Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2018, 19:18   #1

Question Am I crazy to buy a boat on the east coast when I live in Southern California?

I found what looks to be a good deal on a cruising sailboat that is a design I'm familiar with that could be perfect for me to take long distance cruising. Yay!

The problem is that the boat is on the east coast and I'm on the west coast and if I bought it then I probably wouldn't be able to permanently leave So Cal until the end of this year. So that would be 8 to 10 months of leaving the boat rotting in the water unattended - with the possibility of it getting nailed by a hurricane.

I'm thinking the wisest and hopefully cheapest plan (I'm not rich) would be to pull it out of the water and store it in a boat yard until I return at the end of the year.

What do you think about that plan? Am I crazy to do this? I'm open to any suggestions, please.

Thanks!
magentawave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 19:44   #2

Re: Am I crazy to buy a boat on the east coast when I live in Southern California?

Hire boat sitter, or bring the boat to So Cal and stay in So Cal.
cpt_757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 19:50   #3

Re: Am I crazy to buy a boat on the east coast when I live in Southern California?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt_757 View Post
Hire boat sitter, or bring the boat to So Cal and stay in So Cal.
Maybe years from now after I've cruised the Caribbean and South Pacific I'll bring it to So Cal but it can't be trailered across the US (it's a multihull). What's wrong with putting it on the hard?
magentawave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 19:56   #4

Boat: Mauritius 43 Sloop

As a CA guy who's lived out east the last couple of years, I don't think there's anything crazy about buying a boat out east. The variety and prices on boats on the East Coast, especially Florida, are much better than California. There are also more harbors and cheap backwaters to store your boat.

That comes with a lot of downsides, however. Precipitation, Humidity and, of course, tropical storms.

Un-cared for boats here die MUCH faster here than in California.

I'd say wait until you have the time and money to simply move out and take care of the boat yourself. There are a lot of fish in the sea. Unless it's a truly unique deal, you can probably find a nice boat in another 10 months when you're ready to take on a project.

Don't underestimate the amount of work it will be to get your new boat into real cruising shape, especially if you're a neophyte. I fix boats for a living and I'm two months into a full-time refit and all I'm doing are electrical/mechanical. If your boat needs structural work involving fiberglass/carpentry/paint, you're in for it.
atmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 20:10   #5

Boat: 45 Leopard- Had a 42 Leopard- Sunk by Irma

Quote:
Originally Posted by magentawave View Post
Maybe years from now after I've cruised the Caribbean and South Pacific I'll bring it to So Cal but it can't be trailered across the US (it's a multihull). What's wrong with putting it on the hard?
If you know the model and it's the right boat at the right price in the location you are going to end up at, I'd strongly consider what you are talking about. I'd have it in the water so you can take a week or more and go sail her before hurricane season. that way, you know what needs to be done before cruising, then haul her for the hurricane season, and launch again and go. Time goes so fast, it will be here before you know it. Plus, there's no guarantee you'll find another when the timing is more convenient.
LLizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 22:40   #6

Quote:
I found what looks to be a good deal on a cruising sailboat that is a design I'm familiar with that could be perfect for me to take long distance cruising. Yay!

The problem is that the boat is on the east coast and I'm on the west coast and if I bought it then I probably wouldn't be able to permanently leave So Cal until the end of this year. So that would be 8 to 10 months of leaving the boat rotting in the water unattended - with the possibility of it getting nailed by a hurricane.

I'm thinking the wisest and hopefully cheapest plan (I'm not rich) would be to pull it out of the water and store it in a boat yard until I return at the end of the year.

What do you think about that plan? Am I crazy to do this? I'm open to any suggestions, please.

Thanks!
The East coast is a long area and hurricanes are more of a southern problem.

It would seem to make sense to keep the boat on the hard.

Depending where that is you might need to have an ability on board to prevent mildew. In a colder area the boat would need to be winterized.

Generally ashore should be cheaper and more secure. Insurance should also be cheaper out of the water for the time of storage.
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 05:05   #7

Are you crazy? Almost certainly so. We are ALL almost certainly so, or we wouldn't be so committed to boats and boating!

On the other hand, storing a boat on the hard is not a completely crazy thing, in and of itself. Lots of snowbirds store their boats either in the water or on the hard, in Florida, for 5-6 months of every year. You are only extending that period by a relatively short amount. And the truth is a lot of those snowbirds don't get down every year, so there are times when their boats sit for well over a year between visits.

That said, it would be smarter -- in my opinion -- to wait and buy a boat when you are ready to come over here and take care of it yourself. As mentioned, a boat will age quicker here than it would in Southern California; even more so if it is stored in the water.

On the other hand, if the boat you want is really so unusual that waiting is not a realistic option, then you will have to take that into consideration. Perhaps it is worth it to spend the money and take the risk with storing it for a year or so. Were I to make that decision myself, I would at least try very hard to find someone who could check on the boat every month or so for me. Perhaps when you make arrangements for storing it you could find someone at the yard, give them a very big tip, and ask them to keep an eye on it and let you know if anything happens that you should know about.

Good luck!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 05:14   #8

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

I don't think its crazy. Store it on the hard if you can. See if you can make a friend here on CF (or maybe you know someone) who lives close enough and doesn't mind checking on it once in a while for you. I'd do it if it was near me. If it was in the water I'd fire up the engine and whatnot too !
OldManMirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 06:48   #9

Boat: 53' Cutter

If living on the west coast and buying a boat on the east coast makes you crazy, I must be more crazy than you. Not only did I buy a boat that far away from me, it was also in another country! (and it had to sit for 7 months before I could get to it.)

Just have it hauled out. Open all of the doors, drawers, cabinets, and bilge spaces. Have the yard check on it every month until you get there.

If you are worried about hurricanes, get insurance.
SailsWithFists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 07:56   #10

Boat: Catalina 320

Quote:
Wouldn't a couple trips for inspection and purchase plus storage/insurance/taxes negate the "good deal" part ?
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 08:26   #11

Boat: Outbound 44

If it's the right boat then I wouldn't let the east coast storage be an issue. Take some time off in the summer and use the boat enough to decide what work needs to happen and move the boat to a good storage area. If you are going to the boat at the end of the year, moving the boat south will make it much more practical.
A couple of places to check for storage: Deltaville, VA, Brunswick, GA, Ft. Pierce, FL
Old 23-03-2018, 08:49   #12

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

Perhaps even the person you're buying it from would be willing to check on the boat for you every month or so, assuming they live near the boat. Plus, you can always grab a cheap flight every 3 months to check on it yourself and mess about for a few days with boat stuff on your new boat. I don't think much will deteriorate in 8 to 10 months on the hard, but try to remove anything like sails, canvas, lines etc. as UV takes its toll on them.
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 09:48   #13

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:

Thanks!
If you're hell bent to buy her put her on the hill. Where is she and what are the plans after the new year? Long distance crui9sing is somewhat vague. I wouldn't worry about checking her if on the hill. A good boat yard will keep an eye on her and have controlled access to the yard. Good luck.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 09:57   #14

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

That is what insurance is for. Put her in a yard with a good reputation and pay your premiums on time.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 10:02   #15

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

From our home in Oregon we have purchased a vessel on the Great Lakes sight unseen. Some deals are just too good to pass up. Ours turned out to be a great experience. If the boat you think of purchasing happens to be a wooden boat, then no, I would be hesitant to leave it unattended whether hauled or floating but with honest representation, someone to keep an eye on it etc. I think it is a reasonable gamble if you want to start your sailing life on the east coast.

Personally I hate Panama or at least the Canal Zone experience and so would completely exhaust the potential used boat offerings in Washington, Oregon and BC.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, cal, california, east coast