Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-05-2015, 09:34   #1

Am I Realistic?

Hi guys and girls,

Basically my dream is to buy a used 40-50' catamaran for around 200-300K USD.
I'd like to use the catamaran to solo sail around the world and stay at the world's best surf spots, until the surf season ends in one region (Carribean/Atlantic for example) and i head over to the Pacific islands and stay there for a couple of months until the cycle repeats.
Here's the thing: I don't know the first thing about sailing, zero experience, zero knowledge, no mechanical knowledge etc.
Can i educate myself well enough to do a solo sailing trip from the Carribean to Fiji? Or is this unrealistic? How long would it take for me to gain the appropriate amount of knowledge to be able to do this kind of stuff.

And what about import taxes for boats? Are these import taxes only applicable if you plan to stay at the place forever or something? What about sailors who stay anchored for months on end at a specific spot but without staying there forever, do they have to pay an import tax?

Thanks in advance

Old 26-05-2015, 09:42   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Re: Am i realistic?

I'll take the bait....

No you are not being realistic on a few fronts, but then again, EVERYONE that owns a cruising boat now out there "living the dream" what ever that means, was also told by almost everyone they asked that they were crazy and not being realistic! Hell I was by my entire family and circle of friends who most of them bet against me and still do to this day! What scared them and generates a great deal of the negativity is that if a Bozo like me (or you) can do it...what was their excuse!!

It's what I call the first real test or Cruiser Seriousness....can you accept being called Crazy, Unrealistic, Insane and still smile and go for it? Because if you can't....then you don't have a chance out at Sea, where attitude and determination trump people thinking you can't do it!

SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 09:51   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
I'll take the bait....

No you are not being realistic on a few fronts, but then again, EVERYONE that owns a cruising boat now out there "living the dream" what ever that means, was also told by almost everyone they asked that they were crazy and not being realistic! Hell I was by my entire family and circle of friends who most of them bet against me and still do to this day! What scared them and generates a great deal of the negativity is that if a Bozo like me (or you) can do it...what was their excuse!!

It's what I call the first real test or Cruiser Seriousness....can you accept being called Crazy, Unrealistic, Insane and still smile and go for it? Because if you can't....then you don't have a chance out at Sea, where attitude and determination trump people thinking you can't do it!
Yes i can take being called crazy lol. Could you elaborate a little bit more on which fronts i'm being unrealistic and why? I already consider myself clinically insane for a number of reasons by the way
Old 26-05-2015, 10:03   #4

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

How did you choose that size and type of vessel?
How do you plan on gaining experience?
Are your timelines realistic vis a vis hurricane seasons and travel times? (It takes a few months to sail half way around the world)
Ocean crossings aren't just about sailing, they are also about fixing and jury rigging things as you go. How handy are you?
Old 26-05-2015, 10:06   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhand View Post
How did you choose that size and type of vessel?
How do you plan on gaining experience?
Are your timelines realistic vis a vis hurricane seasons and travel times? (It takes a few months to sail half way around the world)
Ocean crossings aren't just about sailing, they are also about fixing and jury rigging things as you go. How handy are you?
Since i'll be a liveaboard i'd like to have that size of a boat and i also have 2 labradors.
Gain experience by taking sailing lessons and reading books.
Already aware of the hurricane seasons of course and will evidently plan my trips around them.
Not handy at all so will have to take classes.
Keep in mind that i'll be staying at specific spots for months on end so the ocean crossing will be a fraction of the time spent.

How long does it take roughly for a catamaran to get from Panama to Fiji? About 2 months?
Old 26-05-2015, 10:32   #6

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

I would consider not being handy a death knoll, but the best way to decide if this is realistic for you is to get out there and start learning.
Old 26-05-2015, 10:34   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIforever View Post
How long does it take roughly for a catamaran to get from Panama to Fiji? About 2 months?
A recommendation. If you are serious about doing this then you should start learning how to calculate time and distance.

Panama to Fiji is about 7000 miles. A cat could average over 100 miles per day in good conditions. For sake of argument call it 150 miles per day.

7000 miles divided by 150 miles per day gives you about 6 weeks. That of course is in good conditions sailing non stop. That would be a very ambitious voyage for a newby.

Why if I may ask, solo? 40-50' cat is a lot of boat to handle for an inexperience solo sailor. By the way, 50' would be twice as much work as a 40'. The forces do not increase in a linear mode with length.
Old 26-05-2015, 10:36   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhand View Post
I would consider not being handy a death knoll, but the best way to decide if this is realistic for you is to get out there and start learning.

Agree. Solo sailing, you're 1000 miles from land and your framus breaks and the thingamajig jams. Who you gonna call? Coast Guard to come evacuate you?
Old 26-05-2015, 10:49   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Agree. Solo sailing, you're 1000 miles from land and your framus breaks and the thingamajig jams. Who you gonna call? Coast Guard to come evacuate you?
Ghostbusters.
Old 26-05-2015, 10:51   #10

On a more serious note, i'm not planning this trip in 6 months or anything like that.
If it takes 2+years for me to acquire the skills necessary to do a solo crossing, that's perfectly fine.
What kind of classes would you guys recommend me? Diesel motor maintenance, sailing classes, general mechanical stuff?
Old 26-05-2015, 12:53   #11

Re: Am I Realistic?

Save yourself 200k, minimise the risk of dying just fly to the surf spots and crash with other surfers. Your idea is more expensive and more risky than almost any other travel plan. Buy a Hobie cat and get some thrills sailing befor you ccontemplate this scheme any further.
Old 26-05-2015, 13:14   #12
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Sounds like a great idea (because it's the same as mine ) another foot and I'll be paddling over to this..
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1432667681.323921.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	102728
Old 26-05-2015, 13:36   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIforever View Post
On a more serious note, i'm not planning this trip in 6 months or anything like that.
If it takes 2+years for me to acquire the skills necessary to do a solo crossing, that's perfectly fine.
What kind of classes would you guys recommend me? Diesel motor maintenance, sailing classes, general mechanical stuff?
Again, why so set on doing this solo? Two heads are definitely better than one. Any idea what it's like to manage a boat for weeks by yourself? What's required to keep watch 24/7 and avoid running into: reefs, rocks, ships, other sailboats, land in general. Could you do this for a week or two or three if the self steering broke and you had to steer the boat 24/7?

But since you ask about skills

- diesel engine repair and maintenance, absolutely
- sailing? probably a good idea.
- general mechanical. absolutely, including:
plumbing
electrical, mainly 12V DC systems.
basic carpentry, metal working, rigging,
- you might want to learn some navigation. Bad idea to just turn on a GPS and let it be your brain.
Old 26-05-2015, 16:47   #14

Thanks for the replies guys, seems like the thread title 'Am i retarded?' would have been more appropriate.
I'm just going to fly to the destinations and hopefully in the mean time acquire the knowledge that is necessary to do serious solo crossings like the ones i was talking about.
And to the last guy who replied: i'm a lone wolf and don't know anyone that has sailing skills and has the free time to do such crossings.
Old 26-05-2015, 16:54   #15

Talking Re: Am I Realistic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Sounds like a great idea (because it's the same as mine ) another foot and I'll be paddling over to this..
Attachment 102728
Ha! That sounds awesome! Have you taken any steps towards accomplishing that goal? Any books/classes/training you would recommend that has been helpful to you?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: