Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2011, 22:36   #61

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl
Re: Anchoring Jerks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
At some basic primate level it makes sense: if you ran across some guy living in a forest, you can probably assume that he's in the best spot regarding proximity to resources.
I've played with this, especially in Mexico, where there are a lot of new people (who tend to anchor in a tight cluster, usually around the exact spot where the anchor symbol is in the cruising guide) and some of the anchorages are absolutely enormous (like Tenacatita).

If you anchor way way far away from the pack, the folks who come in after you tend to anchor halfway between you and the tight cluster. And people after that fill in the holes. Pretty soon there is a line of boats between you and what was a tight little cluster, and everyone is spread out nicely.

I second the thought of learning to read the charts and 'making your own' anchorage that is not in the guide books.
msponer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 23:36   #62

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
I've been saving this for just the right post...

Some of the anchorages in Europe can get busy and you will not find the sort of clearance that many talk about here.
Incidents from boats swinging into us have been rare, problems with other boats dragging into us are much more common. Have a powerful torch and fog horn to wake them up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	09 lunchtime fleet s.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	33171  
Attached Images

noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 23:51   #63

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Some of the anchorages in Europe can get busy and you will not find the sort of clearance that many talk about here.
Incidents from boats swinging into us have been rare, problems with other boats dragging into us are much more common. Have a powerful torch and fog horn to wake them up.
I am a transplant to the UK South Coast from Florida (sailing-wise). What you say is true about the Med, but not at all about the European Atlantic coast, in my experience. It is remarkable, but despite seemingly millions of sailboats on the UK South Coast - sailing is a very popular pastime for that maritime nation -- the coat is fairly wild and the anchorages are mostly empty. UK sailors mostly sail from marina to marina, apparently -- there is no competition for good anchoring spots.

That did not prevent one chap from dragging into me in the middle of one stormy night in Mupe Bay and putting a hole in my gelcoat. Three boats in a vast anchorage which could accomodate probably half the Royal Navy, and he picked that precise spot! I put out some fenders and let him hang onto us for the rest of the night, as the holding is poor there, and he was nervous.

In Brittany and Normandy you will hardly see another boat at anchor. I spent most of August cruising North Brittany and Normandy, and at anchor we were all alone everywhere, with the exception of just one place -- and August is the high season when everyone has vacation. Of course, anchoring is somewhat tricky there with a tidal range of up to 50 feet in spots. At St. Vaast last year, a gorgeous spot which attracts lots of cruisers, also in August, we had a vast anchorage just under the old city all to ourselves for most of a week. A wide bay with perfect shelter and excellent holding -- could have accomodated 1000 boats, I reckon. We were all alone!

Go figure!
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 00:52   #64

Boat: in between boats

I think that we are a social animals. If only one boat is in a huge anchorage alone, the new arrival doesn't want to be deemed antisocial if they don't anchor close enough at least for a friendly wave and short dink ride for sundowners. One quote from all the sail reading I have done is, "If you didn't have a social life before you went cruising, you will develop one while cruising." It is true, it is very likely that you will make many cruising friends along the way, that is if you are open for it. One sure way to not make friends is by being the anchorage jerk or the anchorage natzi.
I got quite the chuckle when doing the bash home to San Diego from Mexico very late in the season. We arrived in Turtle Bay to find 30 to 40 boats anchored near the little town. We had to anchor way the hell out, but still in about thirty feet, so no biggy. The next morning, we awoke to find were one of just a few boats left, everyone seemed to be bashing home trying to stay ahead of storms and hurricanes. We weren't in any big hurry since all the storms historically veered west out to sea as they encountered colder water. By evening, we were the only boat in Turtle Bay. We were anchored way out in the bay, Ernesto the panga operator, whom we had become friends with on the south bound leg, came by to visit and asked us why we don't move in closer. We said we were to lazy, and enjoyed it out here. The next day, as a few other north bound cruisers came in, despite our distance form the beach, they all anchored equally as far out as us, in the same general vicinity as us. When we arrived, we were anchored the farthest out of the thirty or so boats already there, now everyone was anchoring that far out. We got a good chuckle at the prevalent "herd mentality", by sundown, there was ten or more boats all anchored a quarter mile off the beach when it was perfectly safe to anchor a couple hundred feet from shore. Ernesto didn't see the humor, it required twice the fuel in his big yamaha outboard and twice the time to refuel and supply the cruisers needing his service, and everyone was burning the diesel on the bash.
larryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:28   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

Last time I anchored in this perfect little cove up in Middle harbour I'd only been there a few hours when this local yokel who'd clearly never been on the main harbour came and anchored right on top of me.

I gave him my best dirty look but he just ignored me and went and had his afternoon cocktail or whatever.

I would have loved to ask him to move but he looked so happy with wife and kid I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

So I figured I had 15 tonnes of steel, he had an expensive stinkboat, so I forgot about him, had dinner and went to bed.

We never even touched.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:47   #66

Boat: 73 pearson 35

Admits to doing this in his "younger days"
offending party probably did not realize how much scope you had out.Simple solution is put a marker on your hook.Mine was/will be on new boat is a bleach jug with 100ft of 5/50 coard wrapped around it.not strong enough to trip anckor if someone runs it down or expencive to loose.But lets others know how much scope you have out.Easy to deploy when dropping the hook.Just undo half hitch aroung bottle and let line go when you drop the hook.Tie to handle and let go.
Mark
PS.if he parks on your bottle go give him the newbe.or dumbass award and ask him to move.POLITLY
travler37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:44   #67
CLOD

Boat: none

Seems like there is a lot of anchor rage out there!

Maybe it's that we can not just stand relaxing and miss the stress so we look for new things to rage about.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:35   #68

Boat: Peterson 46

It seems to occur all around the world.
Hud gave a real beaut answer. [on page one]
rusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:41   #69

Boat: Leopard 45, 45 feet, Jet Stream
Send a message via Skype™ to Tim Schaaf

Back when I was on the West Coast, I was anchored at Cat Harbor on Catalina. A large sailboat came and anchored right in front of me, ignoring my stern looks and crossed arms stance on my bow. I got into my dinghy and went over to ask how much rode he had out, which provoked a torrent of abuse. "I have just sailed here from Hawaii, and I have been sailing a lot longer than you, and how dare you imply I am not anchored well; I have out 100 feet!" was his general drift. Since we were in 50 feet of water, that meant he was on 2:1, and sailing from Hawaii was not going to change that. I was stumped, until I noticed that, in addition to him belligerently hanging over the lifelines, was his wife. And, like many wives of overbearing guys, she was looking a bit uneasy.

Ah ha! On a whim, I turned to her and asked HER what the name of their insurance company was. Seed planted, I puttered back to my boat, aware that a huge argument had started on my too-close neighbor. Five minutes later, with the Admiral gesticulating at the Captain, they motored away. This was a good thing, since subsequently a huge sportsfisher rafted to them....I would not have slept a wink.

Lesson learned....when faced by intransigence in anchoring situations, I simply ask the wife about their insurance. Infallible, and priceless!

Cheers,
Tim
Tim Schaaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:53   #70

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I am a transplant to the UK South Coast from Florida (sailing-wise). What you say is true about the Med, but not at all about the European Atlantic coast, in my experience. It is remarkable, but despite seemingly millions of sailboats on the UK South Coast - sailing is a very popular pastime for that maritime nation -- the coat is fairly wild and the anchorages are mostly empty. UK sailors mostly sail from marina to marina, apparently -- there is no competition for good anchoring spots.

That did not prevent one chap from dragging into me in the middle of one stormy night in Mupe Bay and putting a hole in my gelcoat. Three boats in a vast anchorage which could accomodate probably half the Royal Navy, and he picked that precise spot! I put out some fenders and let him hang onto us for the rest of the night, as the holding is poor there, and he was nervous.

In Brittany and Normandy you will hardly see another boat at anchor. I spent most of August cruising North Brittany and Normandy, and at anchor we were all alone everywhere, with the exception of just one place -- and August is the high season when everyone has vacation. Of course, anchoring is somewhat tricky there with a tidal range of up to 50 feet in spots. At St. Vaast last year, a gorgeous spot which attracts lots of cruisers, also in August, we had a vast anchorage just under the old city all to ourselves for most of a week. A wide bay with perfect shelter and excellent holding -- could have accomodated 1000 boats, I reckon. We were all alone!

Go figure!
You are right in part but you have to put it in context. A lot of what used to be favoured anchorages years back were filled with moorings as the demand from more and more joining in grew. Then too the newbies are often nervous of anchoring, madame likes walking ashore and then you see more marina hopping.

Second reason in the English Channel coastline, is that the French side (Normandy and North Brittany) is generally exposed to the prevailing SW winds, plus the tides run very fast and the tide range is huge, 50ft in places around St Malo. Go round the corner into Biscay and South Brittany however and you will find the anchorages in August especially full! The tides here are much gentler and the ranges generally well under 15ft.

I'm going to be a transplant the other way to Florida, the ICW and the Islands and I'm getting concerned at all the moves to prevent anchoring, notably in some city limits like St Augustine. As I understand it they (Florida) tried to ban anchoring but that was thrown out as illegal, so the new tactic is to put down large mooring fields where anchoring was popular and then to have local laws that say no anchoring in or within such a distance from said mooring fields. It all seems so innocuous at present, the charges for visitors in St Augustine are reasonable (cheap by UK standards) at $20/night regardless of size and including shore acces and pumpout. Jump ahead a few years and will it be the same? Will there still be anywhere in Florida to anchor near any town or city?

As for anchoring too close I don't like it, but I have mellowed and try to be more negotiating than confronting but some folks do try my patience! The French used to be really dreadful, but have improved in recent years to being merely not so considerate as others... Probably one reason is so many are charter boats. The main objective is to not anchor downwind of any dodgy candidates and if necessary to move before any situation arises.
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:12   #71

Boat: CS36 Traditional

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
The music would be playing loud before they anchored, it is their choice to drop a pick and stay.
The problem with that technique is that your music extends a lot further than just your immediate vicinity, especially on water. Even if they parked on the other side of the anchorage, they would get to enjoy your music if they want to or not. I hope you are exaggerating...
Old 02-11-2011, 05:15   #72

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Here is a winter project:
Examine this thread, and list the action taken by individual posters, and their location
Next season, anchor right on top of every boat you can, and see if you can identify the CF member by his/her action.
Hint: Zee is the beauty with the Formosa, and the Corona.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:16   #73

Boat: CS36 Traditional

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryb View Post
We got a good chuckle at the prevalent "herd mentality", by sundown, there was ten or more boats all anchored a quarter mile off the beach when it was perfectly safe to anchor a couple hundred feet from shore.
I could also be that the newcomers thought you knew something (such as an uncharted shoal) and felt better following your "lead". I know I will always keep in mind where other boats are positioned when seeking a spot.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:25   #74

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADMPRTR View Post
The problem with that technique is that your music extends a lot further than just your immediate vicinity, especially on water. Even if they parked on the other side of the anchorage, they would get to enjoy your music if they want to or not. I hope you are exaggerating...
No exaggeration at all
If they anchor on the other side of the anchorage, the music drops to a much more relaxed level so as to match my annoyance level and usually the dulcet tones of Harry Belafonte or Dean Martin will play instead of the Heavy Metal as well

I will point out that I am the one who usually anchors as far away from others as possible, usually in the next bay as I get out on the water to get away from it all. I see more than enough people during the week in the city.

Its part of the reason for having a multi, I can anchor where most wont and I can travel further away on a weekend than most can, usually ensuring some form of solitude.

I will also add that my immense dislike of boats anchoring on top of me was caused by a vessel anchoring to close while I was sleeping. Later, when I pointed out that he was on top of my gear and there was a good chance of a storm, he told me do unmentionable things to myself.
Early morning storm comes in, he drags down on me banging up a bow and doing a couple of grands worth of cosmetics, he up anchors and pisses off into the gloom never to be seen again.
All this only a few weeks after first launch.

So please forgive my loud music if you look like anchoring on top of me, but I really dont want you mating with my vessel at 2am.

On the other hand, if you show a modicum of decency and good seamanship by anchoring several hundred feet away, by all means give me a wave, dinghy over and say G'day.
And bring some beer
Old 02-11-2011, 06:29   #75

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
There's a dynamic that goes on in anchorages. I call it the "Meerkat Syndrome".

A new boat comes into the anchorage and begins looking for the "perfect spot". Then the "Meerkats" pop up--all the anchored boat skippers stick their heads out of the companionway hatch to watch the New Guy, and make sure he doesn't anchor TOO CLOSE!!!

I've done it, have you?
Also known as "Whack-A-Mole".

Tags
anchor, anchoring