Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2016, 09:30   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45
Re: Anybody with first hand experience with 15x70 binoculars on a boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
There's a good reason 7x's are used for boating. I've brought small 10x's with me one time. That was one time too many - useless. 15x's??? Simply no way unless stabilized.
I agree. We have several pairs aboard as with kids we need them. We have a pair of Fujinon stabi binoculars which are superb but eat their batteries. Our other bino's are all Steiners 7x50 and they are also excellent with two pairs being bought second hand cheaply.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 11:20   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Have the Fujinon stabilized binoculars that I use mostly from our Lanai to check out the boats sailing by about a couple of miles below. Without the stabilization turned on, they are useless without a solid tripod and I mean one of those expensive industrial strength tripods. Hand held, the image is so jerky can't really make out any detail. With the stabilization on can read the names on the transom if it's in big enough scrip. Problem for hand held use is they are heavy. After a minute or two of steady use, the weight really becomes an issue. Can't imagine trying to use a high powered unstabilized binocular on the moving deck of a boat.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 12:04   #18

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

FWIW, we've had a pair of Canon stabilized 10x30 on the boat for about five years. They were relatively inexpensive (~300 usd) and the optics are pretty poor, but the combnation of higher magnification and the stabilizer makes them very useful. They are also quite light, unlike some other brands. They are not waterproof and don't have a compass, but have survived life on board and a lot of usage for the reported 5 years. i use them for day to day sailing, but in low light or when I need to see detail, I go back to our 25 year old 7x50 Fujinons... a different world of vision IMO.

While using them, if I do not push the stabilize button, they are kinda useless, so the idea of using higher magnification on board sans stabilizing is, to me, ludicrous. Perhaps others are more adroit at compensating for boat and hand motion than I am.

Jim
Old 18-02-2016, 13:19   #19

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

When you go shopping for bino's, take along a copy of a Zeiss Optical Resolution chart, like this http://couger.com/microscope/Ted%20C...ftodigfig7.JPG
By viewing it with the various candidates, it'll let you easily discern which set(s) of optics work the best for you. And try this both in the store, & out front, with the pattern 100m+ away, if you can.

Also, get the store to dim the lights in your test area, or move to an area where they can do such for you. As quality differences in glass show up a Lot more in non-perfect lighting.
Plus, it'll give you the opportunity to try out tuning the diopter adjustments. -> The dials on the eyepieces with the +/- signs. Because as the light dims, you'll want to adjust these, as it'll improve the performance of the optics. So it's another thing to compare.

Too, check & see if the diopter adjustments have a locking mechanisim, & or whether they turn smoothly, or rotate with delineated clicks.
The locking feature is handy in that your settings don't change if the bino's get bumped around a bit.
And you DO want bino's which have individually focusing eyepieces.

On Refurbished bino's, you can even get high end Steiner's like this... for cheap (relatively). Albeit, commonly, with a 1/2 length warranty as compared to a new pair. But mine are 17yrs old, & still work great (they're refurbs).

PS: Keep a cheap pair around for guests, or kids. So that you wont worry about your good ones getting dinged.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 13:53   #20

Boat: H36

Just remember high end Stiener's are only a medium quality binocular at best. In the world of high quality glasses they are not mentioned.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailor Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 14:50   #21

Boat: a sailing boat

I have used the biggest Canon stabis and they were AMAZING. Otherwise, I cannot use otherwise big binnocs except for when I rest on the deck and look into the stars with a pillow under by head.

You may run into similar challenges with 15x70 - great picture, just a bit too shaky to truly enjoy ...

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 18:28   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

I have 7X50 waterproof for the boat. They are best all around for most conditions. Our 35 tons makes the boat pretty stable even in a moderate chop. I also have a high quality 12X50 waterproof N2 filled originally for hunting & spotting game. These are OK on the boat in peaceful conditions and can be steadied using structure on the boat. At anchor in a quiet lagoon - great. Once it gets rolling - not much use. It is nice to have the good glass for star gazing on a moonless night on a still deck or the beach. As long as you have the 7X50, by all means, pick up a stronger set. For stars, good glass is a must. Try them out with others to compare. Head outdoors and look critically at distant signage as though you were attempting the eye chart.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 18:51   #23

Boat: C&C 40

I have a pair of Steiner 10X50 on our boat and they are much better than our Fugi 7x50. Ted..
Ted and Relinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 13:56   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

The more I think about it, having a set of 15 X 70 - if its good glass, would be a hoot once in a while. We really enjoy our 12 X 50 for star gazing. The glass is pretty good so you can resolve the milky way into its billions of stars in the field of view. If the glass on 15 X 70 is good, it would be pretty nice. I've hunted with a 15 X 70 night vision scope. It was awesome. I say GO FOR IT.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 14:23   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
The more I think about it, having a set of 15 X 70 - if its good glass, would be a hoot once in a while. We really enjoy our 12 X 50 for star gazing. The glass is pretty good so you can resolve the milky way into its billions of stars in the field of view. If the glass on 15 X 70 is good, it would be pretty nice. I've hunted with a 15 X 70 night vision scope. It was awesome. I say GO FOR IT.
For the times you can get to use 15 x 70's, you are right, they are an amazing experience. Even those Celestron's.

There aren't many nights a year when we get perfect viewing, but when they come around, with pretty much the limit of manageable binoculars being 15 x 70's (e.g. with dad comfy on his lounger), they really are worth having close at hand to be able to grab.

For all round general use though, it really is tough to beat 7 x 50's. My old Russian ones (great glass and coatings) have had a hammering for 30+ years.

A tip for quickly finding rubbish lenses that haven't been polished to the edges (incomplete polishing has a big effect too). Hold them at arms length and look through them from the objective lens end.

If you can see a square or diamond shape, they have only been polished in the centre of the lenses.
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 15:01   #26

Boat: H36

Celestron 15x70 are only worth $50. If you would like a pair at that price I will sell you mine. My Nikon 8x42's can see more stars as long as you don't count fuzzy balls.

Sailor Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 07:39   #27

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Doug View Post
Celestron 15x70 are only worth $50. If you would like a pair at that price I will sell you mine. My Nikon 8x42's can see more stars as long as you don't count fuzzy balls.

Any chance you're in PV? Hehe

Well, after reviewing all your posts... I'm still on the fence. We don't spend too many nights on the beach, usually when the sun goes down the dinghy goes up, so if it's useless from the boat it's probably not worth the trouble.

I was able to hand hold the 7x50 pretty decently, maybe I need to research 10x70? I found the celestron, but they're $700!
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2016, 19:23   #28

I ended up going with Nikon Action Extreme 10x50 binoculars, about $135 on amazon.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2016, 19:31   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbreeze27 View Post
I ended up going with Nikon Action Extreme 10x50 binoculars, about $135 on amazon.
Aaanndd.
Come on man we need details .
Old 25-03-2016, 19:55   #30

LOL I don't have them yet. By the time I get them (mid april) and then get away from la paz (where it's dark) and then back it will be late april.
The Nikons got good reviews, and they have a 25 year world wide warranty, so that was appealing.

The 10x50 Action Extreme ATB Binocular from Nikon is a general purpose optic that offers a weather-sealed housing and slip-resistant handling. Additionally, Action Extreme ATB binoculars are equipped with a fully multicoated optical path that displays a 59.2° apparent viewing angle. Nikon's Eco-Glass optics are made of environmentally-friendly lenses and prisms that don't contain lead or arsenic. Complementing the image quality and nitrogen-filled housing are Turn-and-Slide eyecups and a 17mm eye relief, allowing the viewer to set a comfortable viewing distance even while wearing eyeglasses.
Optical Performance
  • Magnification: 10x
  • Objective lenses: 50mm diameter
  • Apparent viewing angle: 59.2° wide angle
  • Eco-Glass: lenses and prisms don't contain lead or arsenic
  • Fully multicoated optics
  • BAK4 prism glass
  • 17mm eye relief
Use and Handling
  • Turn-and-slide rubber eyecups with multiple click-stop positions
Construction Details
  • Nitrogen-filled for fogproof and waterproof performance