Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-11-2011, 14:45   #91

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Re: Anchoring Jerks

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipofools View Post
shallow draft helps a bunch. look forward to seeing you two when you get down here.
It sure does! For years I anchored in my favorite spot which had a depth of about 6-7' at high tide but a soft mud bottom. My draft was 5.5'. When the tide went out, my keel buried into the mud. Never had any problems. Many times people came by and asked, "isn't it shallow there?" I always replied, "It sure is, but I have a swing keel!" I don't even think Hunter made a swing keel.

Old 02-11-2011, 15:18   #92

Boat: 40' Northstar Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
Distances can be hard to judge!
Very true, I find looking at the situation from the dingy reveals a greater distance than my first impression. Its true that we all have our own distance comfort level. I've had boats anchor close enough to me to cause anxiety and I've been waived off by the "we only anchor 7:1" crowd.

Old 02-11-2011, 15:54   #93
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
Twice I have read about hit-and-run situations now. Are there no consequences to this sort of behaviour on the water? Is there no method available for tracking somebody doing this - something like a newsletter to all marinas that goes out weekly or monthly with a listing of all boats that are wanted or stolen or what-not ? Is it really that easy to do damage and just ignore it and sail away ?
As far as anchoring protection, seems like a spike belt all around the boat would be pretty useful unless you are the one dragging How do you prove that someone drifted into you as compared to you drifting into them - suppose you arrive early and you have plenty of room, somebody arrives later and picks a spot too close to you, the wind picks up and you make contact in the night. Assuming the offending boat hasn't conveniently disappeared, how do you prove that you were there first ?
i love to take pictures of new anchorages.. somtimes boats are in those pix...pix have timestamps.
easy to know who was there first-but the problem is --conflict --if there is same--i leave to find some other place or do the bathing suit flaunt or litterbox duty and no conflict exists. i was goood at flinging my lure in fishing--i need practice now--has been a year...that helps, also..
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 10:49   #94

Boat: Hunter, Deck Salon, 44, Fullmoon

Great! The Meerkat photo and story made us LOL
Old 14-11-2011, 11:48   #95

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Jd1, you might be interested in an event that occurred in the PNW back in the late 70's. I was delivering a fairly good size power boat from a yard on the Fraser River to new owners on Vancouver Island and anchored over night in a bay in the Gulf Islands at around sundown. Weather was forecast to kick up so I was pretty careful about scope and position of the other boats in the anchorage and entered the info into the ships log. As the wind piped up, I was up several times during the evening to make certain we weren't dragging.
On one of these occasions, I noticed a sailboat which had come in about 3 hours after we had our hook down slowly sliding down on us. I roused the crew and shone a light on the sailboat which was anchored without a light anywhere on board. I started our engines but before I could get our anchor aboard, the other vessel lost all holding of their anchor and crashed into us causing slight damage to our vessel but lifted the toe rail and bent several stantions aboard the sailboat.
A subsequent lawsuit initiated by the sailboat owner ended up in court with me having to defend myself even though the facts were clear who was at fault. One of the main pieces of evidence introduced by our attorneys was our ships log which clearly stated the time and position of anchoring of our vessel, our anchor watch which was noted in the log, positions of other vessels in the anchorage and subsequent write-up of the collision.
Before ruling the judge admonished me that as a professional mariner, I would be held to a higher standard of conduct than the weekend warrior who had caused the collision. The judge found the other boat 100% at fault and ordered him to pay all costs of damage to both vessels plus court costs. The case was quite noteworthy at the time as there had been a rash of collisions between pleasure boats in the area.
It points up the importance of documentation, particularly if you are licensed.
Capt Phil
Old 17-11-2011, 01:29   #96

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I've experienced Anchor Madness many times,My best was in The Bahamas at Powell Key.I always anchor way out,No Bugs and lota of swinging room,never know what the night winds will bring.One such time 2 boats no matter where I sat anchor came with me after the 3rd try I Camly said whats up as they were 50 ft away,they were crusing together for the first time and didn't have a clue so they figured do what I do.An hour later and a couple of beers all was well.That was 30 yrs ago.We still sail together.Better to make a friend than a Foe.
Old 19-11-2011, 09:48   #97

Boat: hunter 31

Although I didnt read all pages of this post, I didnt see any other posts about the "other" anchoring jerks. People who drive boats, sometimes at suprising speeds, right past your bow when at anchor. Anchored at BCs Buccaneer Bay this summer, we had several small power boats go right over our anchor line, until one of them finally snagged it, causing no damage. Once we got him free, another boat went by us not 20 feet from our bow doing 15 knots, even though, in all cases, there was hundreds of feet all around us to swing well away from our boat.
BC has mandatory licensing for boaters, so I have no idea why so many people are so ignorant.

"The most efficient bilge pump in the world is a frightened sailor with a bucket."
Old 19-11-2011, 10:23   #98
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yeah, having license requirements doesnt really do anything but create a tax base. Otherwise... why do I see all those 20 somethings texting while driving? It's actually amazing to me how many I see... I mean llike almost every one of them!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 12:47   #99
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 2001 Albin 28TE.

Quote:
The first few times that sort of thing happened to us, I got uptight and angry about it. But nothing really bad happened, so the only outcome was that I was uptight and angry. I came to the conclusion that it's better not to worry about it and deal with whatever (if anything) happens. And nothing bad ever did happen.

Everyone has their own concept of comfortable "anchoring space", and you can't really do anything about it. Worrying about it just destroys your pleasure in being in a beautiful spot, on your boat with your loved one.
Bad advise from the "CF Adviser"

If somebody anchors too close to your boat or on top of your anchor, you should do more than "Not to worry about it"

If the boat in front of you starts dragging in the middle of the night in the 45 knot squall and you have an all chain rode, you can not cut the line and get out of his way, nor can you motor up and retrive your anchor because he is on top of it.

If somebody anchors on top of my anchor or too close, I just yell at them: "Hey guys, you are on top of my anchor"
Usually they Ooops and go to a different spot.
If they are too close I ask 'em if they are spending the night.
If not, not big deal as long as they don't run a gen set and suffocate us with fumes and noise.

Have gone visiting with my dink several times to explain that the first boat to anchor has the "right of way" and would they please move or shut down the generator or music or jet ski, whatever.

If they don't see the light and insist on being jerks or ignorant, I pull my anchor and move.

If a too close anchoring situation are about to happen, better nip it in the bud than wait for the 0200 thunderstorm to start blowing boats around and "Not worry about it".
CSY Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2011, 07:51   #100

One of the better reads I've seen on this "issue": Hanging Out and Hooking On - SailboatOwners.com

Being assertive doesn't mean being aggressive.
Old 20-11-2011, 08:04   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
It is not worth getting excited about it. If I don't like the way someone has anchored near me, I make it a rule to pull up my own anchor, and go somewhere else. With a smile. If you let yourself get aggravated, you are just allowing someone to spoil your day -- spoil the whole reason why you're out on the water in the first place -- which is to enjoy life.

I don't mind anchoring and reanchoring -- it's part of the sport, after all. I just do it again -- presto, problem solved, good mood intact, life is still good, and treat myself to another sundowner.
yep.... and out of curiousity why did you sit and fume all night and not either ;
1. say something the second they were anchoring about being over your anchor
2. getting in the dingy the second they dropped the hook... and so on.... you had the oppurtunity to do something and you wanted to sit there and fume and bitch all night? not me.. life is just to short.. I get in the dingy and hi myself over and politely tell them to move.. or I move myself..
Old 20-11-2011, 14:05   #102

For those of you who move when someone anchors over you:

Have you ever considered that maybe that's why they do it? You have a good spot, they want it, they get close, you move, they "win."

Makes little sense to me, when every single book I've ever read says first come, first served. Basic courtesy.

If you continue to have this "issue" why not copy a few excerpts from these books, and simply hand them out to the idiots?

I anchored earlier this week, realized i was too close to another skipper who was there first, I moved.

If "you"/"we" continue to condone this kind of behavior, it's only going to spread. Just because, maybe, they're "anchoring newbies" doesn't excuse it at all. All it takes to learn is to read a West Marine catalog, doesn't even need a whole book!
Old 20-11-2011, 14:07   #103
Do or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I know a boat that has the ultimate solution for the problem: they carry a potato gun... if you're in range, you're too close.

ciao!
Nick.
Old 20-11-2011, 14:27   #104

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Living on dirt waiting for our new yacht to be built.
Boat: Half built Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Bad advise from the "CF Adviser"

If somebody anchors too close to your boat or on top of your anchor, you should do more than "Not to worry about it"

It is annoying in a deserted anchorage when someone anchors on top of you, but in the more crowded anchorages of the world it is inevitable someone will anchor so there boat is swinging over the top of your anchor. In most cases this sort of distance is perfectly safe.
Often its not a bad thing, because it is about as much room as you will get, and it does not leave enough room for another boat to squeeze in
Old 20-11-2011, 14:35   #105
Do or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Often its not a bad thing, because it is about as much room as you will get, and it does not leave enough room for another boat to squeeze in
Don't bet on that haha. We normally put our anchor down right at the stern of the boat in front of us (after reassuring them that we're not gonna hit them) and we have had many cases where a boat still anchored in between. They just use less than half the scope and think it's normal. Note that these are charter boats, it doesn't really help to try and explain why they shouldn't do these things because 1) they don't care and 2) they don't understand you and 3) they don't want to learn anything either.

We normally shorten scope so that they sweat close under our bow a bit before suggesting that they move.

cheers,
Nick.

Tags
anchor, anchoring

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: