Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2016, 04:41   #1

Boat: Bavaria 33 Cruiser
Anchor Etiquette

This is from last night. We are anchored in one of our favorite spots in Little Harbor off Peter Island BVI. We always take the end spot so the boat can swing a bit and catch what little wind is here for cooling. Further into the cove, other boats (99 percent cats while we're a mono) tie off on shore while anchored.

So, late in the day a big 50 plus cat (A2) comes in and squeezes in between us and our nearest neighbor, but is right within our scope if the wind happened to change from a squall we'd hit them for sure. My husband was sick and sleeping downstairs but he did see it when he woke up. He figured if we swung into during the night it'd just be their fault as he wasn't in a mood for argument being sick.

Well, this morning A2 did move to another spot cause we did swing around toward them a bit. They did their move with the dirty looks and pictures of our boat like we were at fault here because we weren't tied off or something.

So, what's the etiquette here? We were set here a couple days before they showed with no problems. We leave enough scope to be comfortable. Are we expected to get shore line and tie off like most others? Or, should they just reapect our scope and stay out?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Kimberlym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 04:48   #2

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755
Re: Anchor Etiquette

If its a crowded anchorage with everyone else shore tied and you're not willing to rig a shore tie then I think you already know the answer to your question.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 04:49   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Anchor Etiquette

Stay put.. Fender up..!!
Usually the first couple you hang is enough to give the message..
Unless like me your steel.. then its their problem..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 05:06   #4

I think what is good form is to not anchor with the scope of another vessel. It's also good form not to put a a huge scope because you take up more of the anchorage than necessary.

Not being familiar with the anchorage and the conditions and so forth it's hard to judge. Always best to be prudent and keep as a safe distance from other anchored vessels and consider wind and current shifts when making that calculus.

If someone comes on deck and suggests you have anchored to close to them... it's better to find another place to drop the hook. Avoid conflicts, idiots and selfish people. It's just not worth it.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 05:15   #5
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Little harbour is one of our favourite anchorages. I also like to swing rather than tie a line ashore, so sometimes drop the hook right in the middle of the bay and plan to clear all the yachts stern tied. I then usually let out more chain and drop the fortress in 2m, so I have the option of dropping the stern line in the night if the crap hits the fan with boats around me. If you anchored clear of yachts and A2 came in afterwards, they are kind of at fault, but also little harbour is 95% yachts tied stern to, so it's usually best to go with the flow rather than be the annoying guys swinging and inhibiting 5 other yachts from anchoring and tying off. You can anchor 100m further west and be totally clear of the other yachts there as well. Etiquette is pretty dependant on the circumstances, mainly the density of boats there. If it's just a few then swinging at anchor is fine with me. If it's filling up and swinging limits others from anchoring, I'd tie to the shore or move to another more secluded spot to be fair to others. I don't think you showed bad etiquette by staying under the circumstances with a late arrival, but possibly would if you stay all day and limit other yachts using the bay. One of the better options there is to tie to the jetty. You can easily reverse right up to it, throw a line over the pylon and then take in some chain. No swimming to shore and dodging sea urchins required
Say hello to our pet barracuda whe you see him..
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 05:20   #6

Location: Adriatic and Inland France (summer); New Forest, UK (winter)
Boat: Oyster 435 cutter-rigged ketch and Nowee 38 motor yacht

Had a similar situation several times in various Med anchorages. Each time we either followed the example of later arrivals and rowed out a shoreline or moved elsewhere where we could swing without monopolizing a selfish amount of space.

GORDON KNIGHT
Old 08-01-2016, 05:24   #7
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
I think what is good form is to not anchor with the scope of another vessel. It's also good form not to put a a huge scope because you take up more of the anchorage than necessary.

Not being familiar with the anchorage and the conditions and so forth it's hard to judge. Always best to be prudent and keep as a safe distance from other anchored vessels and consider wind and current shifts when making that calculus.

If someone comes on deck and suggests you have anchored to close to them... it's better to find another place to drop the hook. Avoid conflicts, idiots and selfish people. It's just not worth it.

He's a pic of the anchorage. Wind is predominantly easterly. Yachts anchor stern to all the way around the cove. Dropping the anchor near the 's' in sand will clear all the yachts stern tied. I guess the op dropped closer to the anchor symbol which is a bit too close to swing and still leave space for others.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1452259465.570630.jpg
Views:	669
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	116392
Old 08-01-2016, 05:40   #8
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i know that anchorage-- but when we were there(2008), no one was tying stern to shore or otherwise, all swung normally. it was a nice anchorage with a good evening breeze. was crowded, but it also was christmas. beautiful.
the last one in is the one who should relocate in event of a difficulty.
those who were anchored when he arrived should be able to sleep in peace.
one does not anchor within the swing of another boat and expect to have a clear swing. first one there stays.
good luck.
note the use of operative word should.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 05:48   #9
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yeah a similar situation happened to us last night as well. We are on a mooring buoy and someone came and anchored 30m ahead of us and ended up 30 m off our starboard quarter. Any south in the wind would have us kissing gunnels. A bIt annoying but at least they're not shooting at us ..
Old 08-01-2016, 05:56   #10

Normally, I'd agree that first in has the right of swing, but if in a crowded anchorage and the local custom is tied up, I think you know the answer. There's a reason everyone else is tied, and it's not because they all want to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
WindwardPrinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:05   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Anchor Etiquette

So.. what you are saying is.. if I want to anchor there I have to launch my dinghy.. take a 250ft+ line and hook ashore.. then dinghy back to the boat.
The hell with that..!!

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:08   #12
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It's actually a beautiful place to go stern to. Very protected and it's nice jumping in the clear water close to shore for some snorkelling and hiking. It's also a very popular spot for charter crews between gigs for some r and r as it's just a 30 minute sail to Tortola. There is always a lot of coming and going so a few yachts arriving at dusk is to be expected.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1452262080.142067.jpg
Views:	563
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	116393Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1452262097.389273.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	116394
Old 08-01-2016, 06:13   #13
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Haha Phil. A 40m line should do it . But as I said, we drop anchor in 6m close to the middle (not as far as the middle or you risk tangling others anchors) let out 60m of chain as we reverse to the shore, drop the fortress in sand and retrieve about half the chain. Most of the yachts send a swimmer or dinghy to shore to tie to a rock or tree.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:31   #14

Etiquitte is about meeting local custom.

Since local custom appears to be stern tying...you have your answer.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:37   #15
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

I was taught that the first boat into an anchorage sets the anchor method. In this case, it appears to be a parking problem. Swinging freely might be considered the boating equivalent of taking up four parking places at WalMart.

and they sell ammo at WalMart....

Tags
anchor