Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2006, 13:39   #1
pch

Annapolis in August

I'm looking for advice from seasoned sailors on the best time to plan half-day sails in August -- morning or afternoon.

I bought a 30' sloop last season and haven't figured out the summer months. My limited experience suggests late afternoon (3pm to 7pm or so) is the best time to plan, but also a chance of thunderstorms, so advance planning with friends is tough. Morning conditions have been very nice in early summer, when water is still cool, but seem unreliable and i wonder if that will last through August and Sept. Anyone here with experience in Annapolis to share?

Philip
pch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 15:27   #2

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
Afternoons generally have more breeze but if it's hot which it normally is the T Storms are a potential. Best sailing is after Labor day through Oct. in the fall. Just look at the forecasts and weather an run with it. Planning can be tough. I've seen August with no wind for weeks.... have fun
Jon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 16:35   #3
SG

Boat: J/160 #12
Pattern?

I think it varys a lot without a lot of easy to discern pattern.

If its an issue of a stabilized "high" (Bermuda high, with winds from the south), then I think that there is often a better situation for the afternoon being a bit better -- but it varies depending on how early you mean when you say morning. (You don't mean at 6:00 - 9:30 AM?)

Otherwise, I think that the afternoon is usually better. The T-Storms can be an issue, but usually not that big a deal unless you try to "get-in" to a slip in the middle of a blow when you should stay out.

Frankly, so far this year, we've not had that much really strong wind. (Except for the monsoon of a while ago, when we got a ten days of HEAVY rain.)
SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 16:46   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
August isn't the best time of year to sail here. You catch what you can. I would say neither is better than the other. I have found both to yield good and bad days. I would check the marine forecast for a period of a few days and take the best choice available. T Storms in the afternoon matter the most. You just can't say one way or another what is best this time of year.

The later in the month the better. Right now hasn't been great. The severe heat has been pretty bad.

If it's any matter we take off in the car on Wednesday for a road trip to upstate NY. I won't get serious about sailing til 1st of Spetember. Then you can start talking about good sailing through end of November at least down here on the southern fat end of the Bay. October is when the real fun begins.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 18:56   #5

Boat: Tayana 37, M-20/I-20 Scow
For August sailing on the Chesapeake, look for which shore the clouds are thicker and sail under the 'thicker'. Late July and Early August can have little wind on the Chesapeake depending on the 'flow patterns' of the prevailing winds. However there are three sets of 'onshore/offshore' breezes due to the heating effect of the land. Those 'rows of clouds' along the shoreline will indicate which of the two shorelines are producing more 'shore breeze' wind .... and you will usuallly find some breeze along either shore, more than in the 'middle'. Oh the 'third', ... is when the ocean shore breeze on the coast crosses the DelMarVa penninsula and sometimes comes in as far as the bay in mid afternoon - Wahoo !!!!!!
Richhh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annapolis