Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2013, 06:07   #31

Re: Anchoring etiquette

I don't see how he could expect you to just wait while he took his time inspecting the entire anchorage. If he was only interested in that spot after he saw that it worked for you ... oh well.

How does etiquette come in if you have a differing opinion (from the other nearby boats) on how much scope is needed?
deepblueln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:42   #32

Boat: Seawind 1160
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamicatana
old, fat and ugly skinny-dipping works every time. You can hear the "Eew!" across the water, shortly followed by the clink of chain rolling in.
I agree. Nude up and they will noodle away. I use it and it has been used on me.
away again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:43   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepblueln View Post

How does etiquette come in if you have a differing opinion (from the other nearby boats) on how much scope is needed?
Any boat that anchors subsequently must do so safely avoiding other boats already anchored.

If an existing boat has an unreasonable scope its usually best to anchor elsewhere, but approaching the skipper in a freindly manner a compromise can be reached.

If you use the same scope as him you won't collide (assuming similar vessels and rode) even if anchored reasonably close.
An oversized anchor will enable you to anchor safely on a short scope (in light/moderate winds) when necessary. Even in strong winds it gives confidence that the"opposition" will drag first. Then you can let whatever scope you like out

Using two anchors, or tying up a shore line can sometimes usefully be used to stay out of the way of an inappropriately anchored boat.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:44   #34

I raced a boat into Allen's Cay in the Exumas one evening, with us both heading for the same spot (the northern anchorage). Once he pulled a couple of boat lengths ahead, I had to concede he had won it. I could have still dropped near him, but it seemed rude to do that when we were the only two boats there.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:54   #35
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

if someone who has been in the anchorage a week or so has 150 ft of chain on the bottom in 10 ft depth and set from a specific direction, there must be a reason, especially if that soul has been cruising that area for some years.....listen to the ones you do not trust because of appearances....lol--they HAVE been there done that and have rescued others who refuse to listen to their wisdom.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:57   #36

Boat: a sailing boat

Ye. We keep on repeating this BUT how much is this the case in say French, Spanish or Vanuatu maritime law?

The rule is only valid in the US (and wherever the local law coincides(UK?)) but believe me very few skippers know the etiquette and not all that know will respect it either.

Yell at that moron then take action to avoid getting scratched.

On the second thought I would skip the yelling part because it is a waste of time with a guy who does not know or does not want.

The French? ;-))))) Yes, I met them too ... ;-))))) Very social nation ... ;-)))))

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:02   #37

the only universal rule is the golden rule....every single alleged religion in planet uses it, including druids....lol.....is a good rule to follow as no one is left out.

following that will also keep folks out of court...suppozedly....greed and impatience are not good attributes.

i usually choose less crowded anchorages, then
move along when too many folks appear...
Old 12-07-2013, 07:18   #38

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
BTW - radar is great for determining distance to the other boats in an anchorage. I have used it at night, in fog and in daylight.
My wife bought me a laser rangefinder for Christmas two years ago. It is a great mind easer in a crowded anchorage.
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:37   #39
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
Why? Its not like people are gonna do circles waiting for you to finish your lunch.
Think about it. You can be a lot more patient with someone who is too close if they're only there for lunch. If they plan to spend the night, you're going to need swing room for that 0300h. tide shift.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:13   #40
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

I do tend to anchor with other boats, because I cruise with other boats.

Many times we have awakened in the morning to find all the boats pointing in a different direction due to significant wind shift. I try to anchor on the edge of the group. Getting close to my neighbors/friends is what the dinghy is for.

Often we raft up, but I prefer to leave the raft up at the end of the evening, both for general privacy and because I don't enjoy multiple anchor lines deciding to occupy the same space at the same time.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:28   #41
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: Philip Rhodes Custom

Boat pulls into a crowded anchorage and heads for the prime spot.

You hear the rattle of the anchor chain and heads pop all over to see where the hell he can squeeze in.

When the rattle subsides an adjacent boat captain shouts "You're a little close aren't you!".

The new arrival waves cheerfully and says "Oh its all right, I'm steel."
Andina Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:35   #42

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Fortunately, we were all "lunch hooking" and every boat had crew on board to push off an errant boat (some boats were still looking for their drop spot):

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:41   #43

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Here I'm taking in the snubber in preparation of pulling in the anchor. The patrol/security boat claimed I was "illegally anchored" as in too close to the anchored ships of the reserve fleet (in the background).

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:54   #44

the only prime spot was taken by first boat in anchorage--the rest are just trying to get as close to that spot as possible......

and they can be so much fun to watch in the process.....
Old 12-07-2013, 09:03   #45
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
the only prime spot was taken by first boat in anchorage--the rest are just trying to get as close to that spot as possible......
Exactly. And we all know that the prime spot is precisely where the anchor symbol is listed on the chart.

Many of these "etiquette" problems could be resolved by simple radio communication--but I'm amazed at how many cruisers steam into an anchorage without the VHF switched on. You want to know how much chain I have out? Ask. Same with whether you want to know whether I'm spending the night. Similarly, if you're about to drop your hook directly atop mine, it would be nice if I could reach you on VHF 16. Might save us both having to re-anchor.

Tags
anchoring