Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2019, 07:16   #31

Re: All About Anchors

I always carry a large sized aluminium Fortress or Viking danforth style anchor with short chain and nylon Rode - 8 or 12 plait is easier to handle than three-strand - as a secondary or stern anchor. It is much easier to take out and set in the dinghy than a heavy steel anchor. I rarely use a stern anchor, occasionally for limiting swing in a crowded anchorage, though most often to align the boat to a swell that comes around a point of land that is from a different direction from the wind.

My main anchor is a Mantus on all chain with windlass.
Paul Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 08:03   #32

Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I don’t disagree. This is the benefit of these new-gen anchors; their margin of error (so to speak) is wider. They are simply better at setting, and function well in a wider variety of substrates, so they are easier to use.

In some ways, they can mask poor technique. But I’d certainly rather have a new-gen anchors over the older styles (as a bower).
This reminded me of the day I installed my new 85# Mantus. New anchor, new Mantus swivel, securely attached to the chain, and I just tossed it off the dock about 10 feet in front of the boat (20ish feet from the roller on my cat) in about 6 feet of water. No way there was enough scope to set - or so I thought. I thought I was never going to get that thing to pull up, and when it did it brought half the bottom up with it. I sleep like a baby with that monster hooked to the earth.
Tornadosailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 09:59   #33

Boat: Irwin 37 Stardust

A dinghy, a [diving] go-pro and flashlight attached to a long push-pole. You can check the set without getting your ears wet... usually.

I've set many anchors without the motor. Just move your bow rode to the stern (just until it is set), drift downwind until you have let out enough scope, cleat it, open the jenny for a minute (I open it all the way and even add some main in light wind), take in your sails, move the rode to the bow and you are all set, probably. I say "probably," because you should check it, anyway, as always. Obviously, a motor is safer in a crowned anchorage, but if you have the room.....
roadranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 10:18   #34
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razoo View Post
I've heard rumblings of a best anchor for this and the best anchor for that but, is there really a best overall anchor? Doesn't it depend on circumstance?

What anchors your bow? How much chain? How much rode? Sizes?

And what about those stern anchors? Are they really necessary?

What do you think?
My primary anchor is a Lewmar Delta 44 lb. (non-hinged plow anchor for sand, rocks, weeds, mud)) as my primary with 300' of 5/16" High Test Chain for cruising the Northwest's deep waters; it worked well in Hawaii as well. When I purchased the boat in 2007 that was generally considered the best all around anchor and has served me well. My secondary, also on the bow, is a true Bruce 33 lb. (it came with the boat) with 25' of 3/8" chain and 300' x 3/4" 3-strand nylon which I have never had to use.

Proper anchoring is a process. It starts with selecting the best location to protect you from the forecasted weather, use of the best anchor for the bottom and sized properly for the boat, proper deployment technique and rode length...all of these are not always available and you do the best you can with what you've got. When this occurs I always find that increasing the length of rode helps.

Exactly where is Canistan?

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 11:33   #35

Boat: 1984 Rhodes 22

Practical Sailor magazine has done actual load testing of various anchors in various substrates. I love these guys, they apply actual science and engineering in sensible ways to produce realistic equipment tests - and then try it out on their own boats. Here's the link: https://www.practical-sailor.com/iss...s_10784-1.html
edexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 14:18   #36

Boat: 1978 PS Mariah 31, #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
More than anything, I watch for good technique. Good technique can make a marginal anchor work well. And conversely, there can be no saving a boater using poor technique, regardless of the anchor.

I think we focus too much on equipment, and not enough on technique.

I agree with Mike on this one. Technique is the foundation to solid anchoring. Having solid, reliable ground tackle is also damn important though.
LarryDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 14:25   #37

Boat: 1978 PS Mariah 31, #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas_1611 View Post
Mike has a good point about technique. Many a time I've seen a perfectly good anchor being thrown over the side with a mile of chain behind it while the boat in question is still going forward at several knots. Engine slammed in reverse to stop it then cut and the beers cracked open. Boat probably ahead of the anchor and certainly no setting force applied to it.

It doesn't matter how big, shiny or expensive your lump of metal is, how sharp the pointy end is, how wide the roll bar is if you just dump it on the seabed with chain piled on top of it. If you don't take the time to drop it carefully, laying back a good scope (3:1 minimum, 4:1 better for all chain, more if you can) then giving the boat some reverse to help the anchor dig in, giving it a bit more then a bit more then you only have yourself to blame when you drag.

Even if you do do all that and the anchor holds 1800rpm in reverse there is no guarantee, no matter how new generation or big the lump is, that you won't drag. We did in 40kt winds in Vilho Bay last September despite having given the Vulcan 2000rpm in reverse for 2 minutes but I think that was due to the chain having swung over or around the anchor when the wind shifted nearly 180º. Thankfully we were able to reset safely and it took a lot of jiggling to get the Vulcan to let go of the mud a couple of days later.

