Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-02-2016, 15:30   #16

Boat: Starflight 38
Re: Another USVI vs. BVI question

my second trip to BVI had great time will go again each time chartered Cat the way to go when on vacation. Fly into to STT with sleep aboard $10 person cab to ferry approx $60 per person ferry to Roadtown from there $10 cab ride to store pick up supplies and then marina and boat. Let the fun begin.Lots of places for all the family to relax, go to shore explore,night life etc. If they don't enjoy it won't be your fault.

Old 19-02-2016, 16:08   #17

Boat: Challenger 7.4
pirate Re: Another USVI vs. BVI question

Charter out of St. Vincent and leave boat in Grenada

Old 19-02-2016, 20:30   #18

Boat: Pearson 36-2, Pearson 26 'annapolis'

As Apacit does, I also do. Now I know not to take a taxi to the ferry from the airport (St.T, free rum samples). Walking is good with me. I believe it is only a mile or less. If you don't have luggage, your good. The ferry dock is comfortable, good cocktails. A bit of a wait. The ferry ride is great, sit upstairs. Customs, piece of cake into Tortola. Enjoy.
Old 19-02-2016, 20:36   #19

Boat: Pearson 36-2, Pearson 26 'annapolis'

Just to add, we carried letters stating our business for customs.
Old 19-02-2016, 21:53   #20

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

If new BVI for sure. Doesn't take long to see it all. Cat for sure with six. Get A/C if possible. Once away from Road Town crowds are easy to avoid. Pick up boat in BVI. Prefer flying into St. Thomas. Hate SJ airport although once you get on plane to Tortola it's nice. Look at prices for crewed yacht. Sure makes life easier with provisioning and checkout. Might surprise you.
Old 19-02-2016, 22:28   #21

Boat: 2006 Leopard 40

FWIW, we're going in April. We've done the BVI twice before, and spent a week on St. John at one time.

Looking at options this time, we found that with all the companies on Tortola, rental rates were much cheaper for the 40' cat that we wanted as compared to the USVI side. Specifically, $1700 cheaper for a newer boat.

But...airfare is cheaper into STT ($550) than EIS ($1096), and it's 2 jet flights into STT but three legs into EIS with a connection to Cape Air. We ended up with the cheaper flight into STT which arrives 5 hours earlier than the flight into EIS, so there is time for taxis, ferry, customs, and grocery shopping.

On the boat, we're splitting our time between BVI and St. John.

I can't comment on mono vs cat, but we have done monos before and are trying a cat this time.
Old 19-02-2016, 23:22   #22

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthmover View Post
Charter out of St. Vincent and leave boat in Grenada
A lot of people get seasick out of St. Vincent although love Bequia.
Old 20-02-2016, 00:34   #23

Boat: 50 Bene

Having done both of what you're suggesting I would suggest a different approach. Skip them both and do the Spanish Virgins. Less expensive, fewer crowds no crowds in point of fact, easier and cheaper to get to, healthy beautiful reefs, free mooring balls, fantastic beaches, all in all a wonderful spot to charter. Sail Caribe has a very nice new selection of yachts cats and monos, at prices much cheaper than BVI. We had an almost new Lagoon 400 gen ac etc for ten days for 6k usd

Enjoy!
Will
Old 20-02-2016, 09:22   #24

Boat: Brewer 12.8

Clipper4730 has great points about the Spanish Virgins, and that's what I would do it was me, but the kids will like the BVI better. A lot more to do and very short sails or motors if you get a cat.
Bristol 29.9 #49
Stephen Fascian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 11:31   #25

We've done this trip many times. We are a family of 6 as well with me, my husband, my mom and our 3 kids. Now that my kids are older 17,17 and 21 I would definitely charter a cat. This is coming from a girl who grew up on a 42 foot sloop in Grenada. My stepfather is probably rolling over in his grave but my mom (being a die hard monohull sailor) is starting to be swayed just for the comfort factor and the size of the kids. We switched over to a cat 2 years ago. The BVIs were made for cat sailing!

Try to fly in and out of Beef Island. So much less of a hassle and by the time you add up taxis and ferries the price is not that much more.

Places to go..
1. White Bay, Jost Van Dyke: you can get a mooring in Great Harbor and dinghy/taxi over or moor for the day in White Harbor and motor over to Great Habor to spend the night. Your kids will love both places. It's busy but worth it.

2. Diamond Cay, Jost Van Dyke: check out Sandy Spit, Bubbly Pool and Bee Line Beach Bar.

3. You can go straight to North Sound or over night in Trellis or Marina Cay. Great art and history at Trellis. On your way pick up a ball at White Bay, Guana Island and do some snorkeling.

4. North Sound for 2 days: Stop at The Dogs for snorkeling on your way there. Moor for the day at Prickly Pear...love The Sand Box. Stay for the night or get a mooring outside of Bitter End or Saba Rock. The next day dock or moor at Leverick Bay and rent a car to explore the island. Make sure to go either early or late to the Baths. We went at 2:00 last year and it was perfect. All the cruise shippers had left for the day.

5. Cooper Island: Get there early to get a mooring. Great snorkeling off of Cistern Point. You might even get to swim with Peter the friendly, resident dolphin.

6. Norman Island: leave Cooper early so you can get a mooring off of The Indians if you like to snorkel. Check out The Caves and Willy T's at The Bight, Norman Island

The time of year you are going is not as crazy busy as New Years week. We have done both and honestly if you get going early, there really shouldn't be a problem. Of course it helps if you are comfortable with anchoring so you don't have to completely rely on moorings. Can't anchor at Cooper though.

Enjoy! This is my kids' favorite part of the Caribbean!
Old 24-02-2016, 12:20   #26

Boat: 40' Leopard

If you charter from the Moorings you can get a special deal onn ferry and taxi . Saves you a ton.
Old 25-02-2016, 10:05   #27

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch

The largest charter company on St Thomas with catamarans is CYOA. They are located in Frenchtown just west of the main harbor in town. It's approximately a 10 minute taxi ride from the airport. All of the boats, even the smallest 36' mono has air conditioning so there is no need to think it will be hot on the boat tied to a slip in the marina as others have mentioned. I'm not aware of a charter company renting bareboats out of Red Hook but there are a lot of new small companies popping up. Once on a CYOA vessel there is no reason to hassle with the problematic local ferry system as you are in fact in control of your destiny by driving your own "ferry" to where ever it is you choose to go. BVI is nice, St John is fantastic and I've not seen it mentioned yet for an option with quiet solitary anchorages and optional shore side beach bar opportunities too. The SVI, already mentioned, is another great destination as well.

I'm not aware of another charter base you can get to quicker from your airplane in the VI.

Enoy your trip.
Old 22-03-2016, 22:03   #28

Boat: 53' Hatteras Cruising Yacht

With the ages of your kids I wouldn't go near a mono. 6 people on a mono is to tight and everyone will hate each other by the 3rd day.

Also:

1. Less privacy
2. Less deck space to spread out for sunbathing.
3. Less storage space
4. Less space to bring a sea kayak.
5. More work with managing the sales...if you put them up.

Cat:

1. 4 berths plus the fold out around the kitchen table.
2. Less draft, get closer to beaches.
3. More provisioning space
4. Much more space to lounge and see the sites without being crammed into a small area.
5. Galley is much bigger.
6. Easier to move around with waking late night hung over kid's
7. Bigger swim platform and easier access to the water.

I rented one mono hull for 6 people many years ago and it was a disaster.

Rented 4 cat's since, Moorings 45, and we are still friends with the folks that went with us and the kid's still love us.

Fly into Tortola, transport to Moorings Marina, provision in the town or at Moorings. Have a nice dinner the night before you embark on your voyage.

USVI is nothing compared to BVI. STT is dirty, crime everywhere, ignorant local's. St. John is better but everything shut's down at 10 pm and a million Haitians/Jamaican's selling drug's. It reminds me of a bunch of wanna be Woodstock kid's with dreadlocks and homeless drug dealer's. Don't get me wrong there are 10 or 15 nice local's on the island.

Stop at:
Foxy's...a small drinking village..4 star rating
The Soggy Dollar...a smaller drinking village...4 star rating
Willie T's...a mid size drinking galleon...hide the women...lol

Bath's are OK but not good enough to travel that far.

Good luck

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: