Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2011, 11:35   #16

Re: Anchoring Jerks

Then there's the opposite problem. You enter an anchorage with only a few boats, spend time selecting the right spot, anchor and the guy 200 ft behind you is coming unglued because you're "too close'!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:35   #17

I see that a lot as "target fixation". Like steering through a harbor trying to avoid a buoy by looking at it: you just get closer and closer to it. Enter an anchorage and see another boat, and it really shapes the way you see things and you're somewhat naturally drawn towards the other vessel.

At some basic primate level it makes sense: if you ran across some guy living in a forest, you can probably assume that he's in the best spot regarding proximity to resources.

Not defending it by any means, but it's not rocket science why someone would go near a boat who seems to have their act together.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:47   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

I think Hud nailed it. I had a guy bump me this summer. Poor fellow was mortified but I didn't think it was that big of a deal, he just miscalculated a bit.

It may be naive of me but when I've thought someone might have anchored over me I've also presumed that if they are there when I'm leaving and it is a problem that they'll be enlisted in helping with the process. One lovely afternoon last year a fellow came in to a bay where we were all stern tied and proceeded to back his chain over us all. He got pretty close to me and apologized and said he hadn't realize how far he backed. Distances can be hard to judge!

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:54   #19

Boat: Leopard 42 - JAMU

swagman - Hvar is a beautiful harbor, and part of the attraction is the 'yacht show'. Some years ago we arrived mid-afternoon, set anchor in the middle with plenty of space, and were relaxing in the cockpit when the harbormaster pulled alongside. "Skipper, he said, can I move your boat?". AARGH - well, if we have to, I thought as I moved to the helm. "No, he said, don't you bother, I'll do it" whereupon he carefully nudged our stern (soft fenders on his bow) and swung us on our chain enough for an incoming maga-yacht to med-moor along the quay. He then nudged us back in place and wished us a good visit. We spent two nights there and remember it as one of our best harbors.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:19   #20

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
The first few times that sort of thing happened to us, I got uptight and angry about it. But nothing really bad happened, so the only outcome was that I was uptight and angry. I came to the conclusion that it's better not to worry about it and deal with whatever (if anything) happens. And nothing bad ever did happen.

Everyone has their own concept of comfortable "anchoring space", and you can't really do anything about it. Worrying about it just destroys your pleasure in being in a beautiful spot, on your boat with your loved one.

p.s. if you want to experience up-close-and-personal anchoring, head down to the French islands in the Caribbean! We got to know a really interesting french solo trans-Atlantic sailor that way.
Hud the problem that I see with this tactic is that I have this theory that it isn't the first mistake that gets you but the second or third. Eg They anchor to close or over your anchor. Wind kicks up and they drag dislodging your anchor. Then you have a problem. If I had a smile as big as yours I could get away with asking nicely. I try and don't always succeed. I find it better to ask someone to move before there is a second mistake to get you -- but do it nicely.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:32   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I have a solution to this, and I discovered it quite by accident! When my daughter and grandsons go cruising with us they bring a diaper pail. Having two in diapers the pail gets quite ripe after a few days, so much so that we started leaving it on the deck. Well I just happened to notice that cruisers by and large would not anchor downwind of the pail- so why don't I just put the dingy on the tripline to the anchor and fill it with dirty diapers! Works like a charm, and if someone is smell insensitive and parks around us anyway, well we can always fill up their cockpit as we are leaving.
And you thought kids were not good for cruising....
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 13:20   #22

Boat: Pearson 34-II

We have always sought non traditional anchorages away from the crowds unless there were no other option than to anchor with the herd. You might be surprised with a little preliminary chart study that there are many very secure anchorages within a specific area that are not listed as such in the guidebooks that are better than the designated anchorages. Most cruisers prefer the company of others and the false sense of secuirty that comes with anchoring among /amidst other boats. Therefore, the rudeness of some to drop a hook too close to you or ,in a worst case scenario, over your hook can be avoided. You see it frequently among the charter crowds, ill-kept boats and those with little or no experience. So, if you want to avoid all those negative feelings, create your own anchorage based upon wind protection, currents, bottom characterisitcs and avoid those areas frequented by the herd. You just might find a whole new world of anchoring. Good luck and good sailing, Ron
rognvald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 13:42   #23

Boat: contessa 32

OK: First protocol is to anchor BEHIND stern of boat already there, but if a crowd is expected a trip line with a red float and "Danger" painted on it will keep all but the French at bay. To keep some space astern ,try trailing your dingy on a long painter; now you have room astern if you need to let out scope for a wind increase. Just don't be greedy in staking out your real estate. I rarely use this tactic since I much prefer to anchor away from the crowd as this allows a solar shower on deck or a quick pee over the side.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 14:05   #24
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Hud the problem that I see with this tactic is that I have this theory that it isn't the first mistake that gets you but the second or third. Eg They anchor to close or over your anchor. Wind kicks up and they drag dislodging your anchor. Then you have a problem. If I had a smile as big as yours I could get away with asking nicely. I try and don't always succeed. I find it better to ask someone to move before there is a second mistake to get you -- but do it nicely.
Hey, Charlie. I get your point, but all I can say is that in all the anchoring we did when sailing up and down the chain numerous times, once I decided to take a more "Zen" attitude toward other anchorers, nothing bad or even close to bad ever happened, and I enjoyed a much more pleasant state of mind.

Of course, I made it a point never to anchor downwind of charter boats!
Old 01-11-2011, 14:09   #25

Boat: Cape Dory 28 (Sold Nov 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohr View Post
... Just don't be greedy in staking out your real estate ... I much prefer to anchor away from the crowd as this allows a solar shower on deck or a quick pee over the side.
I seem to recall that these activities, when accomplished in close proximity to anchoring offenders with sensitive natures, have the desired effect.
Old 01-11-2011, 14:09   #26

Boat: CS36 Traditional

I had a similar experience where I was anchored with adequate scope and swing room and someone came up and anchored too close. I didn't mention it but thought it was not the right place. Anyway, after a few hours we saw the boats getting closer (10-15 ft) as they swung and the other skipper said I was dragging. I do not believe that was the case but it was due to me having chain+rope with a 7:1 ratio whereas he just had chain with a shorter scope.

We stared at each other (not quite a glare) and finally he decided to move his boat. I felt that it wasn't my job to move as I was there first. The other skipper either realized this or came to the conclusion I was intransient enough that he needed to move.

However, it didn't improve our relations having an "almost" dispute. The next day, as we were tacking against the wind next to a shoal area, he motored right in front of us forcing us to adjust our course (I'd expected better of a sail boat). The fun thing is this person is also at our marina...

I came to the conclusion that one who is inconsiderate in the anchorage is also inconsiderate on the water.
Old 01-11-2011, 14:13   #27

Boat: CS36 Traditional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohr View Post
...try trailing your dingy on a long painter; now you have room astern if you need to let out scope for a wind increase.
As long as someone doesn't try to make a short cut between your dinghy and transom.
Old 01-11-2011, 14:15   #28

Boat: San Juan 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by way-happy View Post
They had their boat name covered up with a fender, so I couldn't read the name to hail them on the radio.
Considering their behavior they probably weren't listening anyway, but you can always hail by description.

"White approximate 35 foot sailing vessel recently anchored in SE corner of Budd Inlet very very close to sailing vessel Way Happy, this is is Way Happy"
Arch Stanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 14:37   #29
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagman View Post

Trouble was he'd also hauled up a second anchor and not noticed he now had two on his bow.

So as he motored towards us, we were probably the first to notice he was unwittingly towing the second yacht along behind him. It obviously had no one on board.
They weren't having an anchoring problem, they were just looking for new boat!

The rest of the story was impressive also.
Old 01-11-2011, 14:48   #30

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

I very courteously call them on VHF and say that "I have 200 ft of chain out and if the wind or current shifts, I will be on top of you." They usually move, if not, I usually move.

Tags
anchor, anchoring