I run all chain and 7:1 is my standard. There are times when I’ll reduce to 5:1, crowded anchorage, but not very often. If space permits, heck it’s not uncommon for me to be at 10:1. Almost a year now anchoring everyday, with a few 50 kn storms under belt. Only drug once, small anchorage, 5:1 scope, soupy mud bottom.
LarryDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 15:13   #38

Boat: Grainger Spoonbay 38ft Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas_1611 View Post

I'm also a Star Trek nerd so having a Vulcan hanging off my bow is kind of cool in a geeky sort of way
Now if only there was a Klingon anchor!!
Old 10-05-2019, 20:28   #39

Location: Full time RV traveler presently (temporarily) in Mesa AZ
Boat: Cal 39

I agree that "More than anything, I watch for good technique. Good technique can make a marginal anchor work well. And conversely, there can be no saving a boater using poor technique, regardless of the anchor" is A correct response.

Also, "Thanks Mike. That is the best reply to the “what’s the best anchor” question I have ever read on this forum" is another very correct response.
secrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 22:06   #40

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Can't believe I'm commenting yet again on yet another anchor thread but...

Got the biggest Rocna my bow roller could fit. Love it love it love it. BUT I'm thinking of upgrading to an Ultra. I believe that might be a comparably good anchor, but with no roll bar I could upsize one bigger. But only for that reason. Also not to collect weed in the roll bar.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 01:38   #41

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Like the above post (Sojourner's ), I don't read many anchor threads, have never contributed to any of those I think, but as this thread flavour is (still) benign.......

I am sure readers in the gallery are not interested what my anchors are, but I will share considerations for my choices:
- First and overriding consideration was to hold the boat in a minimum of 60 knots and in 20 mt of water, in any kind of bottom (hmmmm, I realise that the last requirement might be not be achieved 100% of the time)
- to have a great deal redundancy and backup in groundtackle
- the ability to use one anchor as a kedge
- the conclusion from above three points was that I would need then 3 anchors (although this conclusion might be not quite correct, but sofar so good), and that each anchor could hold the boat in those conditions
- 2 large anchors on the bow, both to be of the new generation type
- one to be oversized
- second one to be more oversized
- one of these to be a convex anchor
- the other one to be concave one, as it would not make sense to have 2 anchors of the same type
- third anchor a lightweight alloy, with only little chain, to deploy from any point on the boat or to kedge

Of course other considerations come into play as well:
- type, size and length of the three rodes, again they should not be the same, so each one can be used to optimize holding power or deployment in a particular case
- size of windlass
- power to windlass and backup for power failure
- cleating points being in the right position
- cleats/bits/posts to be strong enough
- size and quality of hardware ie shackles, thimbles (if any)
- compatibility and fit of hardware (rollers, gypsy, stoppers)
- use of additional hardware like swivels, weights (kellets), trip-lines, snubbers
- ease of deployment and recovery
- storage of all the rodes
- money..... like anything on a boat: $$$$
- weight is a consideration, but I put this right at the bottom of MY priorities
Old 11-05-2019, 04:10   #42

Boat: Jeanneau NC11, 11m

I read a Steve Dashew post on anchors recently. He has changed their philosophy to bigger anchor, heavier chain so they can use less scope. Reasons are, better holding with a shorter scope in crowded areas, less likely for chain to get wrapped around something as boat moves with tide/ current/ wind changes.
blazing928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 00:13   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazing928 View Post
I read a Steve Dashew post on anchors recently. He has changed their philosophy to bigger anchor, heavier chain so they can use less scope. Reasons are, better holding with a shorter scope in crowded areas, less likely for chain to get wrapped around something as boat moves with tide/ current/ wind changes.

Dashew has been advocating super heavy anchors -- and LIGHT (not heavy) chain -- for decades. With that combination he was able to anchor on much shorter scope than what we usually think is normal.

I am not aware that he has changed his philosophy -- I don't think he's even cruising any more. I would be grateful for a link if I've missed something.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 02:55   #44

Boat: Jeanneau NC11, 11m

I think it’s in this post, I haven’t re read it all but the last sentences are informative

https://setsail.com/anchoring-system...ch/#more-46615

Posted may 30 2018 Steve Dashew www.setsail.com
blazing928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 04:36   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
... I am not aware that he has changed his philosophy -- I don't think he's even cruising any more. I would be grateful for a link if I've missed something.
“... We hope to see you at anchor in the not-too-distant future. Posted by Steve Dashew (May 30, 2018)”
https://setsail.com/anchoring-system...ch/#more-46615

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor