Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-01-2009, 06:45   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by scallywag View Post
If you are such an expert, why did you ask.
I was just questioning some of your expenses, which it appears aren't the norm. How often does one "replace" a motor? If anyone is sailing with the motor running most of the time, thereby wearing it out in a hurry, then maybe a power boat is in order if they are in that much of a rush.

I can see maintenance costs as far as general motor maintenance, oil and filter changes, etc. but if I have to split a motor which hardly gets used, I have to wonder re its quality.

Fridges and stoves? Are they that unreliable to need replacement and/or servicing every few years?

But yes, I am an expert at repairing and maintaining things. I do that so that the job is done right; saving money is secondary.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:59   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiesuede View Post
There is obviously a point where that 10% figure simply has no more relevance. Now when one considers the purchase price of the majority of boats on the water, then that 10% likely applies as those boats will be under $50,000.
Exactly what I was thinking.

I have people and friends who have owned and own trying to discourage me. "Rent for a week or two and forget about all the upkeep and maintenance", they say. Thats all very nice, but what if you want one for 3 months or more?

So I guess, it depends who you talk to. I maintain by 2 and 4 wheeled vehicles far better than anyone can and listening to some people, what they spend in one year, I might spend in 5 years.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:03   #18

Thank you all for the comments so far.

Most of them list costs that I was expecting.

And whatever one takes up, there are costs. Try owning an aircraft and you will think boat ownership is a bargain.
Old 12-01-2009, 13:59   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
The point about including replacement of big ticket items such as engine, fridge, etc isn't necessarily that they require replacement often, but that if you plan on owning a boat (or a sucession of boats) over a long period of time, sooner or later you will have to replace these items, because they don't last forever, so somewhere along the way, be it in 10 or even 15 years, on this boat or the next one, you probably are going to have to replace a motor, and if that exercise costs you $15,000 then you need to figure that amount into your annual mainenance costs.
Old 12-01-2009, 14:43   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
The point about including replacement of big ticket items such as engine, fridge, etc isn't necessarily that they require replacement often, but that if you plan on owning a boat (or a sucession of boats) over a long period of time, sooner or later you will have to replace these items, because they don't last forever.
Understood. That is the same as figuring a 2000 hour TBO on an aircraft engine into your annual operating costs and building a reserve fund. Of course that changes since it is hard to see into the future to see what an engine rebuild will cost in 10 to 20 years, depending on your yearly hours.

I'm going to bet my maintenance/repair costs will be far less than most, so I won't let it worry me. I expect the usual mooring/winter storage, insurance costs, just as they are associated with any other activity.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: