Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-07-2012, 04:33   #1

Annapolis question for 2012

I see that the Annapolis boat show for 2012 will be held October 4-8. Being I have never been to that area I would like to get some feedback as to where to stay for the event. Will I need a rental car or will everything be within walking distance. What are a few things to expect during the day and possible during the evening?
My interests are mostly with cruiser/ live aboard Mono hulls around the 50 to 55 range.

Opex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:15   #2

Re: Annapolis question for 2012

Call right now to see if you can get a hotel room in Annapolis for the show. If you can get a room in downtown Annapolis -- the Loews or the Marriott -- you can do it all by foot. Probably not. Then you will need a rental car. If you need a hotel room you are likely to be out near BWI airport or some such. Then drive in, parka t the Naval Academy Stadium and take the free shuttle in. The Show is non-stop fun.

Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:58   #3

Boat: Hylas 44

If you are a serious buyer and want attention go on Friday. Great show, draws great crowds. The Westin has a shuttle to the dock area. You can try to park in Eastport and take the water taxi. In addition to manufacturers of boats and equipment, there are great deals at the Defender, West and GPS Store (and other) booths/tents, and it is a great time to look at electronics for your new vessel. i would not expect a lot of boats in your size range, but the major production boat builders will be there.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:10   #4

Boat: Morgan 45 Enchantress

Given the state of the economy, there's a good chance you could get a relatively close-in hotel room if you call now. If you're really a serious buyer, you might also consider going on Thursday which is the trade, press,vip day. It costs more buit there are far fewer people so you'll get a much better chance to talk to the reps.
FYI the shuttle buses are free but it costs $10 to park at the stadium.
I've been going to this show since it started some 40 years ago and it's well worth the trip. As has been pointed out there are lots of vendors offering real bargains in both products and installation.

SV Enchantress
located Herrington Harbour South, Friendship MD
Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
bloodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:42   #5

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

We go to the boat show almost every year and stay at B&Bs in the historical district. The cost is about the same as the high end hotels and you are right in the middle of the action. Google B&Bs Annapolis, click on the map display and check out those in the historical district.

djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:29   #6

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Delta Blues

Agree with the idea of BBs in Annapolis. Also, many people rent out their houses for the show. I live three blocks from the show and about a half dozen neighbors rent during both boat shows. Also, in addition to the parking shuttle, the city runs a free shuttle around the city, so you can probably save by staying farther out. Check Annapolis Accommodations on the Internet as well as Craigslist.

Also, if you're in town Saturday night, check out Eastport Yacht Club's Boat Show Bash. Best party in town.
- Dennis Jay
Annapolis, MD USA
dennisjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:33   #7

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

Annapolis has a decent bus service. Check it out here:
Bus Routes and Schedules
My soul is full of longing for the secret of the sea,
and the heart of the great ocean sends a thrilling pulse through me.
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Amapola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2012, 04:32   #8

Thank you all for the replies greatly appreciated
Great info
Opex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 13:57   #9
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lyle C. Hess owner built 29'6" cutter

You asked about things to do, there are some pretty good seminars on during the show. Some are put on by Cruising World Mag, others by The Chesapeake Mag folks. All are free but sometimes it's hard to figure out where they are. Check out the program, take a walk around before you go to the show and figure out how to get to the seminar rooms which are in the hotel at the edge of the show grounds. The rooms are really large so you can almost always get in to hear your favorite speakers. But last year we found it paid to know alternate ways to reach the speaking rooms as the crowds between the booth were we were working and across the show area were really thick. Some speakers we know will be there include Matt Rutherford, Jimmy Cornell, Nigel Calder, Larry and I will be speaking once each day and I think Herb McCormick will too.

Evenings there are some good events too - do some planning before you arrive. Stop by and say hi to us too. We've listed our seminar topics under the vendors specials. But times are not set yet.

Lin Pardey is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: