And red means.

Old 10-09-2010, 08:11   #17
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Red on white - trawling light
Green on white - catch fish they might

Old 10-09-2010, 08:33   #18

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
Usually fishing crews split the profits so there are no extra hands on board to stand watch, everyone is working. Best to stay clear of them.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:45   #19

Boat: Island Yachts Peterson 34 GREYHAWK
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskip View Post
And red means.
Yeah, re-reading the opening post more carefully, it is seems that the poster was in the wrong and the shrimp boat in the right, regardless of whether the shrimp boat was engaged in fishing.

If you see the red running light of another boat coming at you in a crossing situation, that means HE is the stand-on vessel and YOU are supposed to give right of way (red means stop, green means go). The fact that the OP was in the marked channel and the shrimp boat not only matters if the OP was constrained by his draft to only be in the channel, which is not clear but doesn't sound like it was the case. I'm also assuming that the OP was under power and not sail. Did the OP consider that the shrimp boat spotlighting them might have been a signal to watch where they were going?
Catamount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 09:10   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Lets not get the facts confused. The shrimper did not spotlight the vessel as far as I understand. I have sailed in that area, sometimes outside the channel is full of pipes and other obstructions. I cannot see how the shrimper would have been working. Galveston bay is too shallow. He must of just been going out. The OP saw him before and after- no other light than the red one. If there had been a collision, the commercial boat would have had alot of explaining to do...
BTW- if the moon had set, and there was only one small red light, I could see not seeing him till he was almost on me too.
Lets give the guy a break
Old 10-09-2010, 09:29   #21
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Red on white - trawling light
Green on white - catch fish they might
Actually, AI bassakward's it...

Green on white - trawling light
Red on white - catch fish they might
Old 10-09-2010, 10:27   #22

Boat: C&C Mega 30
The local (i.e. Seattle, WA) paper did this story a while back about the "deadliest catch" being statistically safer than the commercial fishing in the gulf. Them folks down in the Gulf actually had more deaths than the crab fishers in the Bearing Sea.

I can only assume this is due to carelessness.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:25   #23

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
Ok some clarification is apparently in order.

I was inbound in the channel well to the correct side. The entrance is hugely back lit from restaurant row so seeing ANY running lights is difficult hense our cautious speed.

Several properly lit shrimpers had passed us already, outbound in the channel were one would expect them to be, moving at a speed I would have considered appropriate for conditions which were pitch black and only slightly choppy, wind maybe 10knots right on their bow.

The shrimper in question came from outside the channel from my port side at a high rate of speed. His engine was clearly audible turning high revs as he passed after I took evasive action. There were no other lights visible on the boat even as he got further away. No stern light and not even a glimmer of a green and no steaming lights(higher on the masts facing forward) like on all the other shrimpers that passed us.

At the speed he was moving there is not the slightest chance he was fishing and he crossed the channel at almost right angle TO the channel.

The boat that spot lighted us was an inbound crew boat(not the shrimper in question) who upon reaching our position in the channel kindly chopped power to avoid hammering us with his wake.

My best guess is the shrimper was late getting up and out the door and left the wheel, got outside the channel somehow and was trying to get back in the channel when he passed us.

These are bay shrimpers and do fish the shallow waters of Galveston Bay not out in the gulf. They are largely (but not excusively) Vietnamese and many (not all) of their boats are in deplorable condition. Dirty, rusty, unpainted, and with a local reputation for being willing to bend or break the rules both of safety and the Fisheries Dept.

They are constantly being fined for infractions from dumping sewage to illegal fishing activities and are the least courtious boats on the ClearLake channel regularly deliberately turning in front of pleasure boats knowing full well we will take action to avoid running into them.

I was a commercial fisherman for a few years and have a pretty good idea of the rules we had to follow and how some pleasure boaters just don't understand that we can't manuver easily.

This particular occurance was none of these.

As for my watch keeping? Here are a couple of points. 4:30am has no bearing on anything. I have as much right or reason to be on the water as any other boat.

I was carefully approaching a brightly back lit channel entrance and this boat came, mostly unlit (but backlit), from outside the channel, an shallow, piling strewn area, that even the most swivel headed helms man would not have expected.

My boat should have been easily seen by the shrimper, correctly lit as it was, with a starless (overcast) black sky and unlit horizon behind me, had he been at the wheel.

I agree he was the stand on boat which, other than the fear of being runover at night in a busy channel, was the major reason I changed course to avoid him.

Right or wrong rules wise, this guy was operating an unsafe vessel, in an unsafe manner, at inappropriate speed for conditions and location.

I got lucky I didn't get hit and am thankful for that............m
Old 10-09-2010, 11:38   #24
cruiser

cantxsailor, did you file a report?

If you didn't, it's gonna be someone else's problem and perhaps their life
Old 10-09-2010, 11:52   #25

Boat: Island Yachts Peterson 34 GREYHAWK
Thanks for the clarifications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantxsailor View Post
I agree he was the stand on boat which, other than the fear of being runover at night in a busy channel, was the major reason I changed course to avoid him.
OK, I guess from your initial post I somehow had the impression that you were complaining that he didn't yield to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantxsailor View Post
Right or wrong rules wise, this guy was operating an unsafe vessel, in an unsafe manner, at inappropriate speed for conditions and location.
No disagreement from me!
Catamount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 12:43   #26

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
Unfortunately by the time I got my boat squared away and avoided the next channel marker the cuprit was to far away to get an ID.

These occurances are so common in this channel even in daylight that I'm surprised that the local authorities haven't done something about the few shrimpers who seem to delight in bad/discourtious/dangerous behaviour.

I have seen enough stupid things done by the local pleasure boaters that to some extent I can understand the shrimpers being angry but thats still no excuse for dangerous retaliatory actions. Road rage on the channel is not needed.........m
Old 10-09-2010, 13:30   #27

Boat: Catalina 30
Martin, If you think that was bad, you should have been out on Labor Day weekend. You had the shrimpers and the two weekends pre/year boaters. It was like boating dodge ball.
"Journey"
Old 10-09-2010, 13:44   #28
cruiser

Or I can tell you about coming into port at around 6am up NE and having a power boater/sport fisher come out of the channel going around 20-30 kts - everyone drinking beer including the captain!
Old 10-09-2010, 13:45   #29

Boat: Maxum 37'
I would have thought the channel would be safe, but apparently not. Thanks for the heads up. On the radio, (I speak Vietnamese), I hear them discussing where is the warden and how to best avoid him. In Vietnam the fishermen are the lowest in their society in education, etc... They are one step above crook and begger. Best to steer clear and not be surprised at any behavier.
Old 10-09-2010, 14:50   #30
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
ok i was sailing in gthe gulf for a while and i learned a few rules of shrimpers ...
they are not going to turn of veer or move for you. they are always shrim0ing--they are steel. they have drag nets. STAY AWAY. they use either NO lights or TOO MANY white lights--looking like a tug n tow. STAY WAY AWAY.
they donot use radio nor answer same--many donot speak english..some are vietnamese--have fun!!!! STAY AWAY.
when one finally does speak on radio--is doing his best imitation of tug boat captain, and ..STAY AWAY....

whether is the rule of gross tonnage, which is an excellent one to follow, or one of survival, i found the shrimpers do have more right of way than sailboats. the ships have more right of way than sailboats. sailboats are slow--dont get in the way of working boats or ships of any kind. we lose every time. TAKING a right of way is as bad as refusing to yield right of way in any situation.
always avoid. is safer that way. at anchor, unless is a protected anchorage, always have an anchor watch ...those arent just for dragging anchor, as some folks think..

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: