Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2015, 06:47   #1
g_3

Boat: 9'2" Pride Classic
AIS and cruising

This may be a dumb question, an impossible question to answer, or someone here might have a lot of experience they can share.

Roughly, how many cruisers tend to use AIS? Is it most of you? Some?

thx
g_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 07:05   #2

Boat: Tayana 58 DS
Re: AIS and cruising

I always have my AIS transponder on while underway, whether cruising or passaging. I don't find AIS of much use while cruising, but find it far more useful while passaging.

Why? Offshore, the majority of the vessels I see have AIS transmitters -- the exception being fishing vessels within 50-100nm of shore -- they rarely have AIS. When within a few miles of the coast, depending on where, only perhaps 1 in 20 or 1 in 50 vessels I see is transmitting AIS. As such, its role in collision avoidance when cruising near the coast is negligible.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 08:33   #3

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by accomplice View Post
I always have my AIS transponder on while underway, whether cruising or passaging. I don't find AIS of much use while cruising, but find it far more useful while passaging.

Why? Offshore, the majority of the vessels I see have AIS transmitters -- the exception being fishing vessels within 50-100nm of shore -- they rarely have AIS. When within a few miles of the coast, depending on where, only perhaps 1 in 20 or 1 in 50 vessels I see is transmitting AIS. As such, its role in collision avoidance when cruising near the coast is negligible.
I think there is a trend towards AIS... nothing wrong in seeing and being seen.

I disagree that there is no role in collision avoidance coastal. At night when we go down the florida coast a lot of commercial traffic is heading in and out including large barges, and of course lots of cruise boats.

Being able to call those vessels by name is extremely helpful - especially given that the navigation lights on even large vessels can get lost against the background lights on the coast.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 09:05   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I am encouraged by the increased number of yachts that now have AIS. When sailing off the washington coast, the fog is thick and the swells up, it is nice to be able to see the vessels around you.
The fishing vessels also have AIS, but only stitch it on if you are headed toward them. A little disconcerting, but good to see 60 miles offshore. They just have financial reasons to keep the AIS off.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 09:09   #5

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

In many cruising blogs, the cruiser claims they would not be without it.

Based on the actual cruisers I spoke with, I decided to install it (transponder). I don't have enough experience yet to say whether that was the right decision.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 09:18   #6

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
I think there is a trend towards AIS... nothing wrong in seeing and being seen.

I disagree that there is no role in collision avoidance coastal. At night when we go down the florida coast a lot of commercial traffic is heading in and out including large barges, and of course lots of cruise boats.

Being able to call those vessels by name is extremely helpful - especially given that the navigation lights on even large vessels can get lost against the background lights on the coast.
Mid-coast through eastern Maine, most of the traffic day and night (yes, they work at night with very bright lights) are lobster boats. Perhaps one in a hundred, maybe fewer, has an AIS transmitter. It certainly doesn't hurt to be seen by those with AIS receivers, but the relatively rarity of other boats transmitting AIS makes our receiver less useful when coastal. I suspect the usefulness depends on where you're cruising.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 09:23   #7

Boat: Heritage 35

We've had a watchmate transponder installed for 6 years now. It's always on when we're moving. A couple of years ago I had the opportunity to go up onto the bridge on a cruise ship. My first question was what they thought of AIS on pleasure boat. The response was they thought it should be mandatory on all vessels! Reason being they can see your AIS signal up to 60 miles away! and can adjust course by 1 or 2 degrees and then not even come close to you. They found AIS much more usefull than radar for collision avoidance. Small boats are almost invisible from the Bridges of most large ships. So my vote is get one.
Kalinka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 09:24   #8

Quote:
Mid-coast through eastern Maine, most of the traffic day and night (yes, they work at night with very bright lights) are lobster boats. Perhaps one in a hundred, maybe fewer, has an AIS transmitter. It certainly doesn't hurt to be seen by those with AIS receivers, but the relatively