Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2016, 18:43   #61

Re: Anchor Etiquette

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
The general rule of thumb is that the first boat anchoring sets the pattern. Since you were NOT the first boat in then you should have looked for a place to stern-to rather than indulge your own desires.

With that said, your issue was with the boat that came in after ward. In that case, its his responsibility to anchor sensibly. ...........
zb, please understand that Curtis was quite CLEAR of all the stern-to boats.

If you and/or I arrive (together) at the same time at an anchorage that has infinite room and we see a bunch of boats tied stern-to, and we are well clear of them and are not creating empty space by our mere presence and so choose to NOT tie off to tree, what is the issue?

Please help me understand.

I agree that Curtis' issue was A2, "the boat that came in after [sic] ward..."
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 04:13   #62

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

I'm with the OP & Stu. If I came into that anchorage & choose to stay well clear of the herd of stern-tied yachts way over there out of the way, & another yacht came in & anchored in my swing--stern tied or not--I'd be annoyed. I'd expect him to stay clear of me. If a bunch more yachts came it & it became clear they were all going to be in my area & needing to stern-tie to fit in, then I'd re-think my approach.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 04:34   #63
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

If you pulled into an anchorage and picked a spot near another boat, and while setting up to anchor you noticed a large, totally nude guy standing on the bow of that boat tuning up his bagpipes and grinning at you.....would you move on?

I'm just trying to come up with acceptable strategies here. I was also thinking about setting up a clay pigeon launcher on the side of the boat toward the new one but realized a lot of people from the US East Coast wouldn't recognize one.
Old 10-01-2016, 04:55   #64
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Mark, that was a great post!!

Maybe this type of thread has been brought up about 100 times in the past. In reading it, the one thing missing in the discussion is that seldom, if ever, do boats actually hit each other, especially if there is wind. If you're worried about it and don't want to move, do the Mediterranean thing and put out some fenders.

As far as what everyone "hates" about others anchoring, what bothers me is when a cruiser goes into a bay, pick's the obviously best spot, then expects that everyone else has to go somewhere far away because they got there first.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:25   #65

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Quote:
If you pulled into an anchorage and picked a spot near another boat, and while setting up to anchor you noticed a large, totally nude guy standing on the bow of that boat tuning up his bagpipes and grinning at you.....would you move on?
No, but I would likely pull out my camera & grin back at him!
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 10:52   #66

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

I’ve come in very late to this one, but I find it interesting because I’ve just had my normal night anchoring method published in this months Good Old Boat magazine.
Basically it uses a second anchor half way down the chain, so we swing to a relatively small circle on the second anchor, until the wind or current gets strong enough to shift the second anchor and relocate us, facing that direction—or part thereof.
I usually buoy the second anchor, which sometimes mystifies others, who think I must have ten-ton down there, to swing on such a short scope.
I wouldn’t have a problem conforming to the norm’ in any particular anchorage though, but I would still lay my two lumps.
Old 10-01-2016, 11:34   #67
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

What stops people from fouling your originally placed anchor, if they think the bouy marks the end of your chain?

Why wouldn't they drop right on top of your anchor, up current of you?
Old 10-01-2016, 11:42   #68
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
I’ve come in very late to this one, but I find it interesting because I’ve just had my normal night anchoring method published in this months Good Old Boat magazine.

Basically it uses a second anchor half way down the chain, so we swing to a relatively small circle on the second anchor, until the wind or current gets strong enough to shift the second anchor and relocate us, facing that direction—or part thereof.

I usually buoy the second anchor, which sometimes mystifies others, who think I must have ten-ton down there, to swing on such a short scope.

I wouldn’t have a problem conforming to the norm’ in any particular anchorage though, but I would still lay my two lumps.

I'd call that pretty bad etiquette in most anchorages. I can't imagine any benefit to you or others using that technique.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 13:42   #69

Boat: Bavaria 33 Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post

I'm just trying to come up with acceptable strategies here. I was also thinking about setting up a clay pigeon launcher on the side of the boat toward the new one but realized a lot of people from the US East Coast wouldn't recognize one.
LOL. Almost got caught at our current spot, Sprat Bay, today. We were here all day yesterday by ourselves and even into the afternoon today. My "goal" as I explained to my wife for today was to not put any clothing on myself. She agreed. Yesterday we snorkled to shore, au natural, and we just getting into the dinghy for a jaunt to a little sandy spot down the way when another boat headed our direction. Damn. We waited, and they anchored about 35 meters away. WTF? Entire bay and they drop right next to us. LOL. Oh well. On went the shorts and we decided for a dinghy ride over to the Indians and back. Got back and there are now 4 of us here. And, they are all around US!! Guess we picked the best spot so they're trying to get the second best spot. LOL

At the least they are all very friendly people though.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
CurtisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 14:07   #70

Quote:

I've seen so many nude bathers and sunbathers and swimmers off boats by now it wouldn't even register... OTOH, playing a banjo would be criminal for sure...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 14:20   #71

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:

I LOVE bagpipe music.

Try pandora.com and search for

Royal Scots Dragoon Guards

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 14:57   #72

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

Just to reply to Canibul and Monte.
My first objective is to always anchor securely and I never lay to a single anchor overnight. I think it’s bad practice.
The anchors are normally only about two scopes apart, so most skippers would not drop theirs only two scopes ahead, then fall back on a buoy. I haven’t read every thread, but does anyone mention buoying the anchor to indicate it’s position?
My boat draws six feet six-ish, so we always tend to be on the outside of any shallow anchorage, so fouling the anchors has never been a problem.
Anyway, I recognize this thread is about etiquette, not anchoring methods, so I’ll say only that I reserve the right to anchor my boat as I know it is secure at night, not simply following others in a particular style.
If you get to read the article, it finishes where we once saved two boats and the lives of the occupants, because we held fast in a full Mediterranean gale.
Old 10-01-2016, 16:03   #73

Personally, I hate having 2 anchors out. I only do it when necessary, such as the case being that everyone else is on 2 anchors. I normally avoid those anchorage. I like to be able to get out quickly, if necessary.

I would never buoy my anchor, unless the buoy was underwater. I would be too worried of another boat coming in at night, and wrapping it up in their prop.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 16:33   #74
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

"The anchors are normally only about two scopes apart"

First time I've ever come across "scope" used as a unit of length.

I've only ever seen it used for the ratio of length of rode to water depth (plus height of anchor attachment).IOW, it is a dimensionless number, not a unit of length.(i.e. a scope of 5 or 5:1)
Is this common usage in some parts of the world?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 06:22   #75
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
"The anchors are normally only about two scopes apart"

First time I've ever come across "scope" used as a unit of length.

Is this common usage in some parts of the world?
Not that I have heard. Scope is the ratio. 2 scopes means nothing.

But "2 shackles" may have been what the person meant meaning 2 x 30 meters.

I just use meters so everyone knows what I am talking about (except Americans!)

Mark
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor