Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-08-2016, 07:38   #121

Boat: 41' yawl
Re: Am I overly cautious around water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorne View Post
I gotta change the radio and tv stations I've been listening to.

Can you recommend some that don't systemically, insidiously, and thoroughly marginalize older well to do whites?
Lol- you SERIOUSLY think old well to do white guys are marginalized in our culture? This reveals just how profoundly out of touch you are with what it is to be genuinely marginalized. Hint: its a lot more impactful than being bothered by a couple radio stations. We've got a real Marie Antoinette here. Still upset? Write to your senators, congressmen, ceos, and other 'well to do' folks about it.

You'll be in good company, the overwhelming majority will be white men. Its precisely the opposite of being 'marginalized', but you feel like a victim just because people are starting to notice that there's something broken here.

Old 13-08-2016, 09:22   #122
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post
Lol- you SERIOUSLY think old well to do white guys are marginalized in our culture? This reveals just how profoundly out of touch you are with what it is to be genuinely marginalized. Hint: its a lot more impactful than being bothered by a couple radio stations. We've got a real Marie Antoinette here. Still upset? Write to your senators, congressmen, ceos, and other 'well to do' folks about it.

You'll be in good company, the overwhelming majority will be white men. Its precisely the opposite of being 'marginalized', but you feel like a victim just because people are starting to notice that there's something broken here.

What does this have to do with the original post? You trying again to insult nearly half the the adult American population by making some dumb political statement?

Please get back on topic if possible for you to do so.

Thanks.

Old 13-08-2016, 09:45   #123
Coastal Cruiser.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lancer 30-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
What does this have to do with the original post? You trying again to insult nearly half the the adult American population by making some dumb political statement?

Thanks.
Half the American population is well to do white guys? HA HA HA HA HA
Old 14-08-2016, 10:04   #124

Boat: Alberg #0

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinkybob View Post
Half the American population is well to do white guys? HA HA HA HA HA
Right? It's only 31% in America. Perhaps he is confused because 65% of all American elected officials are white men?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...are-white-men/

but no need for "politically correct" solutions to that problem right?
Old 14-08-2016, 10:06   #125

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

I enjoy a certain amount of risk in my life, but I try to follow reasonable precautions. I'm sure some would say I'm a daredevil and some some would say I'm a chicken.

The other day a visitor commented on my lack of navigation aids because I don't have a chart plotter, but only compass, paper charts, Opencpn, radar, knotmeter, depth gauge, and gps. I wear a pfd and sometimes tether, especially when solo and ondeck. When entertaining novice guests, we all wear pfds. On land, we wear bike helmets and ski helmets (I keep extras for guests)... my rules change with the conditions, some are rigid, some fluid. IMO it's a matter of personal judgement.
Old 14-08-2016, 11:14   #126
Coastal Cruiser.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickpaul View Post
Right? It's only 31% in America. Perhaps he is confused because 65% of all American elected officials are white men?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...are-white-men/

but no need for "politically correct" solutions to that problem right?
I suppose thats possible. However since 77.1% of the population is white I don't see how its a race issue.
Old 14-08-2016, 11:36   #127
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Am I overly cautious around water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
I enjoy a certain amount of risk in my life, but I try to follow reasonable precautions. I'm sure some would say I'm a daredevil and some some would say I'm a chicken.

The other day a visitor commented on my lack of navigation aids because I don't have a chart plotter, but only compass, paper charts, Opencpn, radar, knotmeter, depth gauge, and gps. I wear a pfd and sometimes tether, especially when solo and ondeck. When entertaining novice guests, we all wear pfds. On land, we wear bike helmets and ski helmets (I keep extras for guests)... my rules change with the conditions, some are rigid, some fluid. IMO it's a matter of personal judgement.
Compass, Paper Charts, Nimble Navigator on Notebook, Speed/Depth and spare Laptop loaded with Nimble...
H/H GPS as back up.. Oh.. and VHF radio.
No Tether or PFD, Radar, AIS.. on land.. M/cycle helmet (by law) Bicycle helmet no...
Work within your personal limits/capabilities and the hell what others think..

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Click on de Pic 4 de Site^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 12:53   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinkybob View Post
I suppose thats possible. However since 77.1% of the population is white I don't see how its a race issue.
You really can't see how it is a race and sex issue when white men have over double the representation in politics they should have statistically, taking seats away from other racial minorities and women?
Old 14-08-2016, 12:59   #129
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Pickpaul,

Sarcasm follows:

Or maybe more women than men have the good sense not to associate with a bunch of crooks!

Anyhow, if you look at the rules again, you'll see that we agreed not to talk about political issues on CF.

Ann
Old 14-08-2016, 13:47   #130
Coastal Cruiser.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

as long as they are elected whats the problem? What other course of action do you propose to correct this injustice, as you see it? Ignore votes? Elect on skin color? Sex? Dictatorship? Monarchy? We have in office the people we elected as a majority, guess your side lost?
Old 14-08-2016, 14:05   #131

Boat: Tartan 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Work within your personal limits/capabilities and the hell what others think..

Boatie, made that same point a page or so back.

It is about what YOUR risk limits are.

Sent from my iPhone- please forgive autocorrect errors.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 14:14   #132

Boat: Anything entertaining.

Anyone ever look at the numbers on how many sailors drowned from falling overboard at sea, 20 or even 40 years ago? The numbers are very, very low, & yet everyone's a safety fanatic nowadays. Who benefits from that?

Have you ever tried going forward at night while clipped in, when there are a dozen lines on deck on each side of the mast. Pretty much, it's more dangerous doing it when tethered than not, especially if you need to get somewhere expediently.

Or what happens when there's an emergency at 3am, it's raining, & you've had 4hrs of sleep in 3 days? Quite frankly. Plenty of folks wind up on deck, at the mast or bow, half dressed, bare foot, sans harness or PFD.

How's that compare to water sking one's feet from the sugar scoop?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 14:20   #133
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Am I overly cautious around water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Anyone ever look at the numbers on how many sailors drowned from falling overboard at sea, 20 or even 40 years ago? The numbers are very, very low, & yet everyone's a safety fanatic nowadays. Who benefits from that?

Have you ever tried going forward at night while clipped in, when there are a dozen lines on deck on each side of the mast. Pretty much, it's more dangerous doing it when tethered than not, especially if you need to get somewhere expediently.

Or what happens when there's an emergency at 3am, it's raining, & you've had 4hrs of sleep in 3 days? Quite frankly. Plenty of folks wind up on deck, at the mast or bow, half dressed, bare foot, sans harness or PFD.

How's that compare to water sking one's feet from the sugar scoop?
The 'Pucker Factor's' a lot quicker these days... about 5mins after the wind goes over 20kts and 1.5 meter sea's..

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Click on de Pic 4 de Site^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 15:13   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Pickpaul,

Sarcasm follows:

Or maybe more women than men have the good sense not to associate with a bunch of crooks!

Anyhow, if you look at the rules again, you'll see that we agreed not to talk about political issues on CF.

Ann
or maybe childcare in the capital? :-)

Ok, I'll drop it then. I'll just kick back and enjoy the rest of the thread without the dreaded PC rant again.
Old 14-08-2016, 16:06   #135

Boat: 41' yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post

Thanks.
Its a fair point, very off topic here. But you'll see in none of my posts did i criticize half the american population, or even well to do white guys. Just the folks who happen to be carrying on about the 'burden' of political correctness despite not suffering from or even understanding systemic marginalization.

Tags
water

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: