Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2014, 06:48   #1

Anchor line snubber

I just purchased a Davis shockles anchor line snubber from WM for $63. I can return it if someone can instruct me as to how I can make my own for less money. I have a 30' Catalina with 30' of chain and 150' of line.
csharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 07:01   #2

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Re: Anchor line snubber

Maybe these pictures will help you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mooring Line Snubber 2.jpg
Views:	568
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	83954   Click image for larger version

Name:	both_engines_in_reverse_Cotemar.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	226.3 KB
ID:	83955  

Name:	Anchor Snubber1.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	83956   Click image for larger version

Name:	Anchor Snubber 2.jpg
Views:	910
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	83957  

Name:	Anchor Snubber3.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	242.1 KB
ID:	83958   Click image for larger version

Name:	Anchor Snubber Cotemar 1.jpg
Views:	629
Size:	432.2 KB
ID:	83959  

Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 07:02   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Make your own? All you need is a length of nylon rope, three-strand or better octoplait ("brait"). It's good to have several of different lengths and diameters so you can tune it.

You really don't even need that if you are using a rope rode. What is it made of? If it's nylon, I would't bother. If it's polyester, and if you feel you need more stretch in the rode, then you can use a length of nylon a size or two smaller than the main rode. Even three sizes smaller -- you will need to experiment until you get the stretch you need.

Many people use snubbers which are too short to do any good. On a boat that size I would start with 15 or 20 feet. The thinner the snubber, the shorter it can be to give the same stretch, but obviously it will be weaker.

For sure take back that contraption. You can make up 5 or 6 snubbers for that amount o f money.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 07:07   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Maybe these pictures will help you.
That's a very nice snubber indeed, but it doesn't necessarily need to be so fancy.

It can just be a piece of rope. Tie one end to your anchor rode with a rolling hitch, and give the other end a fair lead over your bow to a cleat or other strong point.

That's all I use on my boat -- I have a collection of snubbers for different conditions, but my main one is 10 meters long x 16mm diameter nylon octoplait, which I lead over the spare bowroller and make off to my inner forestay chainplate for a perfectly fair lead. A bridle would be worse, on my boat, at least, because it would chafe on the rail on each side.

Another advantage of not making your snubbers too fancy is that there is less impediment to having a number of them, and you will be less reluctant to replace them regularly (nylon "work hardens", so should be replaced often).

There are different views about chain hooks, and you'll have to make up your own mind. In my opinion, a rolling hitch is more secure than a chain hook, and hardly any more trouble to put on or take off. And certainly cheaper

The rubber buffer in Cotemar's last photo is a good thing if for any reason you need to limit the length of your snubber. If you have no constraints on length, however, it's not needed -- just make the snubber longer and/or lighter until you get the amount of stretch you need.
Old 27-06-2014, 07:17   #5

Community Sponsor

The rubber snubbers get rid of any and all SHOCK loads
Old 27-06-2014, 07:25   #6

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

I've typically used either braided nylon or a 15-foot piece of (free) retired climbing rope for boats your size or a bit bigger.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 07:26   #7

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
That's a very nice snubber indeed, but it doesn't necessarily need to be so fancy.

It can just be a piece of rope. Tie one end to your anchor rode with a rolling hitch, and give the other end a fair lead over your bow to a cleat or other strong point.

That's all I use on my boat -- I have a collection of snubbers for different conditions, but my main one is 10 meters long x 16mm diameter nylon octoplait, which I lead over the spare bowroller and make off to my inner forestay chainplate for a perfectly fair lead. A bridle would be worse, on my boat, at least, because it would chafe on the rail on each side.

Another advantage of not making your snubbers too fancy is that there is less impediment to having a number of them, and you will be less reluctant to replace them regularly (nylon "work hardens", so should be replaced often).

There are different views about chain hooks, and you'll have to make up your own mind. In my opinion, a rolling hitch is more secure than a chain hook, and hardly any more trouble to put on or take off. And certainly cheaper

The rubber buffer in Cotemar's last photo is a good thing if for any reason you need to limit the length of your snubber. If you have no constraints on length, however, it's not needed -- just make the snubber longer and/or lighter until you get the amount of stretch you need.
We brought our Cotemar style ones over from the UK with us to use over here. we have two, one with a softer rubber bone for normal use and a heavier duty one for 'storm' conditions Then we inherited and still have a bridle type one from our liveaboard trawler, neat but I feel it could be improved with a rubber dog bone compensator inserted, but that would involve some cutting and re-splicing effort. I like the rubber dog bone compensator ones because they really do quieten things down if the boat is swinging around in gusty conditions, plus the snubbers are compact enough to stow easily in the anchor locker. all ours attach to the rode with a cast S/S chain hook.
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 07:30   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
The rubber snubbers get rid of any and all SHOCK loads
Well, within their range of energy absorption, which will be considerably narrower than that of a long piece of nylon. Not "any" and not "all" shock loads, by any means.

But properly sized, a great thing if you can't have the long piece of nylon. Can also be used to add stretch to a snubber which is too thick to give you the stretch you want.

Can also be used directly in the main anchor rode, to add stretch, if you don't feel like using a separate snubber.
Old 27-06-2014, 09:02   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Used about a 30' length of nylon line attached to the chain with a rolling hitch 24/7/365. Never a problem including a tropical depression with winds over 50k. Tried a chain hook but it came detached at the most inopportune times unless seized to the line. The rolling hitch was super simple, secure, and the price was right (free).
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 09:56   #10
cruiser

I went all out last summer and constructed the super snubber pictured. On board, we never even feel like we're at anchor. No tugging, grinding noises, plenty of shock absorbing. Completely unnecessary, but I'm glad I have it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3550.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	337.3 KB
ID:	83962  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 09:59   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by csharp View Post
I just purchased a Davis shockles anchor line snubber from WM for $63. I can return it if someone can instruct me as to how I can make my own for less money. I have a 30' Catalina with 30' of chain and 150' of line.
You don't need a snubber. Snubbers are needed when folks have all chain rodes.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 10:20   #12

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I went all out last summer and constructed the super snubber pictured. On board, we never even feel like we're at anchor. No tugging, grinding noises, plenty of shock absorbing. Completely unnecessary, but I'm glad I have it.
Now that’s what I call a NICE Snubber.

Mine looks similar to yours, But I use a Winchard 5/16 Key Shackle or a 3/16 Amsteel soft shackle which fits through 5/16 High Tensile G4 chain
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Anchor Snubber Cotemar.jpg
Views:	615
Size:	412.5 KB
ID:	83964   Click image for larger version

Name:	Key Shackle 5-16.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	411.1 KB
ID:	83965  

Name:	Soft Shackle_Cotemar.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	448.9 KB
ID:	83966  
Old 28-06-2014, 02:06   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Now that’s what I call a NICE Snubber.

Mine looks similar to yours, But I use a Winchard 5/16 Key Shackle or a 3/16 Amsteel soft shackle which fits through 5/16 High Tensile G4 chain
I had never understood the point of using soft shackles for this. But looking at your photo, I wonder whether the end of the snubber with that would come up over the bow roller, rather than having to be untied by hanging out over the pulpit. Hmm. Maybe worth trying that.

Gorgeous windlass. Why are so many good boats provided with wimpy vertical windlasses and no sampson posts?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 28-06-2014, 03:22   #14

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

The Shockles snubber was tested by Practical Sailor and I don't remember the specifics but it broke at fairly low loads Shockles Snubber Test - Practical Sailor Article

With your 30 feet of chain you'll always have enough nylon out (at least 10 feet) so you don't need a snubber: let's say for instance that you have 3 feet of freeboard, and you anchor in at least 7 feet of water with a 4:1 minimum scope. You need 40 feet of rode, which includes your 10 feet of nylon.
SailFastTri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2014, 05:05   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I had never understood the point of using soft shackles for this. But looking at your photo, I wonder whether the end of the snubber with that would come up over the bow roller, rather than having to be untied by hanging out over the pulpit. Hmm. Maybe worth trying that.
I made several soft shackles early this year (Santa brought me fids for Xmas ).
Ones made with 6mm Dyneema did not fit through our 10mm chain easily, so 5mm was selected. One has been used to connect the snubber to our chain for just over 2 months now full time.

It has worked brilliantly. With use it has stretched so it slides through the link very easily now (we will use a 6mm one next time). It passes over the bow roller with ease, so it can be secured on deck. It ties and unties very quickly.

I could not tighten the diamond knot stopper in a vice, so left a reasonable tail, as recommended. It slid initially about ½ cm and no further since.

The shackle is now looking a little dog-eared, so I think it will need frequent replacement given our full time use. Possibly every 6 months? They are cheap and easy to make.

I have just snapped a shot of it in use:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	342.5 KB
ID:	84048  

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor