoring and 1 knot sailing, plus much better motorsailing efficiency also.
I would order extra tab washers as they are flimsy and don't like repeated bending. We only have about 900 miles on ours though since we installed in August. While it does say the hub is unaffected by electrolysis don't confuse that with the blades as they are still effected. We've seen a little bit of wasting of the blade zincs, and glad we ordered extras. They should offer them for free.
We did prop speed ours, the hub doesn't get the yellow primer , just the clear coat, so far, very happy with it
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 04:55   #5

We have been using a 3 blade Flexofold now for close to 3 years and it's given us excellent performance under diesel and under sail. Be careful with factory suggestions regarding size and pitch, ours was off and had to be replaced and costs were not born by the factory.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 06:14   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
We have been using a 3 blade Flexofold now for close to 3 years and it's given us excellent performance under diesel and under sail. Be careful with factory suggestions regarding size and pitch, ours was off and had to be replaced and costs were not born by the factory.
Thanks for your feedback, I was more interested in hear from people who'd brought the composite version but thanks anyway. Out of interest, what did Flexofold recommend and was it too big or too small.
dexport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 10:03   #7

Boat: X Yacht, 1 ton, 40'
Send a message via Skype™ to grjfield

I'm also interested in what Flexofold recommended..whether it was too big or small..as well as pitch.
I have a 2 blade flexofold folding (15")...with an electric motor. Very happy with it so far. ...however...
Because prop size and pitch recs are based on diesel typically, I suspect my prop is likely undersized. Or put another way, because of the instant torque, I suspect I could have a much larger prop or pitch and get better performance at low revs.
I'd be interested if anyone has any thoughts on prop recommendations where electric boats are concerned.
grjfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 11:11   #8

You really have two decisions here. 1) Should you buy a Flexofold prop - "yes". 2) Should you buy the composite or bronze version (which both have bronze blades but the hub is a different material).

I love my my three blade bronze flexofold prop but would be slow to go from a proven system to the composite unless I knew what problem I was trying to solve. Is the composite a lot cheaper? Are the electrolysis problems in the hubs on saildrives really severe? I've only heard good things about Flexofold bronze props. Never anything about elecctrolysis as long as the zincs are maintained (which are really easy to change)
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 13:45   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

@A64pilot:

We have a Flex-o-Fold 3 blade bronze prop, and are happy with it, it's about 14 yrs., now. No experience with the composite, so not much to say. It's comparing dissimilar products.

Someone else asked if there are dissimilar metals problems with saildrives. Yes. Sometimes severe.

Ann
Old 04-01-2018, 15:12   #10

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
We have the same props (smaller 14" though) on our cat. Very happy with them. Gained a solid .5 to .75 motoring and 1 knot sailing, plus much better motorsailing efficiency also.
Are yours on saildrives? I need new props and am considering Luke feathering props. However, price may be a deciding factor!

I have an 04 Leopard 42 with shaft drives. Anyone have the folding on shafts and is your experience positive?

Sorry for the slightly thread drift..
Old 04-01-2018, 15:26   #11

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
Are yours on saildrives? I need new props and am considering Luke feathering props. However, price may be a deciding factor!

I have an 04 Leopard 42 with shaft drives. Anyone have the folding on shafts and is your experience positive?

Yes on yanmars sd20's
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 16:21   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post

Yes, I have two on my 1999 Leopard 45, with shaft drives like yours. I think the props are great, but also had problems with them recommending a prop that is over-propped. They used the info I gave them, which was correct, and sent the recommended size which turns out to be incorrect. They have been utterly unresponsive, either the company in Denmark or the rep in Massachusetts. Sad, because the props are great, but this has been going on for about 15 months. If I were you, I would say, " since prop size will be your recommendation and since you have a poor rep for getting it correct, how will you back it up?" And I would be very curious to hear the answer.

But it's a great prop and you will be glad you got them. I can only get about 13% of my rated RPM, which is not "by the book", but I am living with it as my engines have lots of extra power. Deliberate over-propping is recommended by some, condemned by others, and is another discussion.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 16:34   #13

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
I can only get about 13% of my rated RPM,
Say what??? 13 %??? Hard to believe... maybe a typo?

But FWIW, when we bought our FOF 3 blade, via the dealer in Mass., they got the pitch and diam spot on. I've not heard of their being poor at this task, and know several others who have the props.

Jim
Old 04-01-2018, 16:37   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexport View Post
Thanks for your feedback, I was more interested in hear from people who'd brought the composite version but thanks anyway. Out of interest, what did Flexofold recommend and was it too big or too small.
I gave them my engine type gear box specs boat type etc. It was a brand new Beta which produced peak power at 2800 rpm.I asked them to not over prop it but at full throttle and top speed I wanted to reach the peak rpm but I didn't want the engine limiter cutting in early. They suggested an 18" prop with a pitch of 13 because this would give me hull speed at even lower rpm but it left power to be used in headwinds and choppy seas. I hauled the boat and installed the prop, thought of doing it underwater but it turned out to be a good decision as it broke my prop puller and required a hydraulic one to final remove the old prop.
The install went fine and the prop was made beautifully, quite impressed. Splashed it and took it out for a full power run..the engine didnt quite make 2400 rpm. I was well over propped and at full throttle the smoke of unburned fuel was very evident. Talked to Beta and they confirmed that it was too much prop for the engine and i should change it but no panic. I discussed this with Flexofold and they were quite defensive but redid their calculations and suggested we go with a 17" w 13 prop. I ended up paying for the new blades and a restocking charge on the old blades plus shipping both ways. And a new haul out. The new blades did arrive in a timely matter but there was now bad blood between us on their customer service. The new blades still didn't meet spec, still over propped but were close enough that I gave it a pass. So to sum up...very good product, I'm happy with it. Customer service when they make a mistake leaves a lot to be desired. I'll still give them a positive rating on the quality of their product but their service, if needed, not so much.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 18:24   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Say what??? 13 %??? Hard to believe... maybe a typo?

But FWIW, when we bought our FOF 3 blade, via the dealer in Mass., they got the pitch and diam spot on. I've not heard of their being poor at this task, and know several others who have the props.

Jim

OOOPS! Good catch, Jim. I am 13% under rated speed, which is a little different!!!

The Mass dealer said the calculations were done in Denmark, and they don't sell enough props nor is the margin high enough to make it worthwhile for them to carry a selection of re-conditioned blades, so he would ask Denmark if they want to "participate" in correcting things. Denmark seems not to ever reply, and Mass never follows up. When I call Denmark, personally, they say that "something is wrong", and to check Mass. No one ever volunteers new blades, or any credit for new blades or anything else. Or even calls back. Mass says Denmark sells around them, through other dealers. I think I have made every single call, myself.

The props are a wonderful product, but rarely, if ever, have I had such woeful service.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote