Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-01-2014, 18:17   #31

Re: Any advice about capt. License schooling

Thank you for that information. I'm going to Chapman school of seamanship and I will receive a AB 100 ton certificaton. Then to my understanding thay I then have to pass the USCG exam? I'm I right so far?

Old 09-01-2014, 18:29   #32
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 2001 Albin 28TE.

Not sure....

CSY Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 18:38   #33

Boat: 38' French Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherW View Post
Thank you for that information. I'm going to Chapman school of seamanship and I will receive a AB 100 ton certificaton. Then to my understanding thay I then have to pass the USCG exam? I'm I right so far?
The sea school will prep you for the uscg exam, if you pass it you need to submit your seatime forms for each vessel and the uscg decides wha5 you qualify for tonnage wise, you still need to pass a dot drug test and pretty in depth physical, no past mental or serious health or physical conditions,good vision and color perception and a background check w no felonies. My wife had a minor tachycardia issue she doesnt even take meds for anymore and they denied her.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 09-01-2014, 19:07   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Quote:
Not sure what a AB 100 ton licence is. No matter what school you choose, in order to get a licence the requirements are all the same.

When I took my my captains class we had people that obviously had no experience or very little and they did very poorly and ultimatly droped out. In order to take the class, all you had to do is show up with the proper amount of money. In order to get a licence you have to prove experience plus be able to pass the exam, physical, and background checks.

If I were hiring anyone to be on my crew, I would love it if they were all captains. At least I would know that they were smart enough to pass the test, and drug free for at least a month before they took the drug test.

On a different topic, I am wondering if rules could be changed if Marijuana becomes legal. I realize it would have to be legal in the USA and right now even though it may be legal in CO and soon other states, the US would have to also alow it to be legal.
Old 09-01-2014, 19:34   #35

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Here is all the info you need and when you have questions...call them...they will tell you pretty much what is posted on the school sites...they have a great customer service phone set up and you can get a name to the answers you get if there is ever a problem.

I taught captains licensing and so much of what you get from the web is either confusing or incorrect...as other's have said...call a school and talk with a live person or go to the site I linked and start the process....

Home--USCG National Maritime Center
Old 10-01-2014, 08:36   #36

Boat: Sea Ray 270
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
If you are attending a USCG Approved Course, then they school will do the required testing and if you pass, nor further exams will be required for that particular license.

You keep mentioning AB... Are you talking about ABLE SEAMAN?

If so, you realize that that requires additional written testing and practical exams, including Markspike. Also to qualify as an AB, you are required to qualify as a LIFEBOATMAN, which again requires both written and practical exams. Finally to qualify as for an AB Rating, you need valid Sea Time, which used to require working on vessels over 65 feet.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
license, school

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: