Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 20:05   #16

Boat: PT-11
Re: Anchoring etiquette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post

I find myself wishing we had a code flag for indicating a temporary set. Maybe we need a new double-flag signal, like Lima Hotel, for Lunch Hook?
Why? Its not like people are gonna do circles waiting for you to finish your lunch.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 20:17   #17
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

I pulled into a popular anchorage, the last of five in a group of boats. We had just bent the rudder shaft 30º and it took all the muscle power my companion could muster to force the boat into the anchorage. (Fortunately after the incident we only had to make two turns, both to port, or we would have been rough shallow water, near VERY shallow water, with no steering.)

We did the best we could but by the time we got the hook down we really were too close to another boat. I was on the bow and called back to my friend, "We really are too close to that boat. The owner (I presume) of the other boat said, "Yes, you are."

"We have no steering," I answered.

She pulled up and moved, and she didn't complain. QUITE sure she didn't want us to attempt it!
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 20:56   #18

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

I don't believe that there are any universally accepted rules or etiquette for anchoring. On the water, just as everywhere else in life, some people are polite, some are less polite, some are rude and some are just plain ********.

I will note, however, that it seems to be almost a universal condition that if you are the sole boat in a bay 2 miles wide, with space for 500 boats, the second boat will come into the bay and, with 2 miles of bay to choose from, invariably will drop their anchor 100' from you.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 20:59   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

I've had a few hard lessons that it is just not worth the stress and risk of asserting a right to an anchoring spot or mooring.

Watched others nearly come to blows, call the police, call rangers, ruin their day - all for the same "reason". Great for spectating, miserable to be in the middle.

Much easier to go somewhere else, and for me that somewhere else has always turned out to be a much better spot!
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 21:06   #20

I tend to stay away from the crowded spots. I really don't have anchor dropping manors but I set alarms to let me know if im draggin and tell anybody who happens to be close that my whisky locker is open and try and make friends if I don't already know them so it evens out in the end.
Blue Agave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 21:38   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
I don't believe that there are any universally accepted rules or etiquette for anchoring. On the water, just as everywhere else in life, some people are polite, some are less polite, some are rude and some are just plain ********.
Under Admiralty Law there are rules:

Quote:
Decision No. 124-5861 (1956) in U.S. Admiralty case law states: “A vessel shall be found at fault if it . . . anchors so close to another vessel as to foul her when swinging . . . (and/or) fails to shift anchorage when dragging dangerously close to another anchored vessel.
Furthermore, the vessel that anchored first SHALL warn the one who anchored last that the berth chosen will foul the former’s berth.

REAL MOUNTIE's Adventures * Les Aventures du REAL MOUNTIE: ANCHORING RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES...
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 22:25   #22

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Under Admiralty Law there are rules:
Sorry, Jack, I didn't explain myself too well. I agree that if you drop your pick such that your swing circle can coincide with an already anchored boat, you are at fault in the event they contact. Likewise dragging.

When I said "there are no rules" I should have said that there are no "rules of thumb", because the topic is etiquette and that, to me, covers politeness, and convention, not the application of the law.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 23:36   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 37' Oyster Heritage

I'v noticed that the Quebecois seem to like "snuggling up" in anchorages.
sestina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 02:36   #24
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
Sorry, Jack, I didn't explain myself too well. I agree that if you drop your pick such that your swing circle can coincide with an already anchored boat, you are at fault in the event they contact. Likewise dragging.

When I said "there are no rules" I should have said that there are no "rules of thumb", because the topic is etiquette and that, to me, covers politeness, and convention, not the application of the law.

The question really was when it's rude to set your hook, if you think another boat has been previously checking out a spot that would put you too close to it if it used the spot it had in mind. That involves guesswork and sometimes a crystal ball. the formal rule only involves where the two boats end up, the second one having a responsibility to stay out of the way of the first one. Of course if the first one drags ...
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 02:44   #25
Armchair Bucketeer

My take is that the spot is free as soon as someone vacates it, if not much free space (and other boats heading in) then would be wise not to spend time circling around and pondering - the price of that might well be an anchor reset or move later.......kinda like finding a parking space, perfectly welcome to drive around looking for the best spot - just don't be surprised when no one waits for you to decide!

In the case of OP I would have waved in a friendly acknowledgement - at that point if you can see smoke coming from ears will know what the score is. Either move or deploy the gallic shrug!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 02:59   #26
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sestina View Post
I'v noticed that the Quebecois seem to like "snuggling up" in anchorages.
You wanna see how close their relatives in the South of France do it!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:06   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Anchoring is a spectator sport
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	431.6 KB
ID:	63982  
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:53   #28
CLOD

Boat: none

I thought it was a given that no matter what, the next boat in the anchorage always drops their anchor too close to you.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:27   #29
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

and they usually befoul your anchor and chain.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 05:28   #30

old, fat and ugly skinny-dipping works every time. You can hear the "Eew!" across the water, shortly followed by the clink of chain rolling in.
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchoring