Old 26-05-2015, 16:55   #16
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Re: Am i realistic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
I'll take the bait....

No you are not being realistic on a few fronts, but then again, EVERYONE that owns a cruising boat now out there "living the dream" what ever that means, was also told by almost everyone they asked that they were crazy and not being realistic! Hell I was by my entire family and circle of friends who most of them bet against me and still do to this day! What scared them and generates a great deal of the negativity is that if a Bozo like me (or you) can do it...what was their excuse!!

It's what I call the first real test or Cruiser Seriousness....can you accept being called Crazy, Unrealistic, Insane and still smile and go for it? Because if you can't....then you don't have a chance out at Sea, where attitude and determination trump people thinking you can't do it!
Amigo....you can't bomb out on the Cruiser Seriousness Test in less than 24hrs. This is what I'm talking about. What you are planning isn't some small 50% in 50% out task...it's an all in way of life. Sure some folks buy a boat on Monday and then cast off on Friday (I've seen plenty of those folks) while other plan this dream for 15-20yrs! So when you come aboard (welcome by the way) and appear to not realize the scope and seriousness of the adventure...well....you know.

We also get a post like yours once a week, of the dreamer wanting the forum members to tell him everything he needs to know in 500 words or less. Then when we ask more questions than answers...they vanish. It's why I started my answer with "I'll take the bait" because we go through this type of question quite frequently. If this is what you want to do....don't give up. Jump right in and start learning what it takes. Charter a boat...beg a forum buddy to take you out sailing....etc and get started!

SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 17:08   #17

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)
Re: Am I Realistic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlymn View Post
Save yourself 200k, minimise the risk of dying just fly to the surf spots and crash with other surfers. Your idea is more expensive and more risky than almost any other travel plan. Buy a Hobie cat and get some thrills sailing befor you ccontemplate this scheme any further.
This is a realistic plan.

Old 26-05-2015, 17:30   #18

Re: Am i realistic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Amigo....you can't bomb out on the Cruiser Seriousness Test in less than 24hrs. This is what I'm talking about. What you are planning isn't some small 50% in 50% out task...it's an all in way of life. Sure some folks buy a boat on Monday and then cast off on Friday (I've seen plenty of those folks) while other plan this dream for 15-20yrs! So when you come aboard (welcome by the way) and appear to not realize the scope and seriousness of the adventure...well....you know.

We also get a post like yours once a week, of the dreamer wanting the forum members to tell him everything he needs to know in 500 words or less. Then when we ask more questions than answers...they vanish. It's why I started my answer with "I'll take the bait" because we go through this type of question quite frequently. If this is what you want to do....don't give up. Jump right in and start learning what it takes. Charter a boat...beg a forum buddy to take you out sailing....etc and get started!
Wasn't expecting a quick response to give me all the answers lol, i know there's a lot more to it and was more informing about which classes/training to take.
What do you think about me getting experience in by sailing around in the Carribean? Given the islands are within close proximity of each other + great weather i think it makes sense to start in that region (obviously out of the hurricane season).
By the way i'm not a person who plans 15 years for stuff like this, that's crazy talk to me and if that's the preparation that is required for this lifestyle/ocean crossings, then i'm officially out because i don't have that type patience.
Old 26-05-2015, 18:32   #19
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIforever View Post
Ha! That sounds awesome! Have you taken any steps towards accomplishing that goal? Any books/classes/training you would recommend that has been helpful to you?

Well yeah, a lot! Since I was a kid I've loved sailing and surfing so it always been a dream to combine the two. There are a few yachts that do charters specifically for surf trips. Some (there's a guy on here that likes to surf around Indo) just ask for a share of the costs, maybe as low as $20 a day. A good way to try it out. Kite surfing is a good sport to get into to break things up when there's no waves as well. The Caribbean is pretty nice for kiting. There's usually a few crew wanted ads on here that are on surf trips as well so keep your eyes open for those and get a bit of sailing experience while you're at it. I think there's a catamaran heading from panama around now if you look back in some of the older posts there.
Cheers
Old 26-05-2015, 18:39   #20
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:

Basically my dream is to buy a used 40-50' catamaran for around 200-300K USD

I'd like to use the catamaran to solo sail around the world and stay at the world's best surf spots,

Here's the thing: I don't know the first thing about sailing, zero experience, zero knowledge, no mechanical knowledge etc.

Can i educate myself well enough to do a solo sailing trip from the Carribean to Fiji? Or is this unrealistic? How long would it take for me to gain the appropriate amount of knowledge to be able to do this kind of stuff.
Of course you can! Figure 2 weeks sailing time and go.

Asking if possible is asking to be told no!
Old 26-05-2015, 21:41   #21

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Hi guys and girls,

Basically my dream is to buy a used 40-50' catamaran for around 200-300K USD.
I'd like to use the catamaran to solo sail around the world and stay at the world's best surf spots, until the surf season ends in one region (Carribean/Atlantic for example) and i head over to the Pacific islands and stay there for a couple of months until the cycle repeats.
Here's the thing: I don't know the first thing about sailing, zero experience, zero knowledge, no mechanical knowledge etc.
Can i educate myself well enough to do a solo sailing trip from the Carribean to Fiji? Or is this unrealistic? How long would it take for me to gain the appropriate amount of knowledge to be able to do this kind of stuff.

And what about import taxes for boats? Are these import taxes only applicable if you plan to stay at the place forever or something? What about sailors who stay anchored for months on end at a specific spot but without staying there forever, do they have to pay an import tax?

Thanks in advance
Seems to work for La Vagabonde. Check them out on youtube.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 27-05-2015, 02:36   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Well yeah, a lot! Since I was a kid I've loved sailing and surfing so it always been a dream to combine the two. There are a few yachts that do charters specifically for surf trips. Some (there's a guy on here that likes to surf around Indo) just ask for a share of the costs, maybe as low as $20 a day. A good way to try it out. Kite surfing is a good sport to get into to break things up when there's no waves as well. The Caribbean is pretty nice for kiting. There's usually a few crew wanted ads on here that are on surf trips as well so keep your eyes open for those and get a bit of sailing experience while you're at it. I think there's a catamaran heading from panama around now if you look back in some of the older posts there.
Cheers
That's a coincidence i kitesurf too! Love kitesurfing by the way it's been too long since i've been on the water
Old 28-05-2015, 07:17   #23

would like some more advice
Old 28-05-2015, 07:29   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
would like some more advice
You're not going to like this advice

You noted you have two labradors. In my opinion taking a dog on a long term cruise is animal cruelty. First not all dogs will "do their business" on a boat. At least not until they have held onto it for several days (this is cruel).

Labs need a lot of excercise - just whre were you planning on giving them this while at sea? Don't tell me they can go swimming - you'll never get them back aboard in the waves.

So you'll need to make a choice - the dogs or your surfing dream (and many countries are not wildly excited about dogs arriving on boats read: quarantine)

As for the rest - if you realy want ot do this - start by learning how to sail. Join your local sailing club and ask to crew for someone. There is always someone looking for crew - if for nothing else then the wednesday evening races.

That way you can start to learn how to sail. Take classes to learn how to navigate and for repairing stuff - well take classes and ask people at the sailing club if you can help them fix their boats.
Old 28-05-2015, 10:51   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

You can do it. But how you do it depends on you and how dedicated you are to doing it. We bought a 42' boat not ever having owned a boat before. None, nada, zilch. I had taken some basic sailing classes and been rail meat on a few racers before that. And decided to buy a boat and figure it out.

It worked for us (my eager wife). But it took far more money than we budgeted. I got a full time job at a boat yard as an apprentice to learn about boats. I have always been moderately handy but self-taught with tools, motors, etc. But the boat yard put me over the top. You could do it without that but you will need to pick up the same basic skills.

Get ready for the biggest intimidation of your life. Worry about not knowing what you will need to know. Worry that you don't even understand the words you hear/read on sailing and sailboats. Worry about wrecking the boat. Worry about weather. Worry about others thinking you are crazy. We all worry about these things, or at least a fair number of us do, so you just have more worrying to do to catch up.

Go sailing on some boats. Ask questions like a little two-year old "why, why, why"..... Charter a boat for a week somewhere. Hand out at marinas and ask people how they got started and what the hard parts were.

So buy your boat and put an equal amount of money away in the bank for no other purpose than to use to prepare the boat. No drinking or eating with this money. Buy a good basic tool kit. Take as many classes as you can on diesels, outboards, sailing, plumbing, electrical wiring, navigation, etc. Long list. Start reading every magazine and book you can find. Get a West Marine catalog and start browsing through it (that'll probably kill the dream right there).

And then take baby steps. Take the boat out of the slip and put her back in. Drink a bottle of booze to calm your nerves and steady your legs after you do that the first of many times. Just motor around and get used to the boat under power and in different wind. Put up the sails and take them down. Winds are not often not good up here for sailing on any given day so we motored a lot, and still do. But that took the major fear out of that part of it. And we only had to worry about one subset of the boat to start with. We never really learned to sail until we went offshore actually.

But depending on how much you know to buy a boat with offshore equipment, you may find you now have to start adding on or upgrading stuff for going offshore. This is after you have fixed the broken stuff that you need for local sailing. That's where your boat kitty becomes really important - depending on how much "luxury" or "high tech" you want to go off.

But for whatever sake, talk to some people who sail with dogs before you go do any of this. Your dogs may hate you forever and you may hate either the dogs or the "sailing with dogs" forever.

But can you do it - sure you can but it will require a humongous effort and will. We just bought our second offshore boat and I am re-intimidated all over again. And I wish I still had a big prep kitty in the bank.
Old 28-05-2015, 13:57   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post

You noted you have two labradors. In my opinion taking a dog on a long term cruise is animal cruelty. First not all dogs will "do their business" on a boat. At least not until they have held onto it for several days (this is cruel).

Labs need a lot of excercise - just whre were you planning on giving them this while at sea? Don't tell me they can go swimming - you'll never get them back aboard in the waves.

So you'll need to make a choice - the dogs or your surfing dream (and many countries are not wildly excited about dogs arriving on boats read: quarantine)

As for the rest - if you realy want ot do this - start by learning how to sail. Join your local sailing club and ask to crew for someone. There is always someone looking for crew - if for nothing else then the wednesday evening races.

That way you can start to learn how to sail. Take classes to learn how to navigate and for repairing stuff - well take classes and ask people at the sailing club if you can help them fix their boats.
Anchor catamaran, get the dinghy out and let them swim for an hour each day.

What are the regulations of those countries? Just paying a fee for the dogs?
Old 28-05-2015, 14:11   #27
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Most countries are fine with dogs if they stay aboard. Some require fees for permits when you check in, most require vet checks and vaccination details if you want to take him on land. Our dog swims every day and is stoked to be a sailing dog. So far no problems with him and immigration throughout Europe and the Caribbean. The pacific may be a little more challenging from the paperwork side, but it's quite doable. Most countries vets are friendly and usually there's no charge for the inspections.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1432843888.103672.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	102844
Yep terrible cruelty..poor dog!
Old 28-05-2015, 14:13   #28

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Anchor catamaran, get the dinghy out and let them swim for an hour each day.

What are the regulations of those countries? Just paying a fee for the dogs?
You're going to need a really long rode to anchor at sea. Really long.

goat
Old 28-05-2015, 14:19   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post

Of course before doing such trips i will have trained my dogs to take a crap on the boat otherwise i wouldn't do it. And labs love water, so it isn't even close to animal cruelty. You can't keep them out of the water
Old 28-05-2015, 14:26   #30
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Am I Realistic?

Yep, when we take Balrog to the beach occasionally all he wants to do is jump back in the sea. His longest passage was 3 weeks at sea and he was fine. He taught himself to crap and pee on the trampoline and most of it just falls through for the fish. He also taught himself to climb the swim ladder so he jumps in and swims when he feels like it, so long as we give him permission first.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1432844781.049129.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	102845

Btw, there's 2 labs on the cat next to us and 2 labs on a mono next island down..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: