Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-11-2011, 07:33   #76
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Anchoring Jerks

No names , but I suspect some people here do not recognise themselves from the thread title..........

Old 02-11-2011, 09:29   #77
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
No names , but I suspect some people here do not recognise themselves from the thread title..........
Dammit DOJ, are you talkin' about me again?

Old 02-11-2011, 09:59   #78
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Much depends on the country you are in and who the invaders are.

The other day I saw a charter boat sneekin' in and trying to anchor the intimate way. I dropped my pants, stood on our cabin top and with a loud YAHOOOOOOO I dove over the stanchions and into the lovely blue lagoon.

When I emerged the invaders were gone and admiral told me the rest of the story: The Lady went "Oh, look Pierre, this is the PERFECT spot to anchor! Pierre's response was "Oh no, Darling, it does not look SAFE at all, we would be too close...."

;-)

It is a true story.

b.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:17   #79

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin3 View Post
You are right in part but you have to put it in context. A lot of what used to be favoured anchorages years back were filled with moorings as the demand from more and more joining in grew. Then too the newbies are often nervous of anchoring, madame likes walking ashore and then you see more marina hopping.

Second reason in the English Channel coastline, is that the French side (Normandy and North Brittany) is generally exposed to the prevailing SW winds, plus the tides run very fast and the tide range is huge, 50ft in places around St Malo. Go round the corner into Biscay and South Brittany however and you will find the anchorages in August especially full! The tides here are much gentler and the ranges generally well under 15ft.

I'm going to be a transplant the other way to Florida, the ICW and the Islands and I'm getting concerned at all the moves to prevent anchoring, notably in some city limits like St Augustine. As I understand it they (Florida) tried to ban anchoring but that was thrown out as illegal, so the new tactic is to put down large mooring fields where anchoring was popular and then to have local laws that say no anchoring in or within such a distance from said mooring fields. It all seems so innocuous at present, the charges for visitors in St Augustine are reasonable (cheap by UK standards) at $20/night regardless of size and including shore acces and pumpout. Jump ahead a few years and will it be the same? Will there still be anywhere in Florida to anchor near any town or city?

As for anchoring too close I don't like it, but I have mellowed and try to be more negotiating than confronting but some folks do try my patience! The French used to be really dreadful, but have improved in recent years to being merely not so considerate as others... Probably one reason is so many are charter boats. The main objective is to not anchor downwind of any dodgy candidates and if necessary to move before any situation arises.
Indeed, you need good ground tackle and lots of confidence to anchor in North Brittany. And probably the most forbidding looking coast I have seen. It's not for sissies. But I don't agree about the wind - the whole coast is sheltered if it's SW, and you can find plenty of shelter from even W or NW -- the coast is highly indented. It's actually a fine place to anchor if you've got 100 metres of 12mm as I do . . .

Don't get nervous about anchoring in Florida. Anchoring is a whole way of life there. The holding is almost invariably excellent. The tidal range is b***r-all. The anchor regulations are aimed at live-aboards; as a cruiser you will hardly feel them. Marinas are much more expensive and not as good as in the UK. Life at anchor is paradise in that climate. Don't forget to bring your snorkel.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:19   #80
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

barnie, ye crack me up-- gooodwork!!!!!!
bluestocking---i WISH i were beauty!!!! i just have a shape and not toooo fea, kinda like my boat... the beauty on board is me cat!!! he is awesome puuuurrrty.
corona is good, but i really have grown a taste for negro modelo--yummy beer......

charter boats are a kick to watch until they drag into ye-- jvd has the show to watch in that arena....so does pensacola's big harbor--4th of july anchor show. fireworks pale next to this spectacle!!.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:44   #81

Boat: San Juan 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryb View Post
We got a good chuckle at the prevalent "herd mentality", by sundown, there was ten or more boats all anchored a quarter mile off the beach when it was perfectly safe to anchor a couple hundred feet from shore.
I experienced the opposite of that.

Anchored in a bay with a very shallow entrance waiting for the tide to come up enough to get out. Ten other boats waiting for the same thing. I tracked the depth on my way in and knew I could get out following my entrance line with six inches to spare.

Pulled anchor and eight of the ten boats quickly pulled up theirs and followed me through the 50-foot entrance like a parade. A few of the larger boats wisely chickened out; I'm certain they would have found the bottom.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:48   #82

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Indeed, you need good ground tackle and lots of confidence to anchor in North Brittany. And probably the most forbidding looking coast I have seen. It's not for sissies. But I don't agree about the wind - the whole coast is sheltered if it's SW, and you can find plenty of shelter from even W or NW -- the coast is highly indented. It's actually a fine place to anchor if you've got 100 metres of 12mm as I do . . .

Don't get nervous about anchoring in Florida. Anchoring is a whole way of life there. The holding is almost invariably excellent. The tidal range is b***r-all. The anchor regulations are aimed at live-aboards; as a cruiser you will hardly feel them. Marinas are much more expensive and not as good as in the UK. Life at anchor is paradise in that climate. Don't forget to bring your snorkel.
I should have expanded on the SW wind 'cos that is where it starts, then goes W then NW as the low pressure areas trundle through! We anchored a lot along the North Brittany coast but it certainly isn't for wimps or someone that struggles with tide height calculations. We always anchored in L'Aberwrac'h, off Roscoff, off Les Sept Isles, Port Blanc, Treguier River and Brehat to name a few along there, but you need to edge in far enough to get out of the tide flow but not so far you bump bottom at LW. You are right though that most people don't anchor along there and prefer the visitor buoys or marinas, but I'm parsimonius. Same in the Channels Islands, strong tides and big ranges put people off, as do the rolly (sometimes very) anchorages but we were regulars there in Havret Bay, Havre Gosselin, Dixcart and Derrible Bays off Sark and so on. Normandy once east of St Vaast offers little protection from the prevailing winds but we have anchored off Isles St Marcouf as well as St Vaast a few times.

Anchoring in Florida in the ICW looks fine as does it out in the Bahamas etc. My concern is that the means Florida are using to chase away what they mean by liveaboards (ie derelicts) will impact on the available places for 'cruisers that happen to live aboard', which will be us. Our new boat is in St Augustine Fl, currently ashore until Uncle Sam gets around to my green card (good lady being a colonial) and we got to see the new mooring fields there which pretty well have taken out all the anchoring places. OK so the buoys are cheap enough (right now) but the mooring field idea is a trial for the whole State, together with a similar one in another city I forget which. The danger, IMO as well as others I'm reading, is that this will rapidly expand so the very reasonable intent of getting shot of derelict squatter boats will end up affecting all the genuine cruisers. It isn't just Florida either because I believe Georgia are also at it, to the point that I have heard of people rushing on by rather than stopping to visit. It's a win win for local City halls, get rid of the derelicts whilst raking in money for the City, never mind though if local businesses suffer longer term because folk pass hurredly by.

Big question is do we switch our big Bruce (copy) for a big Delta or a bendy Rocna! (just joking...)
Old 02-11-2011, 11:15   #83

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I dropped my pants, stood on our cabin top and with a loud YAHOOOOOOO I dove over the stanchions and into the lovely blue lagoon.

b.

If you jump into our FRIGID WATERS, you will yell YAHOOOOO louder than ever even without a good looking Admiral nextdoor!

Foggy
Old 02-11-2011, 11:35   #84

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i fish. in my bathing suit--if the lady of the boat dislikes that--they relocate quickly.

i actually have a shape, and not to bad a shape. some females dislike their men being anchored too close to a SINGLE female with SHAPE.

if that doesnt work, there is always litter box duty......
LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-11-2011, 11:57   #85

Boat: Roaring Girl: Maxi 120 ketch, 12 long

Hud said it right on p1 - though we've had one or two anxious nights and some chortles. Picked up a Bavaria in Isla Cies, and tied it alongside till stressed owners came to retrieve it. Had to move from a good spot because of rude motorboats in Le Grazie and Elba. When we moved in la Grazie, a sailboat then dragged onto us - at 0345, just 15 mins after I'd decided to stop being such a worrywort and went to bed. But they didn't hit us, and then they were gone and I could sleep!

There's a cartoon book in national stereotypes around anchoring. The French: good at going off the chart, but keen on anchoring too close. Spanish: scope usually about 1.5:1 but it's only for lunch. British: want a lot of space. Americans: want even more space. Working out what's going to happen from the national ensign is part of the fun.
Roaring Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:58   #86
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
Here is a winter project:
Examine this thread, and list the action taken by individual posters, and their location
Next season, anchor right on top of every boat you can, and see if you can identify the CF member by his/her action.
Hint: Zee is the beauty with the Formosa, and the Corona.
I got the baby diapers and the catapult ready for you Blue...
Old 02-11-2011, 12:14   #87
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Twice I have read about hit-and-run situations now. Are there no consequences to this sort of behaviour on the water? Is there no method available for tracking somebody doing this - something like a newsletter to all marinas that goes out weekly or monthly with a listing of all boats that are wanted or stolen or what-not ? Is it really that easy to do damage and just ignore it and sail away ?
As far as anchoring protection, seems like a spike belt all around the boat would be pretty useful unless you are the one dragging How do you prove that someone drifted into you as compared to you drifting into them - suppose you arrive early and you have plenty of room, somebody arrives later and picks a spot too close to you, the wind picks up and you make contact in the night. Assuming the offending boat hasn't conveniently disappeared, how do you prove that you were there first ?
Old 02-11-2011, 12:23   #88
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
...How do you prove that someone drifted into you as compared to you drifting into them...
It's not always obvious... to some people, anyway.

We finished the Maryland Governor's Cup, an overnight race from Annapolis to St Mary's, anchored well downwind from a small Hunter, and caught the water taxi in to the college to take showers. Coming back out to the boat on the water taxi, we were the first to get off. A guy on the taxi pipes up with, "Say, Cap, you anchored pretty close to us didn't you?". Our skipper glanced at the Hunter, which was now about 60' off our bow, and said, "Not really, Skip. Your boat's dragging anchor!"

The wind was maybe 5-6 knots, but sure enough, the Hunter was slowly coming closer. It's skipper leaped aboard, hauled up his anchor and sheepishly motored to the other side of the anchorage.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:47   #89
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Once, when we were sailing in the area around the Caribbean French islands, I came up with a technique to get rid of these French charter boats that anchor too close... it was simply finding a spot between two other boats so that we got close to both... but just not too close.

It didn't work, the French charter boats (mostly Parisian land lubbers aboard those I guess) anchored between us and the neighbours anyway, ending up about 20' off our beam. When I asked why they did that, I was told that they anchored right in the middle between the two boats; that there was just not more room. When I asked why they didn't anchor a bit further on where there was plenty room I got this sheepish (frog-like really) look.

So many years later I have found the solution though... remove yourself from the area to places where the charter boats don't come and most cruisers are too scared to go (=West Carib for this part of the world).

ciao!
Nick.
Old 02-11-2011, 13:34   #90

Boat: Shuttlecat 32
Send a message via Skype™ to shipofools

shallow draft helps a bunch. look forward to seeing you two when you get down here.

Tags
anchor, anchoring

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: