Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-09-2013, 04:28   #16

Boat: 38' French Cat
Not sure if it was mentioned but the health requirements for becoming a licensed captain are also very strict. Any heart issues what so ever are almost a certain disqualifier. Depth perception and color vision test, and any mental issues etc are also disqualifers. The sea schools never tell you this as they help you to pass the test and just want your money. You are responsible for all the paperwork all 3 inches of it lol.

Old 16-09-2013, 05:06   #17

Boat: Sea Ray 270
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason
Re: Any advice about capt. License schooling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfinnic View Post
Aloha from the Big Island Hawaii. Anyone have advice on choosing a maritime school. I am currently planning to take classes for 100 ton six pack license probably next summer. I was also thinking about taking a marine engine repair course, should I do diesel or gas engine. Also is there any other certifications which would be indispensable in addition to a 100 ton license.
I took my 100-ton and STCW at Cal Maritime Extended Learning Center in Vallejo, CA (San Francisco Bay Area)

I took my Able Seaman and Radar Unlimited at Maritime Institute in San Diego, CA.

I took my Lifeboatman course at TRL in San Diego...

Both Cal Maritime and Maritime Institute offer 100ton Courses. I would recommend all three schools.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 05:21   #18
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Skookum 53'

Don't forget the UA, criminal background check, fingerprinting, and the TWIC card requirements. I think you must be mental, if you even want to apply for a captain's license anymore. It is much easier to run unlicensed and if they catch you, what are they going to do, take away your birthday? If you go licensed they have a 900 lb. hammer to hang over your head, if you make a mistake, there are both criminal and civil liabilities, it is not something to enter into lightly. If you are ever involved in any kind of casualty, regardless of your role, you will be looked to as the liable party.
Old 16-09-2013, 06:38   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
Don't forget the UA, criminal background check, fingerprinting, and the TWIC card requirements. I think you must be mental, if you even want to apply for a captain's license anymore. It is much easier to run unlicensed and if they catch you, what are they going to do, take away your birthday? If you go licensed they have a 900 lb. hammer to hang over your head, if you make a mistake, there are both criminal and civil liabilities, it is not something to enter into lightly. If you are ever involved in any kind of casualty, regardless of your role, you will be looked to as the liable party.
I've seen two people get really screwed by unlicensed charters. In San Diego a few different agencies get their slice of revenue and by going outside the rules you run afoul of them. Which isn't really the problem. Who will burn you to the ground is the guy running the legal charter who catches wind of what you're doing, because he's jumping through all the hoops and watching you charge less and pocket more.

On a sport fisher I worked on the owner had to pay a $1k fine for operating a charter without a license (he had a drug conviction, couldn't get a license). Then another guy (illegally) ran charters on his ~70' boat got kicked out of the marina he was in, and then imagine finding a slip for a 70' boat in an area with very few vacant slips of any size. Turned into a huge cluster for him.

That's San Diego anyway. Maybe in a more remote area with less policing you can get away with it. But every government agency, and the USCG, will pounce on you the minute they get a phone call.
Old 16-09-2013, 07:00   #20

Boat: Morgan 27

Although I agree with all that has been said, another option is Chapman School Of Seamanship. They have a professional mariner course that has a lot of hands on. They also have a job placement service for entry level placement. Geared towards the 100 ton and sixpack they teach what you need to pass the test along with boat handling, navigation, and engineering skills. I went there when I was nineteen and had a 100 ton with a commercial job by twenty one.
Old 16-09-2013, 07:46   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: research vessel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I've seen two people get really screwed by unlicensed charters. In San Diego a few different agencies get their slice of revenue and by going outside the rules you run afoul of them. Which isn't really the problem. Who will burn you to the ground is the guy running the legal charter who catches wind of what you're doing, because he's jumping through all the hoops and watching you charge less and pocket more.

On a sport fisher I worked on the owner had to pay a $1k fine for operating a charter without a license (he had a drug conviction, couldn't get a license). Then another guy (illegally) ran charters on his ~70' boat got kicked out of the marina he was in, and then imagine finding a slip for a 70' boat in an area with very few vacant slips of any size. Turned into a huge cluster for him.

