Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2019, 19:02   #1
cruiser

Boat: Westsail 42
All About Anchors

I've heard rumblings of a best anchor for this and the best anchor for that but, is there really a best overall anchor? Doesn't it depend on circumstance?

What anchors your bow? How much chain? How much rode? Sizes?

And what about those stern anchors? Are they really necessary?

What do you think?

Razoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 20:10   #2

Boat: Big C Marine, 15 metre Catamaran
Re: All About Anchors

I know this is an unhelpful reply, but I have to assume you're bored and want to poke the wasp's nest.

I'm not going to take this thread too seriously.

However, I hate to make totally useless posts, so I'll tell you mine.

Primary: Spade S200, 80 metres of 10mm chain, 60 metres rode.

Secondary: 30kg Bruce anchor, 20m chain, 80m rode.

Third anchor: Large aluminum Viking (similar to Fortress).

Cheers.
Paul.

GRIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 20:11   #3

Boat: Rafiki 37

Well, this question has been discussed to death. There is no answer everyone agrees with. However, I will give you my answer.

Extensive evidence, both from controlled tests and anecdotal experience, indicates the newer spade-style (new-gen) anchors are the best overall performers. Anchors like Spade, Rocna, Manson, Mantus, and a few others.

Rode. Most cruisers (people who anchor in a wide range of areas and conditions) favour all-chain rode. Some boats cannot carry all-chain due to weight. And there are benefits to rope/chain as well. All-chain seems to be the most versatile rode.

As to anchor size, my view (which is not supported by everyone) is to get the largest spade-style anchor your crew and your boat can reasonably manage. By this I mean big, but not so big it is overly taxing on your crew or the boat (windlass, roller, storage system, etc.) such that it becomes overly difficult to deploy and retrieve.

Some here prefer a more specific answer. For that I would turn to the tables provided by the various anchor manufacturers.
Old 03-05-2019, 20:26   #4

Boat: SJ 21

Thanks Mike. That is the best reply to the “what’s the best anchor” question I have ever read on this forum.
majones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 20:35   #5

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

So if you do a search of "anchor" and "anchors" here you will find many excellent threads regarding the topic. Since we rely on anchors to keep us alive, and many have used one style or another with success for years, emotions can run strong. The best threads in MY humble opinion are this one
Photos of Anchors Setting
and this one:
Videos of Anchors Setting

As far as stern anchors, my own opinion is that a cruising boat must be prepared with a stern anchor, sufficient rode, roller, easily deployed and all fully up to the task, even if it is not typically used.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 20:53   #6

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Well, this question has been discussed to death. There is no answer everyone agrees with. However, I will give you my answer.

Extensive evidence, both from controlled tests and anecdotal experience, indicates the newer spade-style (new-gen) anchors are the best overall performers. Anchors like Spade, Rocna, Manson, Mantus, and a few others.

Rode. Most cruisers (people who anchor in a wide range of areas and conditions) favour all-chain rode. Some boats cannot carry all-chain due to weight. And there are benefits to rope/chain as well. All-chain seems to be the most versatile rode.

As to anchor size, my view (which is not supported by everyone) is to get the largest spade-style anchor your crew and your boat can reasonably manage. By this I mean big, but not so big it is overly taxing on your crew or the boat (windlass, roller, storage system, etc.) such that it becomes overly difficult to deploy and retrieve.

Some here prefer a more specific answer. For that I would turn to the tables provided by the various anchor manufacturers.
Absolutely this. I use a 35kg Rocna on 80m chain, with some rope to extend but I've never needed that.

A secondary anchor is close to absolutely necessary -- useful for stern anchoring, kedging off from the dinghy, or just in a plain emergency when you can't release or have had to buoy and let go your main anchor. For this I use a big aluminium Danforth (to save weight and allow for easy flat stowage away from the bow and easy carrying it about to where it needs to be deployed) and 100m of nylon rode (ditto)
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 20:59   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
...As far as stern anchors, my own opinion is that a cruising boat must be prepared with a stern anchor, sufficient rode, roller, easily deployed and all fully up to the task, even if it is not typically used.
Ah, I forgot to comment on that part of the question. I agree with Don. An easily deployable stern anchor has many uses. I’ve used mine in restricted areas, as part of a land tie-off, as well as to kedge off when we’ve run aground. I’ve not yet had to use it in Oh SHYTE! conditions, but it is ready.

Just in case this helps, I carry:
#1. A 55# Rocna with 250’ of all-chain (3/8”) rode. This is my bower, and does the job 90%+ of the time. (When I replace this anchor I plan to move up one more size, but it has never let me down … yet ).

#2. A large Danforth, as a backup anchor. I carry a second rode consisting of 50’ chain (3/8”) and 200’ of nylon. This can be attached to another anchor, or my bower.

#3. A 15 kg Bruce as a stern/emergency anchor. It has its own rode of ~15’ of 1/2” chain and 150’ nylon.

#4. A large Fortress is my storm anchor.
Old 03-05-2019, 21:06   #8

Boat: Catalina 22 Capri, 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

DONT oversize a new generation anchor. They have done that already. Anchor from the stern if in a protected Anchorage. Mostly dacon rode is fine unless anchoring in coral. All new generation anchors are good and a Fortress is better in soft mud or silt.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 21:18   #9

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razoo View Post
I've heard rumblings of a best anchor for this and the best anchor for that but, is there really a best overall anchor? Doesn't it depend on circumstance?

What anchors your bow? How much chain? How much rode? Sizes?

And what about those stern anchors? Are they really necessary?

What do you think?

The best anchor is the one you can rely on to stop you hitting the hard stuff when the excrement and air conditioner interact. There is no perfect anchor for all substrates but there are very good, modern, all rounders available.

I'm of the "Go Big Or Go Home" school of thought. I carry a monster 33kg Vulcan on my bow with 60m of G70 8mm chain and 40m of 16mm Octoplait spliced to it. I don't want to be buggering about in a storm trying to set a secondary anchor, I want my primary anchor to be sufficient to do that straight off the bow.
This replaced the paltry 16kg Delta and 50m of ungraded 8mm originally on the bow. The Delta is in my cockpit locker with 10m of the ungraded 8mm and if I tie all my mooring lines together (I'm very good a tying quick double sheet bends now) I have about 120m of 14mm rode to use. I have a single 50m of 14mm braided line for stern to shore anchoring that would be my primary emergency rode (should be good for 10m of water with the chain).
I'm toying with ditching the Delta for a Fortress as I can go a size bigger but still save weight and remove a large lump of iron from the vicinity of my compasses.

Personally I don't like having lots of things hanging from the guardrails. With the open back design of my boat with the swim platform transom I don't have a lot of aft guard rail space as it is and things hanging off the sides have a nasty habit of interacting with other people's things hanging off the side.

Now I should mention when I was looking to upgrade I considered the (similar weight) Rollbar Rocna and the Mantus but neither of these would fit my boat without a major rejig of the bow roller as the shanks were too long to fit between roller and windlass. The Vulcan is actually shorter in the shank than the 16kg Delta so fitted absolutely perfectly.

I'm also a Star Trek nerd so having a Vulcan hanging off my bow is kind of cool in a geeky sort of way
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 22:14   #10
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Either there is a local Google outage or a surplus of beer and peanuts.

Abandon all hope of a finite answer!
Old 03-05-2019, 22:27   #11

Boat: Catalina 22 Capri, 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Either there is a local Google outage or a surplus of beer and peanuts.

Abandon all hope of a finite answer!
I think we can settle this once and for all this time. You'll see.🤩
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 05:40   #12
Are you serious?

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

I have a 60# Manson Supreme, which is a size high for my boat, and 275' of 5/16" chain. It has never dragged once set in the 8 years I've had it (the last 2.5 full time cruising). It has only not set right away 3 times in al the times I've anchored.

I have a back Mantus 45# that has never been wet and only assembled once.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:56   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

We’ve got a 45# mantis and 225’ of 5/26” chain as primary.

Backup is a mixed rhode and a danforthHT 23#. It’s mostly (rarely) used as a stern and kedge.
Sailmonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:06   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

I look at this question differently.

I am concerned about what anchor is being used by the boats anchored around me.

If a boat comes in and puts down a Rocna or Manson anchor, I breathe a sigh of relief. No worries from those boats. If they put down anything else in a marginal anchorage, and they are a potential threat in prevailing conditions, I will pull up my WASI Beugel anchor and move to where I am safe.

I use a seventy pound WASI beugel anchor with good results.

I was hit by a poorly anchored 120 foot megayacht in Bequia, and he kindly came over and gave me $2,000 for the damage to our mangled bow pulpit.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:40   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
I look at this question differently.

I am concerned about what anchor is being used by the boats anchored around me.

If a boat comes in and puts down a Rocna or Manson anchor, I breathe a sigh of relief. No worries from those boats. If they put down anything else in a marginal anchorage, and they are a potential threat in prevailing conditions, I will pull up my WASI Beugel anchor and move to where I am safe. ...
More than anything, I watch for good technique. Good technique can make a marginal anchor work well. And conversely, there can be no saving a boater using poor technique, regardless of the anchor.

I think we focus too much on equipment, and not enough on technique.

Tags
anchor