Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2015, 17:32   #1

Another boat fire

This was in our marina, two days ago, turns out the occupant was using some cleaning fluid to clean upholstery inside the boat with the stove on to make coffee. He was sufficiently overwhelmed by the fumes to retreat to the cockpit but didn't turn the stove off. No-one hurt and a local small tug raced in and moved the boat parked next to it real fast, well done them. Gas bottle went off like a jet engine. Beware fumes of all kinds in boats
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat fire.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	106738  
Warby12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 17:50   #2

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch
Re: Another boat fire

Proof that there really is no way to fix stupid.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 17:54   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40

Proof that we all make mistakes and bad things can happen to anyone.
Old 04-08-2015, 18:11   #4

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

I'm sure the cleaning fluid container clearly states DO NOT USE NEAR OPEN FLAME or some such. Ignoring this warning is not a "mistake", it is stupidity.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 19:21   #5

Boat: islandpacket

Almost a Darwin award winner.
Old 04-08-2015, 21:58   #6

I once got a job on a 100 ton motor yacht because the engineer had tried cleaning fluid in a closed space and had an explosion. He was flown to a burn center and I understand that he recovered OK. Just lucky. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 04:39   #7

Its easy to make mistakes when you're living in the confines of a small boat, you're not always wide awake, paying attention or feeling great.

My wife was making breakfast one morning, she was a flight attendant so working funny hours and pregnant. She was using candles for extra light while she cooked breakfast, which I always discouraged, but she likes candles and I don't always get my way. After breaking the eggs into the pan she inadvertently placed the cardboard egg carton on top of the candle!

I here her shriek, flames were licking the deck head and galley curtains but I was wedged in my favourite spot playing Assassins Creed, so I couldn't exactly move quickly.

She acted first and threw the egg carton into the sink and turned the water on (fortunately the water pressure was on because she was making breakfast).

No harm was done, we both had a good laugh and promised each other no more candles on the boat.

I wouldn't call my wife stupid, some times s--t happens.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 04:47   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
Its easy to make mistakes when you're living in the confines of a small boat, you're not always wide awake, paying attention or feeling great.

My wife was making breakfast one morning, she was a flight attendant so working funny hours and pregnant. She was using candles for extra light while she cooked breakfast, which I always discouraged, but she likes candles and I don't always get my way. After breaking the eggs into the pan she inadvertently placed the cardboard egg carton on top of the candle!

I here her shriek, flames were licking the deck head and galley curtains but I was wedged in my favourite spot playing Assassins Creed, so I couldn't exactly move quickly.

She acted first and threw the egg carton into the sink and turned the water on (fortunately the water pressure was on because she was making breakfast).

No harm was done, we both had a good laugh and promised each other no more candles on the boat.

I wouldn't call my wife stupid, some times s--t happens.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Amen. There but for the grace of God go I. All of us are stupid once in a while, even the smug ones among us. Unlike some on here, I could not say that such a thing could never happen to me. Hope the guy had decent insurance.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 04:51   #9
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Stupidity is for others, until Murphy shows up. Then it's always an unavoidable accident.

www.HaldenMarineService.com
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 06:20   #10
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

hay dont be so mean...
rodl..
fair game, this one
sorry.
had a friend we renamed crispy critter because he not once but twice, cleaned kitchen floor of home with acetone without turning off water heater. boooom ouch **** was his mantra, at that time.
yup not brightest bulb in the pack.....at least not while using acetone, which he used all the time away from open flame except when he got home,where there was added flame he was not used to minding....

not to mention the ability of sailors to forget that there is open flame for dishwashing, on ocasion, as ye wander around the mooring field to smell your cooking then omygods i forgot....and watching the cat try to jump ship because he thought the thing was gonna burn his butt.....damn good thing the small 1 pound cannister of propane for the camp stove i was using then ran outta propane so the flames died before taking hold inide the boat... we each of us have a dumshit tale to tell, dont we....

and that was AFTER the flaming mayhem on my foredeck when i kicked on the heater one 38f night in san diego on mooring, only to have the honda 3000 generator on bow decide to flame out..omy... got that put out before any damage other than generator was done.. whew. good thing i know how to fight fire (thanks to cal club flagging!!!and hospital safety classes..)

unavoidable accident?? more like a lesson from hell
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 13:51   #11

It's actually a happy ending. The skipper when he felt dizzy was going to lie down in the forward cabin but chose to step off the boat instead. If not he would now be around any more. It's just a boat, he's alive
Warby12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 16:08   #12
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Kinda sounds like running aground. We all do it, or will do it, or ........

Somewhere I read that experience is surviving our mistakes. No mistakes, no experience. I gave up keeping a log but I have LOTS OF EXPERIENCE. 🙈🙉🙊

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote