Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2016, 12:14   #16

Re: Anchoring sailboat offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I've run around in a small powerboat more than three miles out, got out in less than knee deep water and pushed off in the Big Bend area of Fl, specifically South of Alligator Point.
So it depends, course really shallow water makes for some very different waves than deep water too.
You anchoring for fishing? If so then unless your boat sails at anchor like mine does, then I don't see any difference than a power boat.
Actually I believe due to the higher mass of a sailboats keel and the greater inertia of the mast, the movement at anchor is less than a powerboat, or at least that is my belief
Yes, fishing, the sailboat Im interested in has a huge cockpit area and a couple of people who go out with me asked if they could go to a fishing spot. I say 3-4 foot waves just incase the seas build up to that amount. The boat im now very close to buying is a Macwester, bilge keel, 28 foot
gulfbreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 12:16   #17

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Since the OP is not providing much to go on for answering the question, I read some of his previous posts.

Looks like we're taking UK, and a 26' boat:
So OP is new to the sailing scene. I am sure he will learn fast with all sailing terminology and techniques.
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 12:21   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

To be clear, you don't anchor 2-3 miles off shore, you keep sailing.

When you get to an anchorage yes you can get a riding sail to keep you pointed into the wind, but a wind scoop in the aft stateroom also works well and adds a lot of ventilation to the boat.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 12:25   #19

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
a wind scoop in the aft stateroom
Aft stateroom?
Dang, those 28' Macwester boats have a LOT more room inside than you'd think
Old 09-03-2016, 12:36   #20
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Fifty feet of water, three miles offshore and still well up on the continental shelf? Kinda the exception the rule. And when it is shallow offshore, there are often killer waves, as they come in across the Atlantic and then get really frisky as the water shoals.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 12:36   #21

Actually you can anchor anywhere you want with enough rode. I have taken numerous trips off the coast of NC and been anchored in 100' of water sometimes in 5-6 foot seas. This wasn't on a sailboat it was either SCUBA diving the wrecks or fishing. Yes it tends to be a little uncomfortable and even harder to get back on the boat like that when you are diving but it is done all the time.

Pretty fun to watch the back of the boat coming all the way out of the water in a swell while trying to grab a hold of the ladder!
Hoosiersailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 12:41   #22
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Pretty fun to watch the back of the boat coming all the way out of the water in a swell while trying to grab a hold of the ladder! "
The dive industry is a bit screwy in itself. NOAA prefers, strongly prefers, perhaps requires, that divers enter and leave the water from a midships platform and ladder, precisely because that's the most stable part of a rocking boat, and less likely to bash the diver in the face.
But if you ask PADI or NAUI...or any of the boat operators...those idiots at NOAA have no idea of what diver safety is all about. NOAA is wrong, and the divers are right. [sigh]
Then they complain about bad pr from diver death rates and accidents...
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 12:49   #23

What are bilge keels like for rolling?

By the way, I did a ton of boating on the west coast of Florida, but now Live in the UK
gulfbreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 13:02   #24

Well 3 miles out from Amroth, you are in 20ft to 30ft of water. Same due East of Tenby North beach. Not bad fishing that way either (though I prefer Pembrokeshires North coast).

Good strong boat those. I spent a lot of time on a Macwester 26.

Pembrokeshire has a great coastline from the sea.
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 13:30   #25

Boat: Hallberg Rassy Rasmus 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"Pretty fun to watch the back of the boat coming all the way out of the water in a swell while trying to grab a hold of the ladder! "
The dive industry is a bit screwy in itself. NOAA prefers, strongly prefers, perhaps requires, that divers enter and leave the water from a midships platform and ladder, precisely because that's the most stable part of a rocking boat, and less likely to bash the diver in the face.
But if you ask PADI or NAUI...or any of the boat operators...those idiots at NOAA have no idea of what diver safety is all about. NOAA is wrong, and the divers are right. [sigh]
Then they complain about bad pr from diver death rates and accidents...
Rear mounted dive ladders are pretty much the industry standard in North America. I doubt PADI or any other training agency has any say in it.
wedivebc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 13:30   #26

Boat: Various Cruising Dinghies

I can think of lots of reasons to anchor 2 or 3 miles off shore. Watching air shows, major fireworks displays, diving, fishing to name just a few. 3-4 foot seas might be a bit nauseating at anchor, but it can certainly be done.

Some things I would watch out for? Put out lots of scope, depending where you are, it might only be 30 feet 3 miles off shore, lots of boats are set up with 300' of rode, so it should be possible.

Check to make sure your hard points, cleats or whatever it is you make your anchor off to are up to the task. For example, if you have small deck cleats with no backing, you could easily wind up peeling open your deck or breaking the cleats.

If your windlass is on the lower end of the power scale, heaving in that 300' might be a time and power consuming proposition, because you might only be able to heave when the boat is moving down, avoid heaving on the up if you can.

Have your bow person tether themselves and put on a life jacket for shipping the anchor, or at least I would.

Bilge keels will certainly dampen the roll in a sea, that's what they're for, but I think it might still be a pukey ride in a 28 foot boat, just the pitching and heaving might be uncomfortable even assuming you can manage the roll.

I would avoid trying to sail off the anchor in those conditions, too many force vectors to be concerned about, use your engine, if it'll start.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Ungvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 13:35   #27
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i prefer anchoring in coves and bays. no sail. good holding and 20 ft water. offshore here the water here gets deep.
if i stop sailing just to fish i drift with current(boat in irons) until done , then take boat out of irons and sail on.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 13:37   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I regularly dive an artificial reef site off Clearwater FL that's about 25 miles out but only 85' deep. Usually hook the anchor on the wreck and bring it up on the last dive.

I've done this in 3-4' waves and it wasn't much fun. I would use a long, nylon rode for the stretch to minimize the stress on boat, gear and crew in the waves. Min 3X the water depth.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 13:41   #29

Boat: Various Cruising Dinghies

Some practical reasons for anchoring off in a chop might include waiting for a ride to change to get up a river or waiting for a scheduled bridge lift.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Ungvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 13:47   #30

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfbreez View Post
yes, to stop any rolling. How effective are the flopper stoppers?
There are probably 4 or 5 different kinds available and they work very well especially if deployed off both sides out on either boom and or whisker or spinnaker poles. Since there can be quite a bit of stress on them repeatedly I have a dedicated pole and fitting for them.
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, offshore, sail, sailboat