Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2013, 12:38   #16

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Anchor outs not welcome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post

The guy I dealt with identified himself as the owner. Needless to say I'll find some where else to fill my tanks. Maybe $300-$400 worth of diesel is not worth his time, so be it. I don't know why business owners act like this, do they cruisers don't talk to other cruisers? This was the first time I had ever been treated so rudely by a Marina. I might not have been so offended if he did not go off on me for not buying a service he didn't offer (dockage for my Cat).

Post your review in ActiveCaptain, too.

-Chris
Old 20-12-2013, 13:26   #17

Boat: Catalina 30

I'd be interested to hear if the owner of the marina was a power boater or a sailor? Talking to power boater friends of mine apparently the "stereotype" of sailors is that we think "since the wind is free that everything else should be too". Obviously this isn't the case with most of us especially in Captain Bill's case.

It amazes me how much disdain some sail boaters and power boaters can have towards each other. I mean obviously sailors are smarter and more talented but that doesn't mean they should be so offended.

Seriously though I am glad you put the word out. Maybe he was having a bad day, maybe he's just an A-hole. But it's good you made people aware.
Old 20-12-2013, 13:36   #18

Quote:
I had an interesting first today. I went into the Melbourne Harbor Marina in Melbourne Florida for a pumpout, some water, and to dump some trash. I visit Melbourne every year for the month of December visiting relatives before continuing on to the Bahamas. In the past I have used the MHM because I have found it to be a friendly and easy place to and get a pumpout and water. In the past what I have done get two pumpout and two water fills during December while anchored out. Melbourne does not have a lot of marina options for Catamarans. Melbourne Harbor Marina cannot accomodate a Catamaran at all. When I'm ready to leave I have always filled my fuel tanks at MHM before heading south and that visit was well over $$300. In the past the pumpout was $10 and water and trash was free. The first time I was in this year the pumpout was still $10 and water and trash was $5. This was perfectly reasonable in my opinion. Water and trash service are not free to the marina and a reasonable charge is not a problem. Today when I went in there The pumpout was still $10 but he asked how much water I needed and I said 80 gallons. Which he said would be $20. I asked him why it was up from $5 only 10 days ago. He said it is what it is. When I pointed out I paid less than this for RO water in the bahamas he went off on a rant about "anchor outs" wanting all these services for free. I asked for absolutely nothing for free. In the Bahamas it costs quite a bit to make RO water from sea water so $.25 a gallon is reasonable. This guy pays .00433 cents a gallon for city water so 80 gallons cost him 32 cents. Five dollars for 32 cents worth of water is a pretty good profit in my opinion even if one includes the capital cost of running a pipe to the end of the dock. He pays a flat rate for a trash dumpster. A bag of trash does not change what he pays so anything he charges is money in his pocket. The city requires that he have the dumpster even if it's not used.

Before I retired there was an old business rule about never being rude or nasty to a small customer because you never knew when they might become a big customer or how many big customers he had as friends. Today I was a small customer. The guy I dealt with identified himself as the owner. Needless to say I'll find some where else to fill my tanks. Maybe $300-$400 worth of diesel is not worth his time, so be it. I don't know why business owners act like this, do they cruisers don't talk to other cruisers? This was the first time I had ever been treated so rudely by a Marina. I might not have been so offended if he did not go off on me for not buying a service he didn't offer (dockage for my Cat).
Reminds me of Bundaberg Port Marina. We cleared in there, were anchored near the quarantine bouy. One day we were walking up to the coin-operated laundry, when the marina manager accosted us, told us that not being customers we should not use their laundry, and that we weren't allowed to anchor where we were, and he had notified the Port Authority.

They charge $11 for water, which is available at their fuel dock. It's $11 for water regardless of how much fuel you might buy.

One potential customer lost to them.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 13:39   #19

I used to work in customer service. I lost the ability to be nice to people regardless of the size of their asshat. I dont work in customer service anymore and appreciate the people who do and do it well. I really dislike those that try and cant.
Unkle Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 13:47   #20

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
Head a little north to the marina by Dragon Point. Telemar Bay Charles $20 or $25 for the pump out but friendly and the water and trash would be free. Call them first to make sure the prices haven't changed.

The SSCA Gams are held north of MHM near Eue Gallie Great little community.

MHM seems to be too uppity for my tastes ( and wallet)
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2013, 11:46   #21

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

I think I might have met the same guy when I went in the Melbourne Harbor Marina three years ago looking for a berth for my new boat. The first thing which struck me was when everyone in the bar stopped what they were talking about and looked at me as though I had just come in from a solo circumnavigation.
I asked the usual questions, berths size, price, facilities etc., but the fellow was so surly I looked at my wife and we decided not to bother further and walked out. I haven’t been back since.
Old 21-12-2013, 12:49   #22

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Reminds me of Bundaberg Port Marina. We cleared in there, were anchored near the quarantine bouy. One day we were walking up to the coin-operated laundry, when the marina manager accosted us, told us that not being customers we should not use their laundry, and that we weren't allowed to anchor where we were, and he had notified the Port Authority.

They charge $11 for water, which is available at their fuel dock. It's $11 for water regardless of how much fuel you might buy.

One potential customer lost to them.
^^^

It was at Bundaberg Port Marina where the incidents I wrote about in the beginning of the thread occurred. The guy just doesn't like it if you anchor out, and he has accused cruisers of "cheating". I think he's self-consistent, but totally un-user-friendly. But he has a point about the laundromat: the marina supplies it for their customers, not anchor-outs. Sometimes places will let you do your laundry for a small fee or for free if you ask them; trailer parks are good for that.

We usually anchor outside the channel before the turn (eastbound on the Burnett) if we want to visit someone in the marina, or go up and anchor just downriver from the sailing club, when we want to shelter there. One can also anchor downriver, between BPM and the old marina, on the south side. It may be that one is actually supposed to leave the area by the quarantine buoy free for incoming overseas travellers. That might be worth checking out, because otherwise what was that all about concerning reporting you to the Port Authority? is there a basis to it or was it just a nasty threat?

If you want to use a marina's services, then I think you should pay for a slip for the night, and use 'em. It's different if they don't have a slip to accommodate you, then you might want to negotiate use of the laundry for a small fee, given they can't fit you in.
Old 21-12-2013, 13:21   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
^^^

It was at Bundaberg Port Marina where the incidents I wrote about in the beginning of the thread occurred. The guy just doesn't like it if you anchor out, and he has accused cruisers of "cheating". I think he's self-consistent, but totally un-user-friendly. But he has a point about the laundromat: the marina supplies it for their customers, not anchor-outs. Sometimes places will let you do your laundry for a small fee or for free if you ask them; trailer parks are good for that.

We usually anchor outside the channel before the turn (eastbound on the Burnett) if we want to visit someone in the marina, or go up and anchor just downriver from the sailing club, when we want to shelter there. One can also anchor downriver, between BPM and the old marina, on the south side. It may be that one is actually supposed to leave the area by the quarantine buoy free for incoming overseas travellers. That might be worth checking out, because otherwise what was that all about concerning reporting you to the Port Authority? is there a basis to it or was it just a nasty threat?

If you want to use a marina's services, then I think you should pay for a slip for the night, and use 'em. It's different if they don't have a slip to accommodate you, then you might want to negotiate use of the laundry for a small fee, given they can't fit you in.
It's a coin-op laundry. You have to pay to use it. I have no doubt it's profitable for them, it's about $5 per load..

We actually WERE an incoming overseas traveller. I think the bit about reporting us was an empty threat, trying to get us to move into his marina. It's had the opposite effect, we'll actively avoid the place.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2013, 13:43   #24

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
It's a coin-op laundry. You have to pay to use it. I have no doubt it's profitable for them, it's about $5 per load..

We actually WERE an incoming overseas traveller. I think the bit about reporting us was an empty threat, trying to get us to move into his marina. It's had the opposite effect, we'll actively avoid the place.
Yep, we also avoid using that marina when possible (and it is usually possible!). The owner's (manager's??) attitude is such a turn-off for us that we vote our dollars elsewhere when we need a marina fix. Actually, we prefer to clear in in Gladstone or Brisbane when incoming from the East.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 21-12-2013, 13:53   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Quote:
I had an interesting first today. I went into the Melbourne Harbor Marina in Melbourne Florida for a pumpout, some water, and to dump some trash. I visit Melbourne every year for the month of December visiting relatives before continuing on to the Bahamas. In the past I have used the MHM because I have found it to be a friendly and easy place to and get a pumpout and water. In the past what I have done get two pumpout and two water fills during December while anchored out. Melbourne does not have a lot of marina options for Catamarans. Melbourne Harbor Marina cannot accomodate a Catamaran at all. When I'm ready to leave I have always filled my fuel tanks at MHM before heading south and that visit was well over $$300. In the past the pumpout was $10 and water and trash was free. The first time I was in this year the pumpout was still $10 and water and trash was $5. This was perfectly reasonable in my opinion. Water and trash service are not free to the marina and a reasonable charge is not a problem. Today when I went in there The pumpout was still $10 but he asked how much water I needed and I said 80 gallons. Which he said would be $20. I asked him why it was up from $5 only 10 days ago. He said it is what it is. When I pointed out I paid less than this for RO water in the bahamas he went off on a rant about "anchor outs" wanting all these services for free. I asked for absolutely nothing for free. In the Bahamas it costs quite a bit to make RO water from sea water so $.25 a gallon is reasonable. This guy pays .00433 cents a gallon for city water so 80 gallons cost him 32 cents. Five dollars for 32 cents worth of water is a pretty good profit in my opinion even if one includes the capital cost of running a pipe to the end of the dock. He pays a flat rate for a trash dumpster. A bag of trash does not change what he pays so anything he charges is money in his pocket. The city requires that he have the dumpster even if it's not used.

Before I retired there was an old business rule about never being rude or nasty to a small customer because you never knew when they might become a big customer or how many big customers he had as friends. Today I was a small customer. The guy I dealt with identified himself as the owner. Needless to say I'll find some where else to fill my tanks. Maybe $300-$400 worth of diesel is not worth his time, so be it. I don't know why business owners act like this, do they cruisers don't talk to other cruisers? This was the first time I had ever been treated so rudely by a Marina. I might not have been so offended if he did not go off on me for not buying a service he didn't offer (dockage for my Cat).
Come South to Martin Cty Stuart Fl .W e have 2 new pump out boats on the waterways FREE pump out. Chanel 16 Tues thru Sat A 5.00 donation is acceptable.A month or so ago I fueled my fishing boat at Sunset Harbor Marina only about 250.00 free water trash. Bait was expensive o well. By the way there is a moreing field just off there docks and an anchorage across the river with dingy docks a short distance away .Close to Publix and other stores. Stuart is Boater Friendly
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2013, 18:16   #26

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Quote:

As will we! Thanks for the heads up!
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 16:48   #27

Boat: Idylles 15.5
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5

I'm a sailor myself, but I do work at a marina on the north shore of Long Island. A lot of cruisers stop for the night in our area before they head down the East River. I have to be honest, and it is unfortunate, but the sailors usually are the ones who come into the fuel dock, take $30 of fuel and 200 gallons of water and tie up the fuel dock for a half hour while they make three trips to the dumpster up in the parking lot. When there is a line of power boats waiting to fuel up, you can see how the owners get a little pissed off. I'm not painting with a broad brush, I know I'm not cheap when I head up to Block or Newport, but unfortunately some sailors are.
Idylles15.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 19:24   #28

Boat: Custom 30

It has been my experience that it doesn't have anything to do with the cost of the services at all.

Water, pumpout, and trash are FREE with a slip.

He can never make as much money, regardless of what he charges, on an anchor out. Even if he charges for all of the above and showers, he will never recoup the profit from having you get out your dock lines. Cha-ching.

By anchoring out you are cheating him of his full occupancy. He feels as if denying you these basic services and berating you when you pay through the nose for them, will bully or force you into a slip, where he can really get into the profit zone.

Marinas like a huge trawler in a nice expensive wide slip, who buys thousands worth of fuel at a time. I understand why they hate me, I anchor whenever possible, and buy $40 in fuel at most, as I only hold 25 gallons and rarely motor. We are outside the 3 mile limit often enough that paying for a pumpout is rare.

We have often been happy to pay $5 apiece for showers that cost far less than $2 to provide. As stated above, the coin laundry is a nice profit. The showers have to be cleaned anyway. As stated above, a few bags of trash are not going to affect the cost of his dumpster. Since most sewage rates are based on water usage, the pumpout only costs him the electricity, as the pumpout equipment cost is already necessary. Possibly a tiny fraction of his maintenance costs could be added. It is not about whether they are making money on these services.

He thinks you should be paying him $2-4/ft/day for a transient slip, and you are cheating him with your ground tackle.

We are resigned to carrying water in jugs, sailing out to pump out the holding tank, and whenever possible, carrying fuel in a jug from automobile filling stations. I will cheat them out of the whole enchilada if I can. We are even considering joining a chain gym like 24/7 or Anytime Fitness, available lots of places, just for the showers and lockers ashore.

We prefer the quiet and solitude of the hook, and won't be bullied into an overpriced pen. Call us whatever you like, but it is a matter of choice for us. We are currently waiting for weather, and were told of a slip for $10 a night, including water and electric. We still chose to remain on the hook.

Even when we are at our home marina, we are paying for the slip, but rarely buy fuel. We are there taking showers, and using the facilities every day. Compare us to the guy who has a big sport fishing boat. He only comes to the boat a few weekends a year, and when he does he buys $2,000 in fuel a day.

It is sadly unrelated to customer service, it is about maximizing profit, and we are his least profitable customers.

'
Custom30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 19:28   #29
cruiser

Anchor outs not welcome?

Sure some rude sailors may spend a few to many minutes at the dock. I always buy way more fuel than $30, but that has little to do with being quick about things. If it's a busy place I get my stuff done in a urgent manner. It's not surprising that some boaters (sail or power) are oblivious to their surroundings and are slow pokes about it. It really sucks though to be rushed out when paying for fuel, a pump out, ice and taking on water.
You do seem to be making a broad statement about sailors in general. You claim to be a sailor as well, but sailors and cruisers sometimes don't have anything in common. Cruisers move around constantly or for a large portion of the year. Anyone with a sailboat in a slip that moves daily or never is a sailor. Maybe you don't grasp the difference? I travel 7 months a year and try to limit staying in a marina to almost never. Why does it bother you at all? If you don't own the joint, it's no skin off your back or any financial lose to you. You seem bitter about nothing.
Horror Hotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 19:39   #30
cruiser

My previous comments were directed at Idylles15.5. You're not cheap, but most sailors are?
Horror Hotel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor