Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2015, 13:38   #31

Re: Am I sailor now?

Thanks John,

One thing I am not, I'm not a 'credit card captain'. Awhile back a friend said I didn't need to do all of these RYA Qualifications and stuff. All I had to do was sail a bit with friends and then buy a boat.

And he was right, I don't have to do the RYA Qualifications, but I'm not doing them cause I want to. I'm getting qualified for my peace of mind. When I get onto the water on my own boat, I want know that I'm not going to hit someone, or try sailing it onto a beach or something else equally stupid. Do it right, or don't do it.
Old 13-10-2015, 14:25   #32

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoxieGirl View Post
Thanks John,

One thing I am not, I'm not a 'credit card captain'. Awhile back a friend said I didn't need to do all of these RYA Qualifications and stuff. All I had to do was sail a bit with friends and then buy a boat.

And he was right, I don't have to do the RYA Qualifications, but I'm not doing them cause I want to. I'm getting qualified for my peace of mind. When I get onto the water on my own boat, I want know that I'm not going to hit someone, or try sailing it onto a beach or something else equally stupid. Do it right, or don't do it.
Well, let's not jump to conclusions. Just because you're super smart and get all the certifications doesn't mean you aren't going to do something stupid.

I'm offshore skipper certified. I still do moronic things with my boat on a disturbingly regular basis. I guess the difference is that I do fewer of them and can get myself out of the self-created mess a bit faster once I do them...
Old 13-10-2015, 21:31   #33

Boat: 1970 hinckley 38 / 1975 john alden boothbay challenger 58

welcome to the best addiction on the planet, and welcome to one of the best groups of people around. sailors are some of the nicest, most welcoming, friendly and just downright interesting people around.
frozenhawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 11:07   #34

cwyckham, Well said, and I don't ever expect (regardless of how much training I have) to be stupid-proof. But, when I do do something stupid, I hope to have the knowledge and skills to see it for what it is, and get myself out of it, then laugh my arse off at myself for being stupid.

We have a saying when writing computer code (such as for websites and stuff) in IT. 'You can try and make your code fool-proof, but nature will always make a better fool.' I think the same can be said for sailing. 'You can always try and outsmart the ocean, but Neptune will always make a smarter storm.' OK, it needs work, but you get the gist.

frozenhawaiian, (nice nick btw). Thank you. I am constantly amazed at how genuine and friendly people in the sailing community are.

MG
Old 14-10-2015, 11:16   #35

Quote:
cwyckham, Well said, and I don't ever expect (regardless of how much training I have) to be stupid-proof. But, when I do do something stupid, I hope to have the knowledge and skills to see it for what it is, and get myself out of it, then laugh my arse off at myself for being stupid.

We have a saying when writing computer code (such as for websites and stuff) in IT. 'You can try and make your code fool-proof, but nature will always make a better fool.' I think the same can be said for sailing. 'You can always try and outsmart the ocean, but Neptune will always make a smarter storm.' OK, it needs work, but you get the gist.

frozenhawaiian, (nice nick btw). Thank you. I am constantly amazed at how genuine and friendly people in the sailing community are.

MG
Very well said. You have a great attitude and will make a great skipper.
Old 18-10-2015, 21:59   #36
cruiser

You seem to be a very squared away newbie. I don't doubt you will soon enough be a sailor and, eventually an old salt.

Paul
Paul J. Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 22:07   #37

Quote:
Thank you everyone for your comments. There truly are some wonderful people here (and on the sea obviously).

Category4jay - Good advice, for sure. Thankfully, I'm happily single.

Time2Go - Yes, Bev was our instructor. She's great and really knows her stuff. Yep, sure did learn about back-filling the jib. She's such a laid back, easy going skipper.

You came a fair distance to get your coastal skipper. LOL One of my sisters used to live in Portland, Maine, (you mentioned NE US) and her and her boyfriend used to deliver rich people's sailboats from Maine to Florida about this time of year, and then take them back up to Maine in the summer.

Does anyone else get bad land-sickness? I was fine on the boat, never had an issue, even in the slightest, with motion sickness. Above deck, below deck, absolutely fine. Got back on land and the troubles began.

The world swayed from when I got back on Friday until the following Thursday. There were times I had to lay down and have a nap, or get in my car and take a drive. I wasn't eating as much (a good thing), and couldn't sit at my computer for more than thirty minutes before the screens would rock so bad I had to get up.

It eventually faded and the ground seems normal now. I think the only obvious solution is to get on a boat, and stay there.

MG
I would expect your land sickness to improve as you sail more. Just as your body gets used to sailing, it will get used to the transition from water to land.
Old 29-10-2015, 07:58   #38

MoxieGirl (Renee) wrote a great article for Sail Mentor telling about her first course. She's a great writer.

Thanks, Renee!

Tags
sail