Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2013, 03:21   #76
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Re: anti-Facebook rule?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
I didn't take offense. But I still prefer some red wine and a good dinner.
The good thing is you are allowed to do both A lot of people don't seem to grasp this. Another western polarized view of the world.

A glass of fine red with friends and at the same time pick and choose any useful capabilities the likes of facebook may have to offer you, there's a lot going on in there.

And even better - it's free

Twitter is quietly (to most people) changing with many uses to distribute instant info, train companies about delays, traffic alerts for cities, extreme weather events. It pays to dig deeper than the kneejerk farcebook/twatter reaction of many who just don't understand the depth and potential usefulness the social media offers.

The internet & social media really is probably the biggest shift in information transfer between humans since the invention of the printing press. Might as well use the handy bits
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 04:15   #77

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
I'm hard pressed to see a lot of difference between what I do on Facebook versus what I do on CF. Pictures, personal information, messaging, comments, all going out to "friend" or members and pretty much available to anyone on the Internet. Please someone tell me how it's any different.
My point as well Doodles, which is why I previously posted all the snoopers that are active on this CF page right now. CF's business model is the same as FB; the owner(s) are using its users'-created (free) content as a means of selling ad space. They are also selling user-data to corporations. If there is a difference, it is in quantity and focus. At least here at CF the number of companies getting your data is relatively small, compared to FB. And the focus is probably more in line with your actual needs/desires. That said, it is still the same.

In case anyone is interested, CF is currently extracting data from you -- right now ... as you view this page -- and selling it to Google, Skimlinks and Quantcast. In Their Own Words:

Google: I think we all know about. I can see three Google snoopers active on this page right now...

Quantcast: "Quantcast measures and organizes the world's audiences in real-time so advertisers can buy, sell and connect with the people who matter most to them. Used by the top 10 media agencies, the world's largest brands and more than half of the top advertising supported publishers, Quantcast connects the planning, buying, and media fulfillment processes, delivering the marketplace's most consistent and accountable audiences."

Skimlinks: "Our ground-breaking technology enables publishers to easily monetize online content in two ways - by converting normal product links into their equivalent affiliate links, and picking up product references in content and turning those into relevant, useful affiliate links too."
Old 20-03-2013, 10:30   #78

Boat: Ericson, 28+
Send a message via Skype™ to Gelfling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
I'm hard pressed to see a lot of difference between what I do on Facebook versus what I do on CF. Pictures, personal information, messaging, comments, all going out to "friend" or members and pretty much available to anyone on the Internet. Please someone tell me how it's any different.
At first I was under the impression that there was a difference. Until I sent a PM to a member that is local to me asking about live aboard marinas in the Chessy..... within a month I received three letters from three different marinas. But heck.....it is what it is. To me the big `game changer` is going to be Google Glass. That is serious `Skynet` stuff!
Gelfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 18:47   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
I tried FB, I really tried, because I had a friend on there with a group that I was interested in, but I really couldn't stand it. Has to be the worst social interface going. My teenage kids tell me that they and their friends don't really use FB much anymore--it's considered old school, and even they hate all the friend requests from creepy people.
Those friend request from creepy people are because they allow themselves to be searched by either email, name or subject. It is no longer cool because all us fogies use it to keep in touch with each other.

All this stuff about zuckerburg selling info.. please... IF you are on the internet your info is being datamined as I type. I never ever every give out my phone number or address on any website unless I am ordering a catalog or doing business and then I look for the 'https' in the url.
About FB: first thing cull your friends list. do you really need 545 friends? Next to to your privacy page and do the following.
1. do not use the generic settings, use only the custom settings to do the following.
limit viewing of past posts.
no tagging in photos
your FB page is only viewable from friends (no not friends of friends, those on your friends list only)
don't allow anyone to follow your 'public posts'
do not allow your page to be searchable by either email, name or fb name
no messaging except by friends
remove your phone number and address.. sheesh... make it easy to predators why doncha.
Next: go to your photos and photo albums.. make them all only viewable by friends.. OR set some for viewing "only me" or "me and xxx" My family photos are only seen by my dtr and me.

For you teachers out there.. make a closed group.. NO one can see it but the group members. At the beginning of each term delete the last class and bring the group to open status for say a week.. so that all your current students can join. After that close it back down and then use it to hand out whatever.
FB is a tool nothing more.
here is a link to my fb page.. yours should oook the same to a nonfriend.
http://www.facebook.com/tiredofdramaqueens
Finally I do friend ppl, my friend list is low deliberatly. Everyone on there has the same or more or less the same politics, and outlook on life. Some are sailors, others are AD or retired SF. It probably runs about half each. If I add you and there is no interaction.. then you get deleted, If you notice and ask to be friends again and whine a lot, I laugh and add you back. Others never say a word, so I was right in getting rid of them. A few not only deleted but they blocked me because they did not agree with me.. oh well.. that is another thing about FB the block list is there, use it..
OTOH, there are some way cool pages out there that stuff we sailors use create...not sailing but one of my favorite pages is clyde butcher.. florida photographer.
http://www.facebook.com/clydebutcher?ref=ts&fref=ts

your page should look, to the causal fb stalker like mine.. the idea is to make them want to move on..not cruise thru your photos, or posts..

If I can be of help..gimme a pm and I will gladly help with your security settings.. fair winds
bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 18:56   #80

yep and the ads you see on your pages... are theoretically taylored to your internet interests. I joined zulilly to buy a dress for a grandchild and I saw zulilly ads for weeks after. To prove to a friend, that was true I had them google "legos" then hit a few links pertaining to legos then post some links in thier fB page on legos then talk about legos.. and voila.. they were getting ads for legos. FYI, if you live in Fla and many other states ALL your DL info is sold by the dmv to advertisers. Within a month after putting my son's car in my name 12/27/2010 I was getting advertisements to either trade in my nissan altima or extend my warranty. Last Oct I bought a house , the advertisement I get are simply amusing. The datamine the tax rolls and any governmental lists that are public and ALL are public. The only way you get your name off the public lists is a. have a legally means a judge ordered it or you are a cop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
My point as well Doodles, which is why I previously posted all the snoopers that are active on this CF page right now. CF's business model is the same as FB; the owner(s) are using its users'-created (free) content as a means of selling ad space. They are also selling user-data to corporations. If there is a difference, it is in quantity and focus. At least here at CF the number of companies getting your data is relatively small, compared to FB. And the focus is probably more in line with your actual needs/desires. That said, it is still the same.

In case anyone is interested, CF is currently extracting data from you -- right now ... as you view this page -- and selling it to Google, Skimlinks and Quantcast. In Their Own Words:

Google: I think we all know about. I can see three Google snoopers active on this page right now...

Quantcast: "Quantcast measures and organizes the world's audiences in real-time so advertisers can buy, sell and connect with the people who matter most to them. Used by the top 10 media agencies, the world's largest brands and more than half of the top advertising supported publishers, Quantcast connects the planning, buying, and media fulfillment processes, delivering the marketplace's most consistent and accountable audiences."

Skimlinks: "Our ground-breaking technology enables publishers to easily monetize online content in two ways - by converting normal product links into their equivalent affiliate links, and picking up product references in content and turning those into relevant, useful affiliate links too."
bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 19:03   #81

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
yep and the ads you see on your pages... are theoretically taylored to your internet interests. I joined zulilly to buy a dress for a grandchild and I saw zulilly ads for weeks after. To prove to a friend, that was true I had them google "legos" then hit a few links pertaining to legos then post some links in thier fB page on legos then talk about legos.. and voila.. they were getting ads for legos. FYI, if you live in Fla and many other states ALL your DL info is sold by the dmv to advertisers. Within a month after putting my son's car in my name 12/27/2010 I was getting advertisements to either trade in my nissan altima or extend my warranty. Last Oct I bought a house , the advertisement I get are simply amusing. The datamine the tax rolls and any governmental lists that are public and ALL are public. The only way you get your name off the public lists is a. have a legally means a judge ordered it or you are a cop.
There is another way. You can form a corporation in certain states that are known to protect your identity as the corporation owner. You can then make all your purchases in the name of the corporation.

Your corporation will then receive all the junk mail.

You're welcome.

One world order may be another way to at least partially resolve this issue. Under a single-world government, there would be no need to regulate international travel, and the need to document citizens' whereabouts and authorization to reside would be severely reduced.

In the next step, it is (in theory) then possible for the state to BOTH regulate you as a citizen AND protect your identity as a person.

As it is, the need to guarantee a person's privileges in a state combined with public information laws creates a loophole that makes your personal information (which is legally subject to privacy laws when held by any private organization) public information when it is given to a state organization.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 19:06   #82

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

I love legos by the bunch
I play legos while I'm at lunch
You'll love legos, I've got a hunch
When CF offers them to you over brunch

Watch for a Legos banner!
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 19:11   #83

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

I sure fit the Old Fart bracket!! Only been on the internet for about 4 years! looked at that Face book stuff, to me it was a big waste of my time !! Heck I don't even take pics !! I admit to being paranoid, it comes from knowing what folks really want, mostly money! LOL I will stick to a place like this, where there are folks with the same likes as we have! I would be very upset if someone put pics of us on face book without asking first !! I sure they would NEVER sail with me again ! My boat and my face are mine and not for others to post somewhere I have no control of !! Just my 2 cents
Old 20-03-2013, 19:26   #84

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

FB has been mostly fun and not too big a hassle for me, and I've met in real life a few good people first met on FB. It's also re-connected me with some class mates and extended family, including relatives I'd rarely hear from otherwise. And, if I'm really bored, I can always throw a debate topic out for my more polarized friends to chew upon.

One thing my spouse and I will sometimes do, if discussing another person who is not publicly known on FB or the blogsophere, is make up a nickname and not use that person's real name.
Old 20-03-2013, 20:32   #85
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
It happened to me again this weekend. I took some non-sailor friends out for a daysail, and they've posted snapshots with my name (not "Bash") tagged to the shots. So now everyone else who connects to my facebook page wants me to take them sailing next weekend.

Sheesh.

I'm seriously considering having a placard made up that says, "What happens on this vessel stays on this vessel, and anyone publishing photos of this vessel's crew on social networking sites will not be welcome aboard again."

Has anyone found effective ways to discourage this behavior?
After years of being afraid…I finally joined FB about 2 months ago.

Purpose was to get back in touch with relatives and their children now living in different countries.

My security and viewer settings are at the highest. Registration is full of disinformation, I don’t use my real name and “friends” are limited only to trusted family.

It has been fun seeing thru their FB albums how their lives and immediate families have evolved and I now Skype with some in order to reconnect.

Being careful of what I post, I see no downside to using FB in this limited manner.

Bash… there is always a risk of letting family or friends into your life when you are engaged in sensitive work. I let them know that I have to sign non-disclosure agreements and ask that they respect my business privacy.

Since you also use FB for business purposes, can you not create one that is work related and a 2nd separate one limited only to close family and friends, using another internet identity and profile?
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 21:03   #86

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
For those that may know already, CF occasionally posts threads from here onto its own FB page. So, like it or not you're connected if you're a CF member.
Old 21-03-2013, 06:37   #87
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

FB has become nothing but a giant select address book for me - to keep some channel open to old friends...real select friends, not everyone in the world.

I have the security settings set optimally, and continue to check for new ones periodically (an annoyance since FB continually plays automatic opt-in games). Also, since "friends" cannot be optimally set to not pollute the news feeds with mundane stories (such as what socks they purchased on the way to the gym), I have 99% of them muted. Periodically I will sweep the friend list and see what they are up to by visiting their profiles.

Given this, I don't particularly find FB useful in any way. Some of my friends have already left FB, and I am thinking about it.

LinkedIn I use for professional activity, but it has its own annoyances - such as unable to block individuals who annoy you with spam.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 07:02   #88

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling View Post
At first I was under the impression that there was a difference. Until I sent a PM to a member that is local to me asking about live aboard marinas in the Chessy..... within a month I received three letters from three different marinas. But heck.....it is what it is.
I think I read or maybe a mod told me that our PMs couldn't be read. Obviously there is some access to them.

Damn. A black Suburban just pulled in and is heading my way.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 07:09   #89

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
I think I read or maybe a mod told me that our PMs couldn't be read. Obviously there is some access to them.

Damn. A black Suburban just pulled in and is heading my way.
“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you”
― Joseph Heller, Catch-22
Old 21-03-2013, 07:15   #90

Boat: Ohlson 38

I once quit facebook, but felt isolated so rejoined within a few months.

I consider visits to my homepage no different than stopping by the local coffee shop, park, or pub. The mindless postings about the weather, what's for dinner, baby pics etc are simply small talk designed to initiate conversation. It's people reaching out to other people. You can choose to respond or not. I honestly don't see the problem.

My girlfriend of four years and I are the result of a Facebook reunion. My 15 year old son went to play paintball the other day, and I may never have known had he not posted it on his wall. I recently was friended by a friend from my teen years and I felt joyful all day knowing he survived his challenges.

My 16 year old daughter and I message each other, sometimes for an hour or more. We rarely use the phone as its inconvenient for our purposes.

I love creeping through other people's photos! I guess I'm a voyeur, because I enjoy watching other people as they live their lives.

I've learned to be more careful about political rants, and to learn the rules for communicating on a social forum.

I think I've made my peace with FB.

Re the friending strangers subject: More than half of my FB friends are people I've never met. Many of whom live in foreign countries. To see thier the different attitudes, perspectives, and interests is almost as good as visiting the countries themselves. One gentleman from Sweden and I have been messaging regularly for about a year. We share our personal lives, our thoughts, and I consider him a pen pal who is every bit a friend and as close to me as friends I've known for years in real life.
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rule