Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2016, 13:25   #46
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Re: Anchor Etiquette

internally applied combination anesthetic/disinfectant?
Old 09-01-2016, 13:41   #47

Boat: Bavaria 33 Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
internally applied combination anesthetic/disinfectant?
Got the rum ready ;-)
CurtisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 16:03   #48

For all you folks who said that Curtis and his wife shoulda done something different than being first in first served, I can only suggest a big bah humbug based on Curtis' description of these events.

This "new" to me concept of local "traditions" makes so little sense to me, especially if the first boat in is CLEAR of everyone else. I've anchored there myself in 1986, and I doubt the bottom or the bay have changed much in the intervening years. Of course, things were a lot less crowded then. But I recall, vividly, the night we pulled in in our Endeavor 32, about 1700, and a "racier" type of boat came in and dropped anchor just (of course) upwind of us and threw it into reverse, all the time the guy on the bow was screaming back at the guy on the tiller: "I can't get a bite, I can't get a bite." They tried is SIX blinkin' times, and finally left, headed back for Roadtown.

Facts are stubborn things, and without them we are all making assumptions. I recognize that what we all say here are opinions, and you've heard mine, but even if A2 wasn't an all-around BVI jerk, now known to many, using Mark's fine sentiments, it was they who should have rowed over to Curtis and asked.

Dontcha think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisM View Post
I'm the husband. Kinda thinking I picked up strep. We'll see.

On the anchoring, we've seen this A2 there quite a few times as it seems a favorite of their's too. Does seem to me they have a habit of squeezing in closer to others than everyone else in the harbour. Last May someone on another boat got in a yelling match with A2. It got really ugly too. The other boat was there first and A2 came in and squeezed in between two closely, tied off, cats even though there was plenty of room to the west. One could almost jump from deck to deck once A2 was in there. I've even had to yield to them in the channel when they were motoring and we were on a starboard tack. I think they just believe they own this area or something.

On this one, when I woke up, it was almost dark. The winds were forecast to be below 10 so I figured all would be fine. We did get really close during the night once. I guess that's why they moved. I explained to my wife to feel free to say something next time and just be friendly about it. But, expect them to yell back as they did with the other guy.

Heck, we dropped anchor in Deadman's Bay the other day and ended closer than I had planned to another boat. I saw one of them look my way and called out I was going to rehook. He said no problem cause they were going to leave in an hour. Really cool.

This incident with A2 is the first problem we've ever had. Disappointing to say the least.

Now we're over in Key Bay (Sprat Bay) and have the entire place to ourselves. Still feel like ****, but what ya gonna do?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 16:23   #49

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
For all you folks who said that Curtis and his wife shoulda done something different than being first in first served, I can only suggest a big bah humbug based on Curtis' description of these events.

This "new" to me concept of local "traditions" makes so little sense to me, especially if the first boat in is CLEAR of everyone else. I've anchored there myself in 1986, and I doubt the bottom or the bay have changed much in the intervening years. Of course, things were a lot less crowded then. But I recall, vividly, the night we pulled in in our Endeavor 32, about 1700, and a "racier" type of boat came in and dropped anchor just (of course) upwind of us and threw it into reverse, all the time the guy on the bow was screaming back at the guy on the tiller: "I can't get a bite, I can't get a bite." They tried is SIX blinkin' times, and finally left, headed back for Roadtown.

Facts are stubborn things, and without them we are all making assumptions. I recognize that what we all say here are opinions, and you've heard mine, but even if A2 wasn't an all-around BVI jerk, now known to many, using Mark's fine sentiments, it was they who should have rowed over to Curtis and asked.

Dontcha think?
Except they weren't first into the anchorage. It already had shore tie boats in it who were doing the "local tradition"approach. If you enter an anchorage and put out 10 to 1 scope thus consuming the space that many other boats could have anchored in who had a more normal scope out, getting there first doesn't make it right. The bays are just too crowded for that thinking.
Check with your neighbors politely and move it things are uncomfortable for either party.
Old 09-01-2016, 16:39   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Except they weren't first into the anchorage. It already had shore tie boats in it who were doing the "local tradition"approach. If you enter an anchorage and put out 10 to 1 scope thus consuming the space that many other boats could have anchored in who had a more normal scope out, getting there first doesn't make it right. The bays are just too crowded for that thinking.
Check with your neighbors politely and move it things are uncomfortable for either party.
Paul, I respect you and your posts, BUT...

They were there CLEAR of everyone else.

A2 came in essentially on top of them. Regardless of his reputation...

Doesn't that matter?
Old 09-01-2016, 16:45   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
Interesting thread. Learning a lot. Thanks guys. Now what did you say about guns?
Guns?....Guns are for sissys......

"Grenades in a horizontal launcher. I can see a business for making deck mounted chrome plated mini canons. Canon bracket posts on bow, stern, port and starboard that you could easily put drop your canon into."

Who said that?..Oh, YOU did!

I ESPECIALLY liked the chrome plated part. Can't wait to see THAT set up on your new Lagoon!

Should intimidate the hell out of those sailors with poor anchorage etiquette!.....oh, and those pesky sunset bagpipe players too!
Old 09-01-2016, 16:49   #52

Speaking of etiquette....

Anybody ever come back from a day ashore, only to find another boat rafted up to yours? People you don't know.

When that happened to me (BVIs)...my very first thought was...."Damn, I think that's a MAJOR breach of etiquette right there"
Old 09-01-2016, 16:54   #53

Boat: Bavaria 33 Cruiser

Quote:
We had a measly 5 to 1 scope. Don't know where you got 10 to 1. No need to blow this out of proportion.

And, as stated, we were at the end away from everyone. A2 came in on top of us ;-)

CurtisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 16:59   #54
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Don't worry Curtis.. in the rush to be the Good Guy things get stretched for effect..
300-400ft of rode.. 10-1 etc..😃😃😃
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 17:12   #55

Boat: Rafiki 37

A bit more courtesy and basic human communication on both sides could have easily averted all the bad feelings.

So many of these anchor-rage situations I see online seem to be created by a simple lack of basic human contact. What ever happened to talking to your neighbours?

When I have to anchor in proximity to others I go out of my way to talk to those already there so I can find out:
  1. If there is a local practice I should know about.
  2. What kind of rode and scope is being used.
  3. What kind of bottom we're dealing with.
  4. Any other issues like currents, winds, etc.
Mainly it's to say hi, and to make a human connection with my new temporary neighbours.

It seems to me that so many of today's problems could be solved by simply talking to each other.
Old 09-01-2016, 17:28   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisM View Post
We had a measly 5 to 1 scope. Don't know where you got 10 to 1. No need to blow this out of proportion.

And, as stated, we were at the end away from everyone. A2 came in on top of us ;-)

Curtis
No, I didn't mean to imply that you were 10 to 1. I was just responding to Stu who implied that first one there gets rights no matter what. There's definitely a few jerks out there, especially in the BVI crowd.

Would you do things differently next time?
Old 09-01-2016, 17:37   #57

Quote:
Paul, I respect you and your posts, BUT...

They were there CLEAR of everyone else.

A2 came in essentially on top of them. Regardless of his reputation...

Doesn't that matter?
Stu
Sure it matters. I just don't go by the hard rule that first one in gets rights when the anchoring in is as crowded and limited space as it is in the BVIs. In my example if I put down 10 to 1 scope and are clear of everyone when I anchor does that make it alright? I don't think so.
In the OP case things are grey. By taking an outside spot near the shore and not shore tieing they were essentially taking their spot and the one next to it where the cat anchored and tied to shore like the other boats along the sides. Pretty crowded place to be taking up two anchor spots. And like I mentioned early there is generally room to single anchor closer to the center and still have boats shore-tied around.
Old 09-01-2016, 17:47   #58

Quote:
Curtis
............I was just responding to Stu who implied that first one there gets rights no matter what.
Paul, thanks for that important modifier.

IIRC, I didn't mean to say that, and apologize to all if anyone misunderstood what I meant or was trying to say.

I disagree with those who think (I said) "no matter what" and which is why I agree(d) with Mark's great post, and the later ones with communications being key.

My points were specifically with Curtis' situation with A2, which I feel seem to have been misunderstood by many based on the descriptions as I understood them during and from the start of this thread, as well as the chart on one of the earlier pages.

If Curtis was way clear of any of the stern-to-trees boats, what's the issue?

It's no different than Kenomac anchoring across the anchorage from all other boats. He has a great idea.
Old 09-01-2016, 18:28   #59

Quote:
My points were specifically with Curtis' situation with A2, which I feel seem to have been misunderstood by many based on the descriptions as I understood them during and from the start of this thread, as well as the chart on one of the earlier pages.

If Curtis was way clear of any of the stern-to-trees boats, what's the issue?
I guess I'm bias a bit by the fact that when we were in the BVIs for awhile I used to head to this anchorage because you could get in without a bunch of mooring balls, it was secure from the wind and it could generally fit the demand of boats put on it. Just cause you are clear of existing boats does not make it a courteous place to anchor. What about the next wave of boats that you know are coming in?

Anyway, no harm, no foul. The boats left without damage and the OP probably wasn't going to become best friends with the cat that anchored next to them anyway.
Old 09-01-2016, 18:29   #60

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

The general rule of thumb is that the first boat anchoring sets the pattern. Since you were NOT the first boat in then you should have looked for a place to stern-to rather than indulge your own desires.

With that said, your issue was with the boat that came in after ward. In that case, its his responsibility to anchor sensibly. If you are a kind skipper you keep an eye out for the other boat or ask them to move politely. If not and you go bump in the night its going to end up costing you money anyhow... so although the unwritten rules say he should move... you being the more experienced skipper should either ask him to move or just take it upon yourself to move. It sucks but some time being the adult in the harbor is beneficial to all parties.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor