Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2011, 20:16   #1

Boat: Freedom 38
Any Recommended Boatyards in Chesapeake ?

I purchased a 1987 Freedom 38 recently and need some work done on it, including rigging, electronics, and prop/shaft work. I'm currently in the Chesapeake area. Does anyone have any recommendations? (Or who NOT to use??)
mydoggeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 06:10   #2

Boat: Nordhavn 47
Re: Any Recommended Boatyards in Chesapeake ?

I had a considerable amount of work done (rig/engine) at Deltaville Boatyard and while a little pricey they do good professional work and stand by it. The yard and marina is pretty nice as well. They don't allow other contractors to do work in their yard without permission so if you plan on having someone else work on the boat it won't fly but you can do your own work. They seem particularly expensive in the non-skilled labor category so I would encourage negotiations around that if that is needed but the skilled labor rates were in line with others and well worth it as they have some pretty good folks.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 18:36   #3

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Delta Blues

As a general rule, I would stay away from Annapolis for major work. While there are many fine and talented professionals here, my experience the last ten years is that most over-promise and under-deliver and are way too expensive. Some won't return your calls unless you're a mega-yacht.

Sad to say, the general work ethic here is not very conducive to getting good work done on time at a reasonable price.

When I can, I save up jobs and get them done in North Carolina, South Carolina and Florida where the work is appreciated and marine professionals are more likely to fulfill their commitments.

https://sailingdeltablues.com/
dennisjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 18:52   #4

I agree, florida a lot cheaper. Had a complete rerig done in annapolis,and it was $16k, included mast painting etc. missed their promise dates too. Did a great job though.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 18:48   #5

Boat: Electra/Ariel/Triton

try: Young's Boat Yard in Baltimore, Phil Young is a great guy and honest he will steer you in the right direction.
Carl-T705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 19:32   #6

Mydoggeorge, I have friends who say good things from experience with Oxford Boatyard and the marina at Rock Hall. Best of luck!
Choptank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boatyards