That's San Diego anyway. Maybe in a more remote area with less policing you can get away with it. But every government agency, and the USCG, will pounce on you the minute they get a phone call.
Agreed, it is very obvious to the legitimate charter companies who the illegal charter boats are, and they do call the Coast Guard. This is actually a good thing because it helps keep the public safe. Would you ever want to fly on a jet with unlicensed pilots and an aircraft not inspected by the FAA?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 08:07   #22

Boat: Sea Ray 270
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
It is much easier to run unlicensed and if they catch you, what are they going to do, take away your birthday?
How about a fine of up to $32,000 dollars in civil penalties and possible jail time?

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 10:03   #23
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yeah, I figured to catch some flak for that statement.
Old 16-09-2013, 10:04   #24

About a year ago, I looked into renewing my license and asked for advice here on CF. I got a boatload of advice and most of it was wrong. I talked to 3 schools in the San Francisco area, and got more(mostly) bad advice. I think it was Gord May that posted the phone number for the Coast Guard center in Virginia, who are the final authority on requirments . Talking with the Coast Guard, I figured out that the schools knew almost nothing about a license above 100 tons, but they would recommend lots of courses that I could pay for. Get your information directly from the CG and you will be better off. As far as jumping through hoops! Yes, you have to jump through a bunch, but any licensed job in America requires proving a basic level of competence. If you have any doubts about passing a physical or background check, then do them before you put out a lot of money for courses. Just my 2 cents worth. ____Grant.
Old 16-09-2013, 10:12   #25

Boat: Cooper 416

Take a course in Refrigeration. Only a few can keep the beer cold. Much safer no liability.
Old 16-09-2013, 10:17   #26
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Amen to that, and everyone will be happy to see you come in. After working in tropical and semi tropical climates for the last 20 some years, I have come to feel refrigeration is more of a necessity than a want. I can get by without the A/C, but I really, really like my sodas to be cold, and ice cubes are tops. So by hook or crook, I will figure out how to keep cold drinks where ever I am at. In Alaska it's easy, put them outside, but not for too long.
Old 08-01-2014, 16:37   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddedger View Post
Although I agree with all that has been said, another option is Chapman School Of Seamanship. They have a professional mariner course that has a lot of hands on. They also have a job placement service for entry level placement. Geared towards the 100 ton and sixpack they teach what you need to pass the test along with boat handling, navigation, and engineering skills. I went there when I was nineteen and had a 100 ton with a commercial job by twenty one.
sorry but what kind of jobs are available in commercial with your qual 100 ton?
Old 08-01-2014, 16:49   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherW View Post
sorry but what kind of jobs are available in commercial with your qual 100 ton?
There are lots of jobs that you could do with the 100 ton USCG licence.

Its a starting point to bigger tonage licences. Delivery captians, charter captains, crewing on larger boats. No one in there right mind is going to make new captain with what ever licence without the right experiece. If you can qualify and get even a 20 ton licence along with the TWIC card. and you apply for a job on a large ship as a crew member, I would think you would stand out above all the other applicants without a captains licence.

Taking and passing a Captains coarse doesn't qualify you for much really. While you may be legally qualified that's a long way from being really qualified. But with a captains licence, I would have to believe you would move up the ranks on a crewed ship easier and more quickly as long as you have the skills to do more important jobs.
Old 08-01-2014, 16:59   #29

Boat: Morgan 27

My first job with a 100 ton ticket was captaining a Dinner Cruise ship. There are a lot of ferry boats and oil industry boats that are designed to come in under a 100 net tons. The way they measure the net tonnage is space in the boat that is not accessible for cargo. Lots of ships have large doors bolted into bulkheads to make them accessible in theory for cargo. The largest one I ever operated was 143" x 45' and three decks high. The term they use is T-boat, meaning it measures under 100 net tons. As an example most of the fishing boats you see on "Deadliest Catch" are under 100 tons.
Old 08-01-2014, 17:05   #30
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 2001 Albin 28TE.

Quote:
but did nothing for actual skills needed to run a boat
Huh..? If you did not learn anything from going to school and getting your license, you must have been sleeping in class and during the exam.

I have been through the course and exam twice, (Don't be stupid and let your ticket expire )
Learned a bunch of stuff every time and it has made me a more educated boater, also a job and income opportunity: The expenses of getting the tickets have been paid back ten-fold, great investment regardless of what the lazy Wharf-Rats says about "Paper-Captains" and "Cereal Box Captains."
To pass the exam you have to study and focus even if you are a sh!tty boat driver. Not having the ticket will not make you a better boater.
(If I have to explain to the Non-100 Ton Captain Crowd...)

CSY Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
license, school

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: