Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 08-12-2014, 22:36   #31

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold
Re: Anchor Light Regulations

WE have a large sailboat anchored off our condo right now, I know wher because I watched it anchor in daylight. currently it is invisible as it has a mast top led light that looks like it is a room light in the hi-rise condo the other side of the ICW from us.

My preferred choice for years in Europe was a brass paraffin ( kerosene) lamp hung off the jib sheets if calm or in the cockpit sheltered from stronger winds by the sprayhood or dodger. since these lamps flicker they are not easily confused with background shore lights. For stronger winds we have an excellent Davies low power consumption lamp with a fresnel lens, the latest version of this ever popular lamp has led illumination and an auto on/off switch for dusk to dawn. We normally hang this off the headsail sheets under the black day shape signal but it can also do excellent double duty as a cockpit light. Lights mounted sat more or less eye level in my opinion are far better. Mast top mounted lights are visible if you have an articulated neck fixed in swan neck mode and if there are few lights on shore behind them. I can see why some like solar garden lights but I think they are best kept for the home driveway as most start off dim and get dimmer as the night goes on. I know there are some that are better than the Wally World cheapos but at prices bettered by the Davie LED lamp mentioned before

DAvis Mega Light on Amazon is here http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 09-12-2014, 05:52   #32

Re: Anchor light regulations

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcapo View Post
Wondering what kind of lite and how you power it?
I have a 12volt incandescent with about a 20 foot cord that plugs into a cigarette lighter outlet (it's store bought). I run it through a hatch and hang it on a line I run between the mast and the forestay. I'm looking to upgrade it with an LED this winter.

But, in the past, I've used oil lamps to do the same thing.

Old 09-12-2014, 06:15   #33

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

I've seen lot's of boats around my way using solar powered garden lights for anchor lights. Not so effective after midnight once they start going flat! Having said that, I've got the herd mentality thing happening and have a couple here to hang on my boat mainly so we can find the darned thing in the mooring field on dark nights (we aren't obliged to show a regulation anchor light in a designated mooring field).
Old 09-12-2014, 12:21   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin3 View Post

I can see why some like solar garden lights but I think they are best kept for the home driveway as most start off dim and get dimmer as the night goes on. I know there are some that are better than the Wally World cheapos but at prices bettered by the Davie LED lamp mentioned before

DAvis Mega Light on Amazon is here http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I always like Robin's ideas and I agree that the typical LED "garden lights" are inadequate. The Davis Mega light looks good, but then I'll add my choice to the list as an ultra cheap crusier. I took a high quality LED white light and mounted it inside a used soda bottle that I hang from my mizzen spreader. You can buy something or maybe, like me, put something together with some bits of scrap.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:41   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

speaking of the plastic bottle light, have you seen this?
Old 09-12-2014, 13:14   #36

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

I had one of the original non-led Davis Mega lights for maybe 15 years and it was excellent but if possible I still preferred the flickering kerosene camp light. when I first started cruising in the early '70s and was really impoverished I converted a small cylindrical glass cream/ointment jar (I worked in the pharmaceutical industry) with a plastic screw cap by fitting a bulbholder in the cap that took a 12v bayonet car bulb, it used more amps overnight than I like with a 5W bulb but in those days we didn't run the electronics , autopilot and fridgery/freezery stuff we do nowadays so there was less competition for the limited battery capacity, just as well as we had just a 'Dynastart' dynamo/starter combination on a little 4hp Stuart Turner 2 stroke petrol (gas) inboard.

I do like to see anchor lights in use as even with radar and sharp eyes it gets hard weaving in and out of hundreds of unlit or masttop lit boats. In our latter days in European waters we had a big multi million candlepower handheld spotlight to aid spotting unlit boats and it was quite funny seeing the pyama clad occupants scramble out on deck waving a torch in response, these were wild and rocky narrow fjord in high cliffs type anchorages on the French Atlantic (Bay of Biscay) coastline and outlying islands but they were often pretty well full of anchored boats.

I find it puzzling seeing boats anchored in the ICW near us with no lights showing, although we occasionally see one with ALL the available nav lights on just to be really different. rarer still is to see the spherical black ball day signal shape in use in daylight and I had to order one in for our USA purchased boat. I have still to locate or make a motor sailing cone shape as these are rarer than hen's teeth hereabouts even though they are referred to in colregs ( I took a US boater exam out of interest to suck up to the USA insurance company when we first arrived and had no previous history with them I have since found Defender sell a set of shapes ( anchor and motorsailing) but eyewatering price for a bit of flat black plastic DIY assembly right up Ayetha's street however....

Tags
anchor, regulations

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: