Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2016, 16:55   #76

Boat: Morgan, OutIsland, 41
Re: Am I overly cautious around water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post
Funny how most folks so angry about 'political correctness' are well to do white guys who've never been systemically, insidiously, and thoroughly marginalized.

You old cranks can keep whining about what a burden it is to be PC. The rest of us are going to keep considering how our words and actions profoundly affect others.

I'm so confused,,,,, I thought the old well to do white guys were the ones we were supposed to be systemically, insidiously, and thoroughly marginalizing.....

That is what it looks like has been happening for the last 25 years at least.

Boy you go to sleep one night the whole world changes the next day.

I gotta change the radio and tv stations I've been listening to.

Can you recommend some that don't systemically, insidiously, and thoroughly marginalize older well to do whites?

I'd like to see some for a change, the same old tune is getting old....
Thorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 17:08   #77

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinkybob View Post
Well in all honesty, guys like that do have it both ways on the internet. The insults, rude comments, smart ass mouth and macho bull would go right out the window face to face. I guarantee it.
That's not always the case, be careful.
There will always be those that hide behind a false sense of social responsibility while cowering in fear.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 18:40   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
That's not always the case, be careful.
There will always be those that hide behind a false sense of social responsibility while cowering in fear.
Actually, it is always the case. always.
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 22:34   #79

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Kenomac's right about some parts of the world. I can remember my first trip to Mexico, where there was lots of repairs going on. There w ill be big (VW Beetle size) holes in the sidewalk, not safety-taped around, just there. There were steps up or down, and sometimes a 3 ft. drop off. Funny about that: they expect you to pay attention and look out for yourself.

In Australia and NZ they are very much into the safety legislation. Some Australians think it is wonderful, but it does sap personal responsibility. In the name of safety, there is a great deal of encouragement to sign in with the Volunteer Marine Rescues, and give them a sailing plan for the duration of your outing. And they will radio you if you miss your check-in times, or phone you, and if no contact, commence a rescue plan. Different countries, different customs.

I am on the personal responsibility side of this discussion. For many reasons, I think it is way more free, and ultimately safer, for this old mutt to accept that she is responsible for herself, not someone else. I do have a safety harness, I do use it. But I don't determine that by wind strength. I determine it by what the combination of sea and rain conditions, (rain means slipperier hand holds). If I feel concerned, I wear it. Period. Ditto flotation in the dinghy.

I agree with Sea Dreaming that personal responsibility for one's safety should be left to the individual and his/her own assessment of a situation. Example, one time, when we were becalmed in the Pacific, in waters around 3000 ft. deep, I secured a line around my waist and went for a swim. I didn't want to see the boat start to sail away. The OP of this thread might have found that dangerous. I thought that since I float (once you are afloat, the depth of the water is irrelevant, and it's a psychological kick to me to swim in water many times deeper than swimming pool depths) , and swim quietlly, it would be okay, and it was.

Different people see risk differently. I had a stranger tell me he thought it was a scary idea being at sea in a "small" boat. I tried the freeway analogy, and he sort of "got it", that it is unfamiliar things that are scary to most of us.

Ann
Ann, that was so good... I just wanted it re-posted.
Old 09-08-2016, 22:58   #80
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
Ann, that was so good... I just wanted it re-posted.
Yeah, I liked it too.

Like Ann and Jim, we've left the safety net of the nanny states and prefer the freedom to make our own decisions regarding safety matters.

Most folks on this forum will never leave the yoke or understand what the rest of us are talking about, and will instead continue to preach the PC safety nonsense.

America is a nation consumed by excessive safety, fear, worry and political correctness. Sorry folks, but that's how we see it living in the US six months per year and able to compare with the rest of the world during the remaining six.

We go cruising to get away from all of that.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 23:26   #81

Boat: no boat any more

...I'm inclined to preach "on-board-common-safety-sense"...
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 23:35   #82

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Yeah, I liked it too.

Like Ann and Jim, we've left the safety net of the nanny states and prefer the freedom to make our own decisions regarding safety matters.

Most folks on this forum will never leave the yoke or understand what the rest of us are talking about, and will instead continue to preach the PC safety nonsense.

America is a nation consumed by excessive safety, fear, worry and political correctness. Sorry folks, but that's how we see it living in the US six months per year and able to compare with the rest of the world during the remaining six.

We go cruising to get away from all of that.
Yep, the number of people over here seeking cradle to grave spoon feedings is ridiculous. Unfortunately I only see it getting worse. There are still a few willing to take responsibility for themselves and are rewarded with success.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 23:43   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
In Australia and NZ they are very much into the safety legislation. Some Australians think it is wonderful, but it does sap personal responsibility.
After 18 years away, I am dreading being caught out by the nanny state laws. In regards to boating, I guess I will find out about some of the over zealous safety legislation when I go for my boaters licence
Old 09-08-2016, 23:59   #84

Boat: Custom sailing catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
The problem being that most people, in the US, & far too many western cultures, don't know what real danger is. Nor how to handle it, or themselves when dealing with it. So then avoidance of all of these truths has turned into a downward, perpetulating spiral.
And we all know who hypes & plays on & to these "fears".

Of course living where everything is already pre-pasturized, pre-packaged, pre-cooked, pre-thought & concluded, etc., etc. tends to isolate people even further from what's real. Even the good things in life, sadly. So it's a key factor in this as well.

But... unfortunately, it's unlikely this trend will change for the better soon.
Some of it is sensible. I am fine with laws about lifejackets and seat belts, and lights on boats, so I don't run into them.
But we do Interfere with natural selection a bit much in Western countries.
KJThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 01:04   #85

Personally, I'll raise a glass to all the Darwin Award candidates mentioned herein, Cheers Mate(s)!!

Enjoy it while you can!!
Zephyrcat229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 01:39   #86

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
After 18 years away, I am dreading being caught out by the nanny state laws. In regards to boating, I guess I will find out about some of the over zealous safety legislation when I go for my boaters licence
I can't legally take the helm of anything motor-driven ( on the water) in the state of Victoria....

Yet another reason why I will never bring my boat 'home'.
Old 10-08-2016, 01:50   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
I can't legally take the helm of anything motor-driven ( on the water) in the state of Victoria....

Yet another reason why I will never bring my boat 'home'.
I expect that both my Swedish "licence" and my Swedish VHF will not be worth the paper it's printed on once my boat is in Aus and I have gotten Vic rego for it. Also something is really wrong with the system when my Australian registration is not valid in Australia (maybe ok in NT?)
Old 10-08-2016, 02:25   #88

Boat: Westerly Sealord

In Victoria - at least- its simply a revenue harvesting exercise.

Bugger all to do with safety at sea.

I have no problem with a test to demonstrate that they know that port is left or whatever.

But it should be a 'one off' fee... not annual.

I had a lengthy discussion with a government functionary when it first came in... she said the annual fee was to pay for the cost of rescuing me...said I didn't need rescuing most years and that old ladies didn't have to pay an annual fee to fund the fire brigade to rescue their cats out of trees.... it went a bit down hill after that and ended with her sending me a few terabytes of info on discussion papers, the Act, the application of the Act etc etc to shut me up.....

I had a bit of more successful fun before that with 'foreign flag in Port Phillip' yacht registration issues involving two water police revenue men on a jet ski late on a very cold afternoon off Mornington. I won that one but did have to put on my full 'Pompous Arse Pommie' accent to pull it off.....'
Old 10-08-2016, 02:37   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
In Victoria - at least- its simply a revenue harvesting exercise.

Bugger all to do with safety at sea.

I have no problem with a test to demonstrate that they know that port is left or whatever.

But it should be a 'one off' fee... not annual.

I had a lengthy discussion with a government functionary when it first came in... she said the annual fee was to pay for the cost of rescuing me...said I didn't need rescuing most years and that old ladies didn't have to pay an annual fee to fund the fire brigade to rescue their cats out of trees.... it went a bit down hill after that and ended with her sending me a few terabytes of info on discussion papers, the Act, the application of the Act etc etc to shut me up.....

I had a bit of more successful fun before that with 'foreign flag in Port Phillip' yacht registration issues involving two water police revenue men on a jet ski late on a very cold afternoon off Mornington. I won that one but did have to put on my full 'Pompous Arse Pommie' accent to pull it off.....'
Ohh I now see the licence fee structure. I would have thought they could use the Vic rego as what pays for the rescue.

I'm relieved to see that my tender is exempt, but I guess that means I can't pack it in the car and take it somewhere a long way from the boat and go fishing
Old 10-08-2016, 03:09   #90
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Am I overly cautious around water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyrcat229 View Post
Personally, I'll raise a glass to all the Darwin Award candidates mentioned herein, Cheers Mate(s)!!

Enjoy it while you can!!

Hubris is a leading indicator of potential eligibility.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water