Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2012, 19:40   #76

Boat: Seafarer Tripp 30
So what do you guys do when you go to shore? Is there an anchor alarm that works remotely? Do you just wait a few hours to make sure it's set and then go? Just curious because if I have to singlehand when I get my boat I would like to be able to leave it once in a while.
david7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 20:03   #77
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Anchoring and dragging

I don't have a problem if you have all the electronics in the world it doesn't substitute for good anchoring tackle and the ability to use it[/QUOTE]

SMJ, Darn - and I was in a particularly argumentative mood this morning and now you have gone and made me agree with you! Nothing is a substitute for good anchoring practice.[/QUOTE]

The first quote is frustrating to read, because no one here has ever suggested that any kind of electronics can substitute for either equipment or skill.

But why not add a third thing, an anchor alarm? What's so terrible or shameful about that?

I will note that although I have put an anchor alarm where it would wake me -- it never has. It may well some day, however. I would rather be awakened by an electronic tool than go banging into another boat, or run aground, over pride.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 20:09   #78
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
raku--i usually SHORT hand my boat and stay in the anchorage sola when i fix my boat between passages. i also have a LOT of experience in other boats. since age 7 to now---LOTS AND LOTS of experience. but always learning. many different kinds of seafloors and many different places.

longest anchor watch i did was 5 days--i did sleep, but i had to sleep with an eye pen and curb feelers out--i was on top of a shallow place which turned out to be a huge rock. yes i moved. i usually stand an hour anchor watch on arrival then do my thing if i feel comfortable in the place and with the set of the anchor.

Sorry, I misunderstood you. By "anchor watch," I thought you meant all night. I hope most people keep a very close eye on where their anchor is for the first hour. If I were by myself in rough water or expecting a wind shift, I would be getting up periodically all night. You're typical of all the good sailors I know -- they never feel they know everything and have nothing left to learn.

I have learned things (probably sooner) from living aboard -- shifts in the wind wake me up. I've learned to sleep comfortably not only in clothes but in shoes. There's still a whole lot left to learn and I look forward to packing as much of it in as I can in the years left to me.
Old 01-07-2012, 20:14   #79
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Yeah, I've had charterers anchored right next to me in a crowded anchorage, put fenders out "just in case" and head to shore! Many people have no idea of the etiiquette involved. If I anchor in acrowded anchorage and the wind shifts, I feel it's my responsibility to re-anchor if I'm intruding on a boat that was there when I got there. I also expect the same from a boat that came after me.

I anchored my boat once in a shared anchorage too close to the boat to our starboard. I called out to my friend at the helm that we were too close. The woman on the boat nodded her agreement, and then I explained to her -- "We have no steering!" You've never seen someone turn on her windlass so fast and pick another spot as that woman did. I was very grateful. Our rudder was bent up against the bottom of the stern and could only be turned with tremendous effort. Great precision was out of the question.
Old 01-07-2012, 20:47   #80

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
The accepted practice is called "radar." Coming into a dark anchorage with your monster spotlight blazing pretty much convinces those who have already settled in for the night that you don't have a clue. (Or perhaps that you're a powerboater in sheep's clothing.)
Ya...You'll probably believe this until at 2am. someone whacks your shiny bleach bottle in that dark anchorage.
I like a bow person to respectfully shine a light forward a 100 yard or so when coming into an anchorage I have not been into. I can watch my depth while someone keeps an eye forward.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 21:28   #81

never assume the weather forecast is right. it wont include night chubascos etc. if ashore i always keep an eye toward water/wind conditions. if changes occur i've been known to abandon dinner and return. otherwise, if away from the area... you just have to roll the dice.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 22:07   #82

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Tell me. Why shouldn't I use all reasonable means to navigate around boats, particularlyy in limited visibility? If you're awakened by lights, that's the way it is, and fortunate for you.

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 22:16   #83

Boat: Lagoon 440

Lights, radar, a lookout and commonsense all these are tools to be used, lights as far as spotlights should be flashed on the hull to show their position to the helmsman then turned off, just not focused on someone trying to sleeps porthole.

Keeping it on the 'hull only' stops you from blinding the poor bugger who is already anchored, used in that manner i would be happy to greet you simply because you are taking care.

One of the many mis-understood parts of anchoring is boats with different windage dance to the wind differently, we get idiots dropping on us and anchoring beside us not understanding that different rode/scope lengths amount to different radius's when the wind acts.
Old 01-07-2012, 22:19   #84

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Im with Markpierce on this one I will use lights as much as I need to to safely anchor without hitting anyone and makeing sure I anchor MY vessel safely, and with regard of others safety!! I will apolagize in the Morning for my late arrival ! just my 2 cents
Old 01-07-2012, 22:30   #85

Boat: C&C 35 MKIII
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail Send a message via Skype™ to chef2sail

Quote:
Im with Markpierce on this one I will use lights as much as I need to to safely anchor without hitting anyone and makeing sure I anchor MY vessel safely, and with regard of others safety!! I will apolagize in the Morning for my late arrival ! just my 2 cents -bobconnie
Totally agree,,,thats safety for by boat and the oats around me. Common snese says dont fixate spotlot on another boats portholes or cockpit. We use appropriate anchoring techniques and the best equuipment we can.

Ineveitabley sometime in the course of anchoring if you do it freuqently you will drag or the anchor will pull up turn and reset. So why not set an anchor alarm.

Instead of using our chartplotter as an anchor alarm we use an app called "Drag Queen" on our droid phone.I say use all means possible to anchor safely, securely and to check that you are where you put yopur hook down.

Dave
chef2sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 00:25   #86
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames
I don't have a problem if you have all the electronics in the world it doesn't substitute for good anchoring tackle and the ability to use it
SMJ, Darn - and I was in a particularly argumentative mood this morning and now you have gone and made me agree with you! Nothing is a substitute for good anchoring practice.[/QUOTE]

The first quote is frustrating to read, because no one here has ever suggested that any kind of electronics can substitute for either equipment or skill.

But why not add a third thing, an anchor alarm? What's so terrible or shameful about that?

I will note that although I have put an anchor alarm where it would wake me -- it never has. It may well some day, however. I would rather be awakened by an electronic tool than go banging into another boat, or run aground, over pride.[/QUOTE]

Maybe you didn't read my posts correctly. I had a problem with the statement "radar, chart plotter and anchor alarms ARE minimal requirements for cruising". I personally don't find those to be requirements for cruising but a persons choice. If future cruisers think they have to have all these electronic devices before they to cruising many wouldn't. I have nothing against people that use these electronics as we also use chartploters
And radar but they should not be In place of common sense or take the place of your ground tackle or the skills to properly use it.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:50   #87
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
SMJ, Darn - and I was in a particularly argumentative mood this morning and now you have gone and made me agree with you! Nothing is a substitute for good anchoring practice.

I will note that although I have put an anchor alarm where it would wake me -- it never has. It may well some day, however. I would rather be awakened by an electronic tool than go banging into another boat, or run aground, over pride.[/QUOTE]

Maybe you didn't read my posts correctly. I had a problem with the statement "radar, chart plotter and anchor alarms ARE minimal requirements for cruising". I personally don't find those to be requirements for cruising but a persons choice. If future cruisers think they have to have all these electronic devices before they to cruising many wouldn't. I have nothing against people that use these electronics as we also use chartploters
And radar but they should not be In place of common sense or take the place of your ground tackle or the skills to properly use it.[/QUOTE]

Eh. I have read them all, but I try to cut other posters slack as few of us here are professional writers.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:02   #88
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

anchor alarms work great when you drop anchor and do not stand a proper anchor watch, run away from boat and boat drags into rocks. seen this happen. the alarm does not keep the boat off rocks or beach....nor does radar
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:19   #89

I've installed one of the GSM car alarms that are widely available on Ebay for peace of mind ashore (admittedly, I'm never completely at peace when the boat is at anchor and I'm not aboard). These are 12v and very low power draw (since it's meant for a parked car). It will text my cell phone (assuming cell phone service) if any of the following occurs:

The boat goes out of the "geofence" GPS area. I set this tight enough that even a major wind/current shift triggers it.

A motion alarm in the cabin is activated

The battery voltage goes low (engine start or other big drain)

High water alarm

These alarms take any GSM chip (in the US make sure your unit works on US GSM frequencies). I use T-mobile for the chip which is $0.10 per text and no monthly charge (unused purchased minutes expire eventually and you have to buy more).

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:45   #90
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
anchor alarms work great when you drop anchor and do not stand a proper anchor watch, run away from boat and boat drags into rocks. seen this happen. the alarm does not keep the boat off rocks or beach....nor does radar

Tell me -- have you actually used one? Only sarcastically has it been suggested that it's any good for when you're not on the boat.

What it's good for is at 2AM if something has changed and you're dragging. I would rather swallow my pride, admit that I did not anchor perfects (apparently many people here have always anchored perfectly from the time they were 8 years old, and have never, ever, once, unexpectedly dragged. I applaud them!)

Seriously -- have you ever used one? If you haven't, then perhaps you shouldn't be telling people what's wrong with them. Just a thought.

Tags
anchor, anchoring