Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2016, 12:26   #91
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Anchor Etiquette

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisM View Post
3:1 just doesn't seem safe. A few weeks ago at the Bight we had 7:1 because we had room even though the weather was forecast to be good (I just had a feeling). Good thing because a series of squalls went through that night with gusts up to 30. The winds would drop to an average of 10 to 15 but did gust up to 30 four or five times that night. Even with that 7:1, which I did let out a bit during the night to about 9:1 and an anchor buried completely before nightfall, we dragged about 10 feet and felt the tug quite a few times during those gusts. I didn't sleep much that night.
Look, depth is Important. As is freeboard. Are you adding that?

I am in 30 feet of water, say 10 meters. I have 6ft freeboard - water to roller. So that's 36ft/12 meters x 7 = 252feet/ 84 meters.

Is that how much you have laid out?

I doubt it.

I do get the point in very shallow water - say the Bahamas, anchored in 4 ft of water with 4ft draft then let out 12ft chain? No, that's crazy. (Actually reread that story of the guy losing his boat at westend, he only had a fraction of chain put - 30ft if I remember..
So like cruisingcat said: I put out 20m no matter what
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 12:38   #92

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Thing with scope ratios is, they should vary with depth. 3:1 might be fine in 10 metres of water, but wouldn't be much good in 2 metres.

I work on about 20m chain as a minimum, and increase it if the water is deeper than about 4-5m.

If there isn't room for 20m I go elsewhere.
Yep, I agree with this practice as well. We seldom anchor in less than 8 metres, and often in 10-15 where 7:1 is not needed and would be a pain in the ass to deal with on a regular basis.

Jim
Old 13-01-2016, 13:23   #93

Boat: Bavaria 33 Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Look, depth is Important. As is freeboard. Are you adding that?

I am in 30 feet of water, say 10 meters. I have 6ft freeboard - water to roller. So that's 36ft/12 meters x 7 = 252feet/ 84 meters.

Is that how much you have laid out?

I doubt it.

I do get the point in very shallow water - say the Bahamas, anchored in 4 ft of water with 4ft draft then let out 12ft chain? No, that's crazy. (Actually reread that story of the guy losing his boat at westend, he only had a fraction of chain put - 30ft if I remember..
So like cruisingcat said: I put out 20m no matter what
Yikes, sorry. Didn't mean to touch a nerve. Originally, all you said was 3:1 and over that was just hogging up room. You said nothing about depth or anything else. Sorry you weren't more clear or that I couldn't read your mind from what you wrote.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
CurtisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 06:18   #94

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Thing with scope ratios is, they should vary with depth. 3:1 might be fine in 10 metres of water, but wouldn't be much good in 2 metres.

I work on about 20m chain as a minimum, and increase it if the water is deeper than about 4-5m.

If there isn't room for 20m I go elsewhere.
That's exactly how I do it.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 07:17   #95

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
To me,

This situation was complicated by the fact that the OP did not want to (or, maybe have the skills to) move her boat, without the help of her husband, who was ill below. ...............
If they were anchored first, they should not have to move because someone else anchored too close to them. The person who came in later and anchored too close should not have done so. They are the ones who should have moved.

Consider this - they might have left the boat and gone to shore. How could they move the boat if they weren't on it?

It takes a great deal of balls or ignorance to anchor your boat too close to boats already anchored.
Old 16-01-2016, 07:23   #96
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Anchor Etiquette

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
If they were anchored first, they should not have to move because someone else anchored too close to them. The person who came in later and anchored too close should not have done so. They are the ones who should have moved.

Consider this - they might have left the boat and gone to shore. How could they move the boat if they weren't on it?

It takes a great deal of balls or ignorance to anchor your boat too close to boats already anchored.
+A1..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 07:31   #97
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisM View Post
Yikes, sorry. Didn't mean to touch a nerve.
I should have added a smiley or 2

I forget some people are always in shallow water.
Oh and tide as well

MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 07:33   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post

Maybe you didn't read the whole thread. It's a crowded anchorage, and most everyone is tied in bow and stern. The same boating courtesy rules that dictate that an arriving boat respect existing boats also require that established anchorage techniques in a given location be respected.

I think it's OK to anchor further out and anchor differently, but you lose the right to complain if someone else shows up in "your space".

So it's not quite as black and white as you're indicating.

Also, there WERE people on the boat, and they didn't really communicate with each other. Further complicating the issue is that these are boats have seen each other around in general.

The Virgin Islands are beautiful, but too crowded this time of year to expect privacy at anchor.

I see this as a grey area, and one where "it takes a village"...
WindwardPrinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 11:29   #99

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindwardPrinces View Post
Maybe you didn't read the whole thread. It's a crowded anchorage, and most everyone is tied in bow and stern. The same boating courtesy rules that dictate that an arriving boat respect existing boats also require that established anchorage techniques in a given location be respected.

I think it's OK to anchor further out and anchor differently, but you lose the right to complain if someone else shows up in "your space".

So it's not quite as black and white as you're indicating.

Also, there WERE people on the boat, and they didn't really communicate with each other. Further complicating the issue is that these are boats have seen each other around in general.

The Virgin Islands are beautiful, but too crowded this time of year to expect privacy at anchor.

I see this as a grey area, and one where "it takes a village"...
Yep, +1
Old 16-01-2016, 12:27   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I should have added a smiley or 2

I forget some people are always in shallow water.
Oh and tide as well

My kind of anchorage!

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 00:44   #101

Boat: between boats

The OP's situation is a pretty common one in the med. My take on the etiquette is that if the boat chooses to not tie off thats fine especially if a sick skipper is the reason. Tieing off can be a complicated affair if the wind is up or and/or you are shorthanded so its not as simple as just saying match the other boats or else like in normal anchoring situations.

BUT They must choose a spot away from the tied off boats and away from a spot that might reasonably become a tie off spot as the anchorage fills.

If there was no reason why the end of the bay couldnt be used for tieing off then the OP is somewhat in the wrong.

The late arrival is also clearly breaching anchoring etiquette for my money. You cant just drop your pick and tie off and ignore the swing of boats already there. Why wasnt there a conversation along the lines of -

"look terribly sorry but we need to anchor for the night and the rest of the bay is full and this is the last spot left. Would you mind if we help you tie off so we can both fit?"

From the sounds of it , its because the guy is an arse.

Clearly two wrongs wont make it right this time.
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 03:50   #102

Boat: CS 27

Wouldn't it be amazing if there was a colour coded ribbon you hung off the rail to indicate your scope?
Chrisgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 04:29   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post

Clearly two wrongs wont make it right this time.
This really seems to be the issue.
- The OP didn't want to follow the local anchoring method
- The late arrival didn't talk to the OP before taking the space.

If either had stepped up and taken the initiative, no ones feelings would have been hurt.

I'm not buying the sick captain as she could have asked for assistance with a shore tie to help make room for the new boat. In terms of etiquette, that would have demonstrated her willingness to work with them and likely difused any tension.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 05:55   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
....................what bothers me is when a cruiser goes into a bay, pick's the obviously best spot, then expects that everyone else has to go somewhere far away because they got there first.
Wouldn't you pick the best spot? Wouldn't everyone? I know I would.

If I enter an anchorage and there's another boat there, I will anchor as far from that boat as practical. I just think that is courteous. As more boats come in to anchor, one should expect them to eventually be closer but nobody should ever anchor in someone else's swinging circle. If you can't anchor without being in someone else's swinging circle, the anchorage is "full" and it's your obligation to go somewhere else, not endanger another boat.
Old 18-01-2016, 05:58   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post

I LOVE bagpipe music.
Did you ever wonder why bagpipe players walk when they play?

They are trying to get away from the noise.

Tags
anchor