Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2016, 16:55   #76
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Gulf Coast
Boat: Morgan, OutIsland, 41
Posts: 100
Re: Am I overly cautious around water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post
Funny how most folks so angry about 'political correctness' are well to do white guys who've never been systemically, insidiously, and thoroughly marginalized.

You old cranks can keep whining about what a burden it is to be PC. The rest of us are going to keep considering how our words and actions profoundly affect others.

I'm so confused,,,,, I thought the old well to do white guys were the ones we were supposed to be systemically, insidiously, and thoroughly marginalizing.....

That is what it looks like has been happening for the last 25 years at least.

Boy you go to sleep one night the whole world changes the next day.

I gotta change the radio and tv stations I've been listening to.

Can you recommend some that don't systemically, insidiously, and thoroughly marginalize older well to do whites?

I'd like to see some for a change, the same old tune is getting old....
__________________

__________________
Thorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 17:08   #77
cruiser

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Easton, MD
Boat: Catalina 22 Capri
Posts: 929
Re: Am I overly cautious around water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinkybob View Post
Well in all honesty, guys like that do have it both ways on the internet. The insults, rude comments, smart ass mouth and macho bull would go right out the window face to face. I guarantee it.
That's not always the case, be careful.
There will always be those that hide behind a false sense of social responsibility while cowering in fear.
__________________

__________________
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 18:40   #78
Coastal Cruiser.
 
uncle stinkybob's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: P.N.W.
Boat: Lancer 30-5
Posts: 618
Re: Am I overly cautious around water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
That's not always the case, be careful.
There will always be those that hide behind a false sense of social responsibility while cowering in fear.
Actually, it is always the case. always.
__________________
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 22:34   #79
Registered User
 
jkindredpdx's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Portland, OR, USA
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'
Posts: 997
Images: 5
Re: Am I overly cautious around water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Kenomac's right about some parts of the world. I can remember my first trip to Mexico, where there was lots of repairs going on. There w ill be big (VW Beetle size) holes in the sidewalk, not safety-taped around, just there. There were steps up or down, and sometimes a 3 ft. drop off. Funny about that: they expect you to pay attention and look out for yourself.

In Australia and NZ they are very much into the safety legislation. Some Australians think it is wonderful, but it does sap personal responsibility. In the name of safety, there is a great deal of encouragement to sign in with the Volunteer Marine Rescues, and give them a sailing plan for the duration of your outing. And they will radio you if you miss your check-in times, or phone you, and if no contact, commence a rescue plan. Different countries, different customs.

I am on the personal responsibility side of this discussion. For many reasons, I think it is way more free, and ultimately safer, for this old mutt to accept that she is responsible for herself, not someone else. I do have a safety harness, I do use it. But I don't determine that by wind strength. I determine it by what the combination of sea and rain conditions, (rain means slipperier hand holds). If I feel concerned, I wear it. Period. Ditto flotation in the dinghy.

I agree with Sea Dreaming that personal responsibility for one's safety should be left to the individual and his/her own assessment of a situation. Example, one time, when we were becalmed in the Pacific, in waters around 3000 ft. deep, I secured a line around my waist and went for a swim. I didn't want to see the boat start to sail away. The OP of this thread might have found that dangerous. I thought that since I float (once you are afloat, the depth of the water is irrelevant, and it's a psychological kick to me to swim in water many times deeper than swimming pool depths) , and swim quietlly, it would be okay, and it was.

Different people see risk differently. I had a stranger tell me he thought it was a scary idea being at sea in a "small" boat. I tried the freeway analogy, and he sort of "got it", that it is unfamiliar things that are scary to most of us.

Ann
Ann, that was so good... I just wanted it re-posted.
__________________
http://www.sednahr35.blogspot.com/ Jim K.
jkindredpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 22:58   #80
Senior Cruiser
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Mediterranean
Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter
Posts: 6,980
Re: Am I overly cautious around water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
Ann, that was so good... I just wanted it re-posted.
Yeah, I liked it too.

Like Ann and Jim, we've left the safety net of the nanny states and prefer the freedom to make our own decisions regarding safety matters.

Most folks on this forum will never leave the yoke or understand what the rest of us are talking about, and will instead continue to preach the PC safety nonsense.

America is a nation consumed by excessive safety, fear, worry and political correctness. Sorry folks, but that's how we see it living in the US six months per year and able to compare with the rest of the world during the remaining six.

We go cruising to get away from all of that.
__________________
Kenomac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 23:26   #81
Registered User
 
double u's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Austria
Posts: 548
Re: Am I overly cautious around water?

...I'm inclined to preach "on-board-common-safety-sense"...
__________________
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 23:35   #82
cruiser

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Easton, MD
Boat: Catalina 22 Capri
Posts: 929
Re: Am I overly cautious around water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Yeah, I liked it too.

Like Ann and Jim, we've left the safety net of the nanny states and prefer the freedom to make our own decisions regarding safety matters.

Most folks on this forum will never leave the yoke or understand what the rest of us are talking about, and will instead continue to preach the PC safety nonsense.

America is a nation consumed by excessive safety, fear, worry and political correctness. Sorry folks, but that's how we see it living in the US six months per year and able to compare with the rest of the world during the remaining six.

We go cruising to get away from all of that.
Yep, the number of people over here seeking cradle to grave spoon feedings is ridiculous. Unfortunately I only see it getting worse. There are still a few willing to take responsibility for themselves and are rewarded with success.
__________________
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 23:43   #83
Registered User
 
hoppy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40
Posts: 2,797
Re: Am I overly cautious around water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
In Australia and NZ they are very much into the safety legislation. Some Australians think it is wonderful, but it does sap personal responsibility.
After 18 years away, I am dreading being caught out by the nanny state laws. In regards to boating, I guess I will find out about some of the over zealous safety legislation when I go for my boaters licence
__________________
S/Y Jessabbé http://www.jessabbe.com/
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 23:59   #84
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: New Zealand
Boat: Custom sailing catamaran
Posts: 86
Re: Am I overly cautious around water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
The problem being that most people, in the US, & far too many western cultures, don't know what real danger is. Nor how to handle it, or themselves when dealing with it. So then avoidance of all of these truths has turned into a downward, perpetulating spiral.
And we all know who hypes & plays on & to these "fears".

Of course living where everything is already pre-pasturized, pre-packaged, pre-cooked, pre-thought & concluded, etc., etc. tends to isolate people even further from what's real. Even the good things in life, sadly. So it's a key factor in this as well.

But... unfortunately, it's unlikely this trend will change for the better soon.
Some of it is sensible. I am fine with laws about lifejackets and seat belts, and lights on boats, so I don't run into them.
But we do Interfere with natural selection a bit much in Western countries.
__________________
KJThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 01:04   #85
Registered User
 
Zephyrcat229's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PNW, headed for S.FLA
Posts: 47
Re: Am I overly cautious around water?

Personally, I'll raise a glass to all the Darwin Award candidates mentioned herein, Cheers Mate(s)!!

Enjoy it while you can!!
__________________
Zephyrcat229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 01:39   #86
Registered User
 
El Pinguino's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: South of Pto Eden, bound Pto Williams, ETA... June
Boat: 39' Westerly Sealord
Posts: 3,514
Re: Am I overly cautious around water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
After 18 years away, I am dreading being caught out by the nanny state laws. In regards to boating, I guess I will find out about some of the over zealous safety legislation when I go for my boaters licence
I can't legally take the helm of anything motor-driven ( on the water) in the state of Victoria....

Yet another reason why I will never bring my boat 'home'.
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 01:50   #87
Registered User
 
hoppy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40
Posts: 2,797
Re: Am I overly cautious around water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
I can't legally take the helm of anything motor-driven ( on the water) in the state of Victoria....

Yet another reason why I will never bring my boat 'home'.
I expect that both my Swedish "licence" and my Swedish VHF will not be worth the paper it's printed on once my boat is in Aus and I have gotten Vic rego for it. Also something is really wrong with the system when my Australian registration is not valid in Australia (maybe ok in NT?)
__________________
S/Y Jessabbé http://www.jessabbe.com/
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 02:25   #88
Registered User
 
El Pinguino's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: South of Pto Eden, bound Pto Williams, ETA... June
Boat: 39' Westerly Sealord
Posts: 3,514
Re: Am I overly cautious around water?

In Victoria - at least- its simply a revenue harvesting exercise.

Bugger all to do with safety at sea.

I have no problem with a test to demonstrate that they know that port is left or whatever.

But it should be a 'one off' fee... not annual.

I had a lengthy discussion with a government functionary when it first came in... she said the annual fee was to pay for the cost of rescuing me...said I didn't need rescuing most years and that old ladies didn't have to pay an annual fee to fund the fire brigade to rescue their cats out of trees.... it went a bit down hill after that and ended with her sending me a few terabytes of info on discussion papers, the Act, the application of the Act etc etc to shut me up.....

I had a bit of more successful fun before that with 'foreign flag in Port Phillip' yacht registration issues involving two water police revenue men on a jet ski late on a very cold afternoon off Mornington. I won that one but did have to put on my full 'Pompous Arse Pommie' accent to pull it off.....'
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 02:37   #89
Registered User
 
hoppy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40
Posts: 2,797
Re: Am I overly cautious around water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
In Victoria - at least- its simply a revenue harvesting exercise.

Bugger all to do with safety at sea.

I have no problem with a test to demonstrate that they know that port is left or whatever.

But it should be a 'one off' fee... not annual.

I had a lengthy discussion with a government functionary when it first came in... she said the annual fee was to pay for the cost of rescuing me...said I didn't need rescuing most years and that old ladies didn't have to pay an annual fee to fund the fire brigade to rescue their cats out of trees.... it went a bit down hill after that and ended with her sending me a few terabytes of info on discussion papers, the Act, the application of the Act etc etc to shut me up.....

I had a bit of more successful fun before that with 'foreign flag in Port Phillip' yacht registration issues involving two water police revenue men on a jet ski late on a very cold afternoon off Mornington. I won that one but did have to put on my full 'Pompous Arse Pommie' accent to pull it off.....'
Ohh I now see the licence fee structure. I would have thought they could use the Vic rego as what pays for the rescue.

I'm relieved to see that my tender is exempt, but I guess that means I can't pack it in the car and take it somewhere a long way from the boat and go fishing
__________________
S/Y Jessabbé http://www.jessabbe.com/
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 03:09   #90
Registered User
 
Snore's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: St Petersburg
Boat: Tartan 33
Posts: 1,699
Am I overly cautious around water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyrcat229 View Post
Personally, I'll raise a glass to all the Darwin Award candidates mentioned herein, Cheers Mate(s)!!

Enjoy it while you can!!

Hubris is a leading indicator of potential eligibility.
__________________

__________________
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
water

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Battery Water; Distilled Drinking Water vs. Deionized Battery Water ErikFinn Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 33 09-08-2013 06:50
Lifespan of Hearing Aids Around Salt Water LiveLife76 Health, Safety & Related Gear 29 24-02-2012 22:28
Fresh Water, Gray Water and Black Water Holding Tanks vweber Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 8 12-05-2010 16:31
Avoiding condensation around water tanks pir8ped Construction, Maintenance & Refit 1 20-01-2009 07:53


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 13:47.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.