Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2012, 20:52   #1

Another Un-informed 'Lubber Question

I've heard that multi-hull boats are short on space compared to a mono-hull of comparable length.

I'm interested in the stability aspects of multi-hull boats, but I'm not thrilled with the idea of cruising with my wife in a boat that has us cramped like sardines in a can.

Any insight on this subject? How big of a boat is required for a reasonable amount of comfort for two people? And how much bigger would a multi-hull have to be to provide that same level of comfort?

Just now starting the journey toward the possibility of acquiring a sailing vessel, so I have lots of questions. Thanks in advance for your time and advice
AirMedMech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 21:00   #2

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Another un-informed 'lubber question

My take is that multi's have more space for a given length but are more restricted in loading lest performance be seriously compromised. I am not a multi-huller so I can not speak from experience.

The amount of space required for 2 very much depends on the couple. If you went RVing across the country, would you be comfortable in a VW Westphalia, A class C van style motor home or would you need a Class A bus style?

Alternatively how big a house do you have now?
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 21:02   #3

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre

Go and have a look at some cats, what size you need will depend on you two.
Some people are happy with a 30 footer whilst other want a 60 footer.
The general rule is a cat's size in length equates to a mono 1.5 times as long, but like everything there are variations.
Be warned most wives take a shine to cats so once she has seen one you may have trouble convincing her to go to a mono.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 21:11   #4

LOL
Advice heeded!
We don't need a whole lot of room. We used to camp in a pop-up trailer. The last few times we went camping was in a dome tent.
Not the RV Bus types here...
Old 15-08-2012, 21:28   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

If you just look at the available "floor" area, catamarans have lots more for a given length than monohulls. The interior arrangements for cats typically have a large and comfortable bridgedeck saloon... arguably their most attractive feature. However, their hulls are quite narrow, and whilst the bunks themselves can be enormous, I personally feel a little bit claustrophobic in many cat hull accommodations. This is a personal thing, and you just have to try some on for size and see what works for you..

Cats also often have little true storage space (subject to individual design), and for sure don't like to be heavily loaded down with "stuff". Monos also vary in this arena, but usually are better load carriers.

So, in the end it is a case of how you approach a lot of areas where compromises must be made. Until you have experienced some sea time on different designs, you will be hard pressed to make good decisions, and internet pundits can't really help you much, for they don't have your individual set of wants, needs and phobias.

It's kinda daunting, but getting the experience can be fun as well as educational.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 15-08-2012, 21:34   #6

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirMedMech View Post
LOL
Advice heeded!
We don't need a whole lot of room. We used to camp in a pop-up trailer. The last few times we went camping was in a dome tent.
Not the RV Bus types here...
OK, so if you don't need a ton of space for personal reasons then the functional reasons come more into play.

The bigger the boat the more storage there is for equipment.
The smaller the boat the cheaper it is to buy, outfit & maintain.
The bigger the boat the more comfortable the motion will be.
The smaller the boat the easier it is to manage in bad weather underway or at anchor.

In one of their books L&LPardey discuss the 1982 CaboSanLucas debacle. An unseasonable gale hit the anchored fleet of about 45 sailboats putting 29 of them on the beach. Comments from crew, born out by the Pardey's observations, was that boats 37' and over with just a couple on board really didn't cope well. Smaller boats with a couple or larger boats with more crew fared better.

Hal Roth had 2 35' boats over several decades of cruising and indicated this was almost too big from a social perspective as folks in various places assumed he was rich an were a bit reticent to initiate contact.

For a couple I would say 28-37' at the outside, with 32-35 being the sweet spot. These are mono lengths.

Sailing experience?
What's your budget to buy and outfit the boat? (living and cruising costs extra.)
Where are you? Where do you want to sail out of? Which coast do you want to set off from and more specifically where on that coast?
Where to you want to go?
Are you looking to cruise extensively or liveaboard and occasionally take several weeks or months off to nip around the Caribbean or Baja?
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 22:22   #7

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

If ya start looking at Cats ya better double your buget!! LOL they are somewhat pricey!! just my 2 cents
Old 15-08-2012, 22:25   #8

Cats are more expensive than monos and they're uglier than monos.

They're probably better in ever other way. I can't afford a cat.
Old 16-08-2012, 00:27   #9

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre

I agree with all the above advice, except the comment about cats being small in the hulls it really depends on the design.
There are compromises in ever design, you are better off deciding what you don't mind sacrificing rather than chase the perfect boat.
As far as dollars go you often get what you pay for, though there are always bargains and ripoffs.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2012, 04:15   #10

Totally understood that experience is ultimately what I need to make the most informed decision.

Just dipping a toe in the pool to test the water, as it were...
Old 16-08-2012, 04:21   #11

Oh, and I'm on the Gulf of Mexico. Probably will be learning in or near Lake Ponchartrain.
Old 16-08-2012, 05:15   #12

Boat: Sadler 26
Re: Another Un-informed 'Lubber Question

As Dragon Lady mentions, all yachts are a compromise. I have a 40' monohull which cost half of the same length cat to berth at the marina, engines to maintain etc. There are three of us on board and we have, compared to a house, 2 x double beds in 2 bed rooms, plus sleeping place for 3 more guest, and this is if they don't sllep on the porch under the awning. A lounge, An office/study. A toilet and shower, a sitting room, a kitchen, plenty of cupboard space, not to mention the patio and deck outside, our own water and electricity, an international cruising vehicle, not to mention the endless swimming pool all around our home. What more could one want.
Old 16-08-2012, 05:31   #13

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40

Speed, adrenalin, stability, shallow draft, more living space, smaller engine(s)?

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2012, 05:36   #14

It really varies. Some multi-hulls have precious little cabin space while others have far, far more space than a comparable length monohull. You have to consider the specific make and model.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2012, 06:48   #15

Let's see a 40 foot mono is maybe what 15 feet wide where a cat would be maybe 25 feet...I don't have to do the math, right?

I do believe either you or the teller got it backwards

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote