Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2016, 08:20   #31

Re: Am I overly cautious around water?

The OP should not search google for "free climbing buildings"

I've been getting vertigo just finding these photos
Old 08-08-2016, 08:53   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Honestly, how do any of you have any enjoyment in your apparently dull worrisome lives. There's risk in everything, driving a car, crossing the street, eating too much, walking down stairs, running with scissors, and sailing etc.

I'm surprised you're not overcome by worry about the lithium battery in your computer or cell phone blowing up in your face. Jeez.... Start enjoying life. Quit worrying, so much.....we'll all be dead eventually.

To be worried about what other people do is just plain weird IMHO.
Honestly, why are you so worried over what they are worried about that you would cast negative dispersion on Americans? or the way any of the above posters chose to live their own lives? As dull and worrisome as they may seem to you. Maybe you should relax, chill, stop making crappy comments.
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:01   #33

True Story!

I lived on my sailboat, the Jubilee, at a marina in Titusville - often visited by the 32' Choy Lee named "Bud and Helen".

Bud and Helen were a much older couple who sailed across the Gulf of Mexico to visit in Central America and South America.

One evening they told us this story: '

'We were in the middle of the Gulf and be-calmed. Helen decided to take a swim and dove overboard." Suddenly Helen looked at Bud up at the helm and said, 'Bud, you wouldn't leave me out here, would you?'"
ardenlester00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:07   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

The other day, I saw some folks get in a hunk of metal and make it go 80 MPH, about five feet away from some other folks, whom they did not even know, who were also going 80 MPH, in a hunk of metal!

Sometimes, I think if cars had not been invented, years ago, and we had not already become accustomed to them, they would not now be permitted.

Driving on a freeway...probably the most dangerous thing we ever do, particularly if we have a bottle, can, or phone in our hand. But, most people don't think twice about it.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:08   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Alerion Express 38 Yawl (former)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
What I do find astonishing is motor boats with kids sitting on the bow dangling feet over the anchor as the boat is moving along. One slip and they will be under the boat and in the prop.

Pete
+1.

No question about it. This terrifies me more than just about anything I see on the water. As boats head out of our harbor with nice kids dangling their legs over the bow, I want to call out to their parents and remind them that it's really, fundamentally dangerous thing to do. Fast, fatal, and ugly. As I recall, about 30 boaters per year die due to propeller strikes, but interestingly it's more common to back over a swimmer when departing from a beach.

Chuck
Chuck Hawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:14   #36

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
In the berth next to me at a marina, there was a Danish couple and whenever the wife left the cockpit to clean the deck or whatever, she wore her lifejacket. At first I thought she simply hadn't taken it off after returning to the marina, but then I kept seeing her wearing it on other days when they had not left.

Now that is cautious.... or perhaps just scared of water.
Or perhaps she doesn't know how to swim...

A few winters ago a young lady was walking the docks asking if anyone had seen her father. I had talked to him a few days earlier. We were both working on our boats in the marina with few people around. The best we figured out was that the man probably fell overboard and floated down stream never to be found. The same year a member of the "Christmas Ships" flotilla fell in while peeing off the end of a finger and drown.

Since then, when I'm bundled up in winter clothes and working alone on deck, I might toss on a PFD. I know the guys working the Astoria hoist were required to wear a PFD when lifting boats...
Old 08-08-2016, 09:55   #37

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
What I do find astonishing is motor boats with kids sitting on the bow dangling feet over the anchor as the boat is moving along. One slip and they will be under the boat and in the prop.

Pete
Spot on! We see that crap on the Gulf here in west/central Florida and it just makes you want to chase them down and educate them!!

Dipsh-ts!!!
Old 08-08-2016, 11:57   #38

Two friends lost their spouses(males) while transiting between Hawaii and the west coast. One was lost in a storm. One just disappeared. 40+ foot sailboats, experienced sailors. Caution is for those who want to stay alive.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:24   #39

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Is not the reason that some of us sail related to the desire to rid ourselves of regulation related to other people's intolerance of risk, and to live according to our own standards at least while at sea? That said, my choice is to avoid unnecessary risk except if I feel like it. I am an adult human being, not a robot or a bureaucrat, although I try to live by law and regulation when in Rome or Los Angeles, I live by my own standards when I am not.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:29   #40

Boat: a sailing boat

Caution in sailing is essential and sitting on the scoop without a leash is plainly stupid.

Sitting on the scoop with GoPros filming and makeing it look like you are sailing is stupid and misleading.

If you want to kill yourself go ahead it is a free country BUT pls do not make it look like this is what sailing is all about because it is not.

One has as much fun sitting on the scoop while leashed to the boat.

OP is NOT overly cautious. One cannot be overly cautious. But one can be completely dead.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:32   #41

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

I can now usually tell when I am doing something dangerous...aka stupid.

But remember being in my 20's with my friends doing stupid things. Back then I could not tell.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 15:16   #42

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Caution in sailing is essential and sitting on the scoop without a leash is plainly stupid.

Sitting on the scoop with GoPros filming and makeing it look like you are sailing is stupid and misleading.

If you want to kill yourself go ahead it is a free country BUT pls do not make it look like this is what sailing is all about because it is not.

One has as much fun sitting on the scoop while leashed to the boat.

OP is NOT overly cautious. One cannot be overly cautious. But one can be completely dead.

b.
Yes, Overly Cautious is a Hyper-Infectious, Insidious, Creeping, Disease. Like Political Correctness. And it CAN (& is) easily be overdone.

As if you're thinking about safety all of the time, & playing "What If" before you make any move, you're NOT living in the moment. And that categorically takes away from life's pleasures at times.

Think about a child grows up with risk averse parents like that. They play on foam padded playground equipment, while wearing a helmet, padding & body armor. Or wear slash resistant Kevlar clothing to school. And they've never had a bloody nose, or scraped knee. Haven't been in a situation where they had to stand up for themselves, as someone was always hovering over them to prevent such situations. And even in college they, talk to Mommy & Daddy 15x/day. Literally.

Well, such people exist, & soon they will be Societies Decision Makers. As in Running our Planet.
Are you really looking forward to that?

Frankly it both makes me sick, & scares me silly.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 15:29   #43
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Yes, Overly Cautious is a Hyper-Infectious, Insidious, Creeping, Disease. Like Political Correctness. And it CAN (& is) easily be overdone.

As if you're thinking about safety all of the time, & playing "What If" before you make any move, you're NOT living in the moment. And that categorically takes away from life's pleasures at times.

Think about a child grows up with risk averse parents like that. They play on foam padded playground equipment, while wearing a helmet, padding & body armor. Or wear slash resistant Kevlar clothing to school. And they've never had a bloody nose, or scraped knee. Haven't been in a situation where they had to stand up for themselves, as someone was always hovering over them to prevent such situations. And even in college they, talk to Mommy & Daddy 15x/day. Literally.

Well, such people exist, & soon they will be Societies Decision Makers. As in Running our Planet.
Are you really looking forward to that?

Frankly it both makes me sick, & scares me silly.

Let the sissies pile on you too.

Now.... where'd I put my flying squirrel suit?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 15:30   #44

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

I sail solo a lot and don't even have a tether. No roller furling either.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 15:32   #45

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

The WHO reports about 370,000 drowning deaths a year. They also say that accounts for 7% of accidental deaths. So there are 93% chances something else will happen.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water