Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-03-2015, 17:45   #16

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Re: Another fl anchoring threat, what to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
I understand rationing, and this law isn't about that. This is purposefully reducing the supply, which isn't the same as rationing. The solution to a limited supply isn't further limiting the supply.

If this were cruisers asking for more moorings, that would indicate what you're saying. They wouldn't be trying to reduce or restrict the use of natural anchorages.

Also, I'm a Florida citizen, so I guess I get a vote both on this forum and in the Florida legislature. Since this regulation also affects cruisers from outside of Florida, I suppose they should have a voice as well.
You may need to reread my post, but maybe not since you snipped out the part about this law resulting in an increase of friction for boats trying to anchor in Florida waters.

You also snipped out the part about environmental concerns Florida citizens who are not boaters may have.

My Mom and Dad both went to high school in Florida as did I. I have seen lots of changes, mostly for the worse, in Florida waters and have to say I have no problem with increasing the friction requited to anchor in Florida waters.

I suspect a majority of Florida citizens would agree.

Old 21-03-2015, 18:08   #17
Mooderator

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
P.S. Have you seen the longstanding eyesore off Wisteria Island in Key West? What do you think Key West's Tourism board thinks about that?
EYESORE? Lived there for 14 years; always thought it "picturesque".. where are you from again?

FACT: without your "eyesore", there would be few waitstaff, housekeepers, bartenders, store clerks, city employees, and entertainers in KW. Oh wait, I remember the proposal that they all be bussed down from the mainland every day.. good idea!

Old 21-03-2015, 18:12   #18
Mooderator

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
You may need to reread my post, but maybe not since you snipped out the part about this law resulting in an increase of friction for boats trying to anchor in Florida waters.

You also snipped out the part about environmental concerns Florida citizens who are not boaters may have.

My Mom and Dad both went to high school in Florida as did I. I have seen lots of changes, mostly for the worse, in Florida waters and have to say I have no problem with increasing the friction requited to anchor in Florida waters.

I suspect a majority of Florida citizens would agree.
Yeah, the majority that don't own boats!

I don't know when you went to High School in FL, but I got here in the early 70's. I can say from direct observation that the water quality has IMPROVED over the last 40 years... but then again, we now collect run-off, have sewer plants, and (somewhat) have corrected the ill's of Big Sugar in the 'Glades
Old 21-03-2015, 18:24   #19

Boat: Custom 30

Good thing Floridians like us have folks from the Great Lakes to tell us what the problem is and what we should do!

Oh yeah, they visited Key West one time, so they're experts!

Why not apply your expertise to the carp problem at home, and leave Floridians to the business of it's residents and visitors!

I spent over 200 days at anchor last year along the Florida coast while cruising. How many nights have you anchored in Florida?

'
Old 21-03-2015, 18:56   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post

I don't know when you went to High School in FL, but I got here in the early 70's. I can say from direct observation that the water quality has IMPROVED over the last 40 years... but then again, we now collect run-off, have sewer plants, and (somewhat) have corrected the ill's of Big Sugar in the 'Glades
Been here about twenty years longer than you have. Have to say Biscayne Bay is a lot worse than when I first got here. I would also point out that the water table has dropped by ten to twenty feet during that time. There are several places where salt water intrusion has resulted in having to pump fresh water from distant counties.

I suggest you get up to speed on the run off from sugar farms. The plain fact of the matter is that Florida is running out of fresh water and the result is worse pollution through out the state.
Old 21-03-2015, 19:55   #21

Boat: 2005 Catalina 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Been here about twenty years longer than you have. Have to say Biscayne Bay is a lot worse than when I first got here. I would also point out that the water table has dropped by ten to twenty feet during that time. There are several places where salt water intrusion has resulted in having to pump fresh water from distant counties.

I suggest you get up to speed on the run off from sugar farms. The plain fact of the matter is that Florida is running out of fresh water and the result is worse pollution through out the state.
And here I thought the ice caps were melting

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 23-03-2015, 08:20   #22

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom30 View Post
Good thing Floridians like us have folks from the Great Lakes to tell us what the problem is and what we should do!

Oh yeah, they visited Key West one time, so they're experts!

Why not apply your expertise to the carp problem at home, and leave Floridians to the business of it's residents and visitors!

I spent over 200 days at anchor last year along the Florida coast while cruising. How many nights have you anchored in Florida?

'
We lived aboard full time for ten years in South Florida and the Caribbean. So, what's your point? If I had been there only once and that was my opinion, would it be any less valid? Do your 200 days anchoring make you an authority on Florida waters or Key West? There are many on this Forum, myself included, who have spent much more time in Florida water(by your own admission) than you. Besides, you can show a neophyte the Mona Lisa and it's just a woman to him. As a final remark, we've been to Key West 25-30 times to wait for weather or reprovision supplies. We never liked the town. It's a kinky Disneyworld for mind rotted tourists. There's nothing charming about the city other than drunk, pseudo intellectual artists, miscreant homeless and "let me entertain you" sailors . . . . not that there's anything wrong with that! It seems its just your cup of tea! P.S. With your considerable experience in Florida waters, especially Key West, I'll be waiting for your book . . . . perhaps named "The Intellectuals Guide to Anchoring in South Florida With a Special Emphasis on Key West." Good luck! I'll be looking for the book at my local CVS pharmacy.
Old 23-03-2015, 09:02   #23

Boat: csy 37

Quote:

Improved? I've been scuba diving the Keys since the 1970's. The reefs have definitely gotten worse.
Old 23-03-2015, 09:12   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
Improved? I've been scuba diving the Keys since the 1970's. The reefs have definitely gotten worse.
It is important to distinguish between macro and micro analysis. I agree the condition of the reefs have gotten worse. On the other hand a place like Boot Key Harbor has seen improvement in large part due to pump out boats enforcing almost universal pump outs.

The thing is most folks spent their time on a ball or at a dock in Biscayne Bay, Boot Key, or other densely packed anchorages and only are able to do a micro analysis so water quality seems to be getting better. The small number of folks who have a historical perspective and personal experience out side popular anchorages have seen a continual decline in water quality, both fresh and salt water.
Old 23-03-2015, 09:24   #25

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
EYESORE? Lived there for 14 years; always thought it "picturesque".. where are you from again?

FACT: without your "eyesore", there would be few waitstaff, housekeepers, bartenders, store clerks, city employees, and entertainers in KW. Oh wait, I remember the proposal that they all be bussed down from the mainland every day.. good idea!

Cap,
Please refer to my comment above to Custom 30. However, in regards to our differing opinions of Wisteria Island . . . it is merely a difference of taste . . . What you call "picturesque," I call a "homeless camp." However, we might also use another analogy for clarification in regards to cuisine . . . while you might prefer a "great sirloin steak" from The Outback . . . I would choose an 8 oz, aged filet mignon, Pittsburgh--that is: charred on the outside, rare inside . . . from Smiuth and Wollensky. By the way Cap, could we please include a drink?: a beer for you and Russian Vodka on the rocks for me . . . stirred, not shaken? Good luck, good sailing, and say hello to all the cruising sailors off Wisteria Island. . . it is indeed "picturesque!"
Old 23-03-2015, 09:25   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post

A great many of the springs no longer exist too, I cave dive and many of the old dives sites are just holes in the ground where they used to magnitude 1 springs.
Florida just like most other States is running out of drinking water
Old 23-03-2015, 09:34   #27
cruiser

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainron369 View Post
Actually this is not a result of "Derelict Boats" but is the result of a few well heeled Miami property owners that think they own the view of the water from their home and don't want to see boaters from their backyard...................
This has been said many times by many people but nobody as posted any evidence to substantiate this claim.
Old 23-03-2015, 10:34   #28

Boat: 2005 Catalina 350

The evidence is there if you look instead of just typing the same thing over. Go see who this is really going to help, see who this is really going to effect. Look at the mostly effected property And who lives there. You know you can actually do the research yourself unless you own a boat and live in one of those areas then you're view should get better

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 23-03-2015, 11:01   #29

Boat: 1902 Dutch Tjalk, 64'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
So, Neeltje,
How would you restrict the number of boaters to prevent a "Aquatic parking lot" in Florida? Lottery system for boat owners? Higher fees/taxes and registration to limit boating to only the most financially capable? Restrictions/limitations of certain types of vessels: sail, fishing, trawlers, canoes, catamarans? Limiting number of days on the water.? Limiting time on the water? Banning all non-US citizens from Florida waters? Whenever I hear comments like this it is always about more government in peoples lives. Some people just love to be controlled. This just cracks me up! Good luck, good sailing, and "Let them eat cake?"
You're absolutely right, rognvald ; trying to restrict the number of boaters would be a pipedream at best. On the other hand, trying to "heard" them a little using existing regulations might help. If those who preach anarchy on the water today had been around to scream bloody murder when the Fed decided on which side of the street we had to drive, we'd all be going down the middle of the road as we speak.

The real problem in both cases is that infrastructures never keep up with demand, and we're forever playing "catch-up" on land as well as on the water. I don't think anyone has a solution for this, much less one that would please everybody. I do believe that spending a little more of the Florida taxpayer's money on enforcing the legislation that's already in place (and a little less on adding yet more unenforced texts to it) would make sense.

Jacques
Old 23-03-2015, 11:09   #30

Boat: 1902 Dutch Tjalk, 64'

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
A great many of the springs no longer exist too, I cave dive and many of the old dives sites are just holes in the ground where they used to magnitude 1 springs.
Florida just like most other States is running out of drinking water
From what I recently read, 21 of the 27 major aquifer-sustaining springs in Florida have already completely dried up. Since most of these were in Central Florida, the city of Orlando is now asking to pump 5 million gallons a day out of the Saint Johns River in order to feed its fountains and golf courses. That would probably be a drop in the bucket on the Mighty Mississippi, but it would literally destroy the Saint Johns as we know it.

Jacques

Tags
anchor, anchoring

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: