Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-10-2016, 20:36   #1

Boat: Mustang 3200 LE
Am I biting off are then I can chew

Reading a similar post to what I am about to ask has given me some food for thought.

I am planing on a trip next year from FP to Aust from May next year. I have just bought a Beneteau 473 2003 model in good shape, but have little (well at this very point no) experience on her. I do have some sailing experience when I owned a Catalina 28 and all that saying was in the local area (read comfort zone). I do have a RYA Coastal Skippers cert so the actual sailing is not the concern. But I would certainly put myself in the category of novice as far as overall experience goes considering I sold the Catalina over 10 years ago.

I will have my wife and two young kids 7 and 10 and plan to do the trip in 6 months. But we are not pressured on time as we are prepared to leave the boat in Fiji or Vanuatu if we do run out of time. I believe you must leave the Cooks by cyclone season too so we must at least make Fiji.

So, not being overly familiar with the boat and having no blue water passage experience, am I biting off more then I can chew?
Toph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 01:06   #2
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Am I biting off are then I can chew

Everybody starts somewhere. You may be biting off more than your wife can chew. She will be burdened with child care, education, household duties, and watch standing. You'll want to take up the slack, but ultimately, you're going to mainly be singlehanding. If your finances extend to it, consider a "nanny" for the trip, so that your good lady wife can enjoy the trip: there's some lovely sailing to be had, and the kids can help with daytime watchkeeping after the schooling's done.

Ann & Jim, U.S. s/v Insatiable II, SE Qld, for a while
Ann T. Cate is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: