Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-11-2011, 14:41   #106

Boat: Peterson 46
Re: Anchoring Jerks

Having someone anchor under your 'swing' has always been a pet hate of mine. I have been in crowded anchorages where you will be anchored over unless you get comfortable in using a 3 or 4 to 1 scope.

Last year we saw a sister yacht to ours and I wanted to say hello; so we came and proceeded to anchor next to it. I felt comfortable with the distance and the swing, but he obviously didn't and I guess I must allow myself to be accused of hypocrisy as the other boat up anchored and moved away.. [i should have just dinghied over]

Old 20-11-2011, 17:12   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebird View Post
BC has mandatory licensing for boaters, so I have no idea why so many people are so ignorant.
So...... one is to assume that simply because one has a drivers license that those many pounds of steel contain a driver with a lick of common sense? Same difference.. you can take all the boating classes and get all the licenses on the planet that does not mean you have either common sense or experience.. Of course, the term "ignorant" can be a highly subjective term..
YMMV

Old 21-11-2011, 09:38   #108
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man

Bad advise from the "CF Adviser"
At the risk of standing up for my fellow adviser, I should point out that the job of the Board of Advisers is to advise forum management, not forum members.

However, advice given by CF Advisers to forum members is worth every penny you pay for it.
Old 21-11-2011, 10:05   #109
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 2001 Albin 28TE.

Quote:
However, advice given by CF Advisers to forum members is worth every penny you pay for it.
In other words, nothing..?
CSY Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2011, 10:44   #110

Boat: Celestial 48

Just to stir pot:
I sailed over to Catalina on a July 4th weekend. Avalon harbor was packed, and I anchored out in roadstead in about 75' depth. Were boats all around, but found a spot where I was maybe 250' away from everyone. Wind was maybe 1 knot, bottom was sand. Put out 300' rode. I got another 150' line up on deck ready to tie-on in case wind came up (never did).

Got woken in middle of night by a boat that had not even been close to me earlier (but was now very close). He was yelling at me, calling me *******, and that everyone else around was also assholes. He says that obviously we don't know what we are doing since we are not "swinging" to a seamanship like 8:1 scope like he is.

8:1 scope? That would be 600 feet! And with everyone drifting about (dead calm, boats not even pointing same direction) his rode was likely doing figure 8s all over the bottom.

Holding on to "seamanship rules" such as "never less than 7:1 scope" can also make one jerkish IMHO.
Old 21-11-2011, 12:48   #111
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

when it comes right down to it ............ isn't everyone that anchors next you by definition ............. a JERK?
Old 21-11-2011, 12:51   #112

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
when it comes right down to it ............ isn't everyone that anchors next you by definition ............. a JERK?
nah, they may be inexperienced but a jerk if they don't move when you point out safety and privacy issues.
Old 21-11-2011, 13:07   #113

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I'll have to remind myself to stay away from anchorages you folks frequent.In 30 plus years of Crusing I have not been exposed to Anchor fool's more than 3 times,with quick resolution.Even in the crowded anchorages of the Bahamas.
Old 21-11-2011, 13:33   #114
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by casual
I'll have to remind myself to stay away from anchorages you folks frequent.
Perfect. Now if only I could get everyone else to stay away from the anchorages I frequent!
Old 21-11-2011, 14:12   #115

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I,will
Old 21-11-2011, 14:58   #116
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Perfect. Now if only I could get everyone else to stay away from the anchorages I frequent!

You have to post locations
Old 21-11-2011, 18:56   #117

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
In 30 plus years of Crusing I have not been exposed to Anchor fool's more than 3 times,with quick resolution.Even in the crowded anchorages of the Bahamas.
Same here, quick resolution if ya confront or challenge the jerks.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:45   #118

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaring Girl View Post
There's a cartoon book in national stereotypes around anchoring. The French: good at going off the chart, but keen on anchoring too close. Spanish: scope usually about 1.5:1 but it's only for lunch. British: want a lot of space. Americans: want even more space. Working out what's going to happen from the national ensign is part of the fun.
+1. Maybe add Italians to the stereotype list...........
JOHN
Old 20-01-2012, 08:34   #119
jzk

Those already anchored can be jerks too.

Over the holidays, we had occasion to anchor in Lake Silvia, Fort Lauderdale, twice. The first time, there was plenty of room, we backed down and it stuck great. No problemo. I always back down almost excessively to gain piece of mind.

On the way back from Miami, we arrived at Lake Siliva after dark, and the wind was starting to pick up. Forecast was some pretty good wind all night and into the next day. It was important to do it right. It was a little more crowded. We go over to a nice big spot (which, in itself might be warning of a problem...), back down, sticks at first, then pops out. Up comes the anchor and we do it again in a little different spot. Same result.

So we go to the other side of the anchorage and pick another spot with enough room. We are backing down, and inevitably it doesn't stick at first, but then we are stuck. Unfortunately, we are probably too close to this couple from London England. Had the anchor stuck where we chose, it would have been no problem, but it took a while, and we were probably too close. Maybe not, but probably.

Immediately, the couple comes on deck yelling and screaming that we need to move to the other side of the anchorage, that we are dangerously close, etc. etc. etc.

Can you give me a few minutes here? We just came in from a half day trip, tried to anchor three times. We are finally stuck, but, perhaps, not exactly in the most idea spot. If you were paying attention, you would see that we didn't just drop right here next to you, we were hoping to stick way up there.

We moved, found a spot still near them, but in more than an acceptable location and had no further incident. No further communication from them. They were jerks.
Old 20-01-2012, 10:03   #120

Boat: 75' 1932 UW Research Vessel

Hmmmm.

Anchoring seems to bring out a lot of passive/aggresive behaviors! It must be very tricky!

My approach, preferable to loosing a night's sleep, or letting someone live rent free inside my head by my being irrationally pissed off at them, is to call the anchoring vessel on the rafio while they're still manouvering. I'm always polite and friendly.

I tell them how much scope I have out, and what I may know about the scope and anchor locations of other boats already in the anchorage. If the place is familiar to me, I let them know what I know about tidal currents or wind patterns. I usually don't suggest an anchoring location, but will offer advice if asked.

If I'm entering, I try and contact boats already anchored and do the same in reverse.

Sitting in silence while seething isn't a good way to treat yourself, IMHO.

Tags
anchor, anchoring

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: