Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 28-06-2016, 19:39   #1

Boat: CRI E20, Hunter 27
Another Newbie question

I am new to Coastal Cruising, All of my sailing experience has been on a 17 Oday on inland lakes. I wanted to move into a larger boat and do some coastal cruising and eventually and even larger boat and sail the eastern seaboard.
This past weekend I finally splashed a 20 Ensenada that I have been restoring the past 3 yrs, and this is the boat that Ill begin my coastal experience on. I live in NH and want to sail the Maine coast this summer. #1 problem is that I dont know enough about coastal cruising to even ask an intelligent question, so please bear with me. We joined the Maine Island Trail Association, as they offer a wealth of information on the Maine coast. However we are going to have to put in at some marina or town dock every other day to restock and at least to empty the Porta Potty. I have heard that some marinas and towns offer transient moorings or slips to those traveling thru. Question is? . How do I find out where these marinas are and how to contact them to see if space is available? I installed a VHF radio but, Im as green as can be on radio usage. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 28-06-2016, 19:44   #2

Boat: OPB = Crewing in 2017
Re: Another Newbie question

Quote:
Originally Posted by finefurn View Post
I am new to Coastal Cruising, All of my sailing experience has been on a 17 Oday on inland lakes. I wanted to move into a larger boat and do some coastal cruising and eventually and even larger boat and sail the eastern seaboard.
This past weekend I finally splashed a 20 Ensenada that I have been restoring the past 3 yrs, and this is the boat that Ill begin my coastal experience on. I live in NH and want to sail the Maine coast this summer. #1 problem is that I dont know enough about coastal cruising to even ask an intelligent question, so please bear with me. We joined the Maine Island Trail Association, as they offer a wealth of information on the Maine coast. However we are going to have to put in at some marina or town dock every other day to restock and at least to empty the Porta Potty. I have heard that some marinas and towns offer transient moorings or slips to those traveling thru. Question is? . How do I find out where these marinas are and how to contact them to see if space is available? I installed a VHF radio but, Im as green as can be on radio usage. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.
Here is a Google Custom Search of CF on term "Maine."

There was a recent thread discussing mooring balls, guest docks, and etiquette for using private mooring balls, etc.

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...ine&gsc.page=1

Also check the CF forum "Destinations" forums and the Cruising WiKI.

Good luck! I hope to cruise there someday in the future.

Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Med, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2017? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steady Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 20:52   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Hi Finefurn and welcome to the forum.

Not familiar with Maine cruising resources specifically but almost any area on the planet someone has written a cruising guide with all sorts of helpful information about harbors, facilities, local sites and more. Hopefully someone will pop onto this thread with a recommendation.

Meanwhile a couple of excellent resources you can use online to research all the above. Waterway Guide | cruising guide, fuel pricing, navigation alerts and news for boaters and yacht enthusiasts and www.activecaptain.com. Waterwayguide is a forum member and may see the question and drop in to give some first hand recommendations.

By the way, I can see your three year overhaul and raise you three and a little more. I just splashed my Pearson after almost seven years rebuilding.
Old 28-06-2016, 21:14   #4

I can't recall the names and dates but there should be an article/blog or two or three on people in 18-19ft boats cruising the Maine coast. I specifically recall one written by a guy in his 60s cruising in a 18-19ft sailboat (a Maine cat?) and another by a guy who took an 18ft aluminum skiff with a small outboard for weeks or months worth of cruising there. Both would pull up ashore for the night. Check the online archives of Sail and/or Cruising World mags for these articles.
Old 28-06-2016, 23:08   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

finefurn,

Learn the standard phonetic alphabet for radio usage, if you're installing a VHF.. You may be asked to spell your boat's name (which is different from her call sign), and if you use the standard format the listener will be able to copy it easier. Shorter words take less time than longer ones. Fastest are names like "Tom", "Bob"," Eeny", etc.

Ann (whose boat has a long-to-spell phonetically name)
Old 29-06-2016, 19:48   #6

This post could have been written by me, right down to just finishing my project boat of three years (a Kells 23). I even live in NH (North Conway). I feel your pain, as I have many of the same questions about cruising and learning about things that you mention. I'll be putting my boat mostly in the Portland area this summer, and just joined the Maine Island Trail Association (mita.org). Maybe we can help each other out!
Best,
Sean

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 29-06-2016, 19:53   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Outbound 44

Check http://www.activecaptain.com
Lots of Marina and anchorage info.
Old 29-06-2016, 19:56   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

I always search the web up first. Then I just sail in and see what they may have. If you expect them to be full up, you may call them up first.

b.
Old 29-06-2016, 20:30   #9

Boat: Contessa 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Check http://www.activecaptain.com
Lots of Marina and anchorage info.
This is a good suggestion. But when cruising the Maine coast, I highly recommend A Cruising Guide to the Maine Coast by Curtis Rindlaub.
Old 29-06-2016, 21:59   #10

Boat: 1980 san juan 7.7

My first suggestion would be to take a vhf course.
After that, cruising guides for your area make it a lot easier
Old 01-07-2016, 19:24   #11

Boat: CRI E20, Hunter 27

Good to hear from you Sean, Casco Bay is one of our "Go To" places. We put in at Bug Light in South Portland. We've sailed out to Jewel Island with my son, a crazy Hobbie Cat racer, on his 21' Sirius. We also joined the Mita last fall and hope to make it up to Mt. Desert Island this summer from Portsmouth NH. I'd be glad to help you out anyway I can, but be forewarned I know just enough to get myself in trouble. Life would be way to boring otherwise

Marty

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: