Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2013, 11:13   #16
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 19,355
Re: Anchorages near Miami - Deep draft

The wierd thing is ...I just looked at Google Earth to see if I can see an obvious shallow spot off the Marine Stadium entrance... and I just dont see it. There's a light spot off the marina entrance just south (west?) of the stadium...
__________________

__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:20   #17
Registered User
 
Bluewaters2812's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cruising
Boat: Not a Beneteau!
Posts: 911
Images: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812
Re: Anchorages near Miami - Deep draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
The wierd thing is ...I just looked at Google Earth to see if I can see an obvious shallow spot off the Marine Stadium entrance... and I just dont see it. There's a light spot off the marina entrance just south (west?) of the stadium...
I have Google Earth up, where exactly is the Marine Stadium?
__________________

__________________
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:30   #18
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 19,355
Re: Anchorages near Miami - Deep draft

I dont have it up now but I think it is right next to the Rickenbacker Causway bridge. A big open rectangular spot.... There's a little island right off the entrance...
__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:30   #19
Registered User
 
s/v Moondancer's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Fiji but heading for Alaska
Boat: Tayana 55
Posts: 1,225
Re: Anchorages near Miami - Deep draft

We cruise on a boat that draws 7-9 with a 76 ft mast but live in Miami and we have been in and out Biscayne Channel a dozen times in the big boat and 100 times in boats up to 6 ft draft.

Biscayne Channel has a couple of shallow areas and we have bounced our keel at least twice. It is untenable in any kind of seas perhaps over 4 ft. There is a shallow area between markers 4 and 6 and we then turn to starboard just before 8 and aim just to the south of the tip of Key Biscayne once inside the Key the deep water is on the land side. At low tide you might bounce the keel so at low tide we go into the Bay all the way through the Biscayne Channel and then approach "No Name" from the inside of the Bay. If you get 3 ft out of the Channel you are aground especially near the houses in Stiltsville, be very careful between markers 16, 18, and 20 they curve to port and at night it is very easy to be seduced by the light on 20 and go aground.

The best anchorage is outside No Name about 200 yds from the entrance in about 12 ft...no mosquitoes but you have to be out of the migration route of the local power boats.

We always renew our SeaTow, their boats are closer than Boat US, before we enter the Bay and if possible time things to half tide rising. You can get into Dinner Key Marina through their main channel but we ran aground before we got to the outer docks...again half tide rising.

We run it at night but you have to pay attention and I have seen up to three boats aground at night. If you want to play safe go into the Bay and then approach NO Name from the inside.
__________________
Phil

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:31   #20
Marine Service Provider
 
Scott Berg's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Aboard
Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch
Posts: 959
Check the directions in on Active Captain
We draw 7 and never saw less than 8.5
__________________
Scott Berg
WAĜLSS
SV CHARDONNAY
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:45   #21
Registered User
 
Bluewaters2812's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cruising
Boat: Not a Beneteau!
Posts: 911
Images: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812
Re: Anchorages near Miami - Deep draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
We cruise on a boat that draws 7-9 with a 76 ft mast but live in Miami and we have been in and out Biscayne Channel a dozen times in the big boat and 100 times in boats up to 6 ft draft.

Biscayne Channel has a couple of shallow areas and we have bounced our keel at least twice. It is untenable in any kind of seas perhaps over 4 ft. There is a shallow area between markers 4 and 6 and we then turn to starboard just before 8 and aim just to the south of the tip of Key Biscayne once inside the Key the deep water is on the land side. At low tide you might bounce the keel so at low tide we go into the Bay all the way through the Biscayne Channel and then approach "No Name" from the inside of the Bay. If you get 3 ft out of the Channel you are aground especially near the houses in Stiltsville, be very careful between markers 16, 18, and 20 they curve to port and at night it is very easy to be seduced by the light on 20 and go aground.

The best anchorage is outside No Name about 200 yds from the entrance in about 12 ft...no mosquitoes but you have to be out of the migration route of the local power boats.

We always renew our SeaTow, their boats are closer than Boat US, before we enter the Bay and if possible time things to half tide rising. You can get into Dinner Key Marina through their main channel but we ran aground before we got to the outer docks...again half tide rising.

We run it at night but you have to pay attention and I have seen up to three boats aground at night. If you want to play safe go into the Bay and then approach NO Name from the inside.
Thanks for that detail. I must admit, I would be much happier having someone on board with local knowledge lol.
__________________
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:46   #22
Registered User
 
Bluewaters2812's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cruising
Boat: Not a Beneteau!
Posts: 911
Images: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812
Re: Anchorages near Miami - Deep draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Berg View Post
Check the directions in on Active Captain
We draw 7 and never saw less than 8.5
Pretty similar to us then. Thanks for that. Maybe I should befriend a local with local knowledge lol. Have them on board for the entry and offer them a beer or two.
__________________
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:52   #23
Senior Cruiser
 
Vasco's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Toronto
Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"
Posts: 7,137
Re: Anchorages near Miami - Deep draft

You can anchor off Fisher Island (off the marina entrance). The waters are sheltered but it can really blow off the ocean in there.

Lots of big sailboats anchor off Nixons which is on Key Biscayne just south of the K.B.Y.C. A bit sloppy when it blows from the west but that only happens before a front. Well sheltered from anything else.
__________________
Rick I
Toronto in summer, Bahamas in winter.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/beneteau393/
Vasco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:56   #24
Registered User
 
Bluewaters2812's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cruising
Boat: Not a Beneteau!
Posts: 911
Images: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812
Re: Anchorages near Miami - Deep draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
You can anchor off Fisher Island (off the marina entrance). The waters are sheltered but it can really blow off the ocean in there.

Lots of big sailboats anchor off Nixons which is on Key Biscayne just south of the K.B.Y.C. A bit sloppy when it blows from the west but that only happens before a front. Well sheltered from anything else.
Thanks for that ... its what I had read re Fisher Island. I believe the approach channel is quite deep?
__________________
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:08   #25
Senior Cruiser
 
Vasco's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Toronto
Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"
Posts: 7,137
Re: Anchorages near Miami - Deep draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaters2812 View Post
Thanks for that ... its what I had read re Fisher Island. I believe the approach channel is quite deep?
Yes, great big yachts go into that marina basin.
__________________
Rick I
Toronto in summer, Bahamas in winter.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/beneteau393/
Vasco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 04:42   #26
Registered User
 
Bluewaters2812's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cruising
Boat: Not a Beneteau!
Posts: 911
Images: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812
Re: Anchorages near Miami - Deep draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Be very careful going into Marine Stadium. Stayed there twice with 6'5" draft. Coming out the second time ran hard aground.. couldnt get off and had to be dragged off by Sea Tow.... using the Halyard to heel the boat and bounce it across the hard sand shoal. The wierd thing is I felt I was taking the same course all 4 times in/out. I dont know exactly where that sand hump is... but it's out there....
To pick someone up maybe off Dinner Key or even over at Bill Baggs Park (no name) for free anchorages?
Biscayne Channel should be fine for you.
Thanks Cheechako, yeah, I reckon No Name seems the most probable safe bet for us. Never been into Miami sailing (only by air a few times). Something tells me there is a small difference ... no?
__________________
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 04:42   #27
Registered User
 
Bluewaters2812's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cruising
Boat: Not a Beneteau!
Posts: 911
Images: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812
Re: Anchorages near Miami - Deep draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Yes, great big yachts go into that marina basin.
Thanks.
__________________
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 11:16   #28
Registered User
 
rognvald's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Summer: In the land of Wooly Mammoths
Boat: Pearson 34-II
Posts: 2,252
Images: 2
Re: Anchorages near Miami - Deep draft

Bluewaters,
We used Miami as our base for ten years and Moondancer's advice is the best. You have plenty of water closer to shore(it shallows as you go south towards the shoals) and the holding is great in sand and gravel. There is some current on the turn of the tide, but one hook is fine. We used that anchorage as a staging point whenever we crossed over to Bimini/Cat. You can dinghy into No Name and there is a great Cuban restaurant in the basin. You could also have a vehicle brought to the site. It is very well protected and we sat through some blowy nights there with no problems. Good luck and good sailing.
__________________
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."
Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathrustra
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 11:35   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Cruz
Boat: Boatless Again
Posts: 4,321
Re: Anchorages near Miami - Deep draft

I looked hard at the Miami/Biscane area with an 8 ft draft, and ended up at the city docks in Fort Lauderdale. Cruising Florida is tough in an ocean-going boat.
__________________
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 11:58   #30
Registered User
 
Bluewaters2812's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cruising
Boat: Not a Beneteau!
Posts: 911
Images: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812
Re: Anchorages near Miami - Deep draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I looked hard at the Miami/Biscane area with an 8 ft draft, and ended up at the city docks in Fort Lauderdale. Cruising Florida is tough in an ocean-going boat.
Tks, pretty much the same draft as us so maybe we will also need to look beyond Biscayne. I reckon it's only a couple of hours further making way from Turks and Caicos. Otherwise maybe 3-4 hours if we first try Miami and find it too shallow for our draft. Perhaps just prudent to make way directly for Fort Lauderdale? We can always hire a car to pick up our daughter from Miami Airport.
__________________

__________________
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
anchor, anchorages, draft, miami

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Want to Rent: Charter Miami & Upper Keys 7 days /6 nights GearGuy Classifieds Archive 2 21-03-2013 06:52
Cruising the Tropics - How Much Draft is Too much ? Morrissey General Sailing Forum 18 11-01-2012 23:41



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:11.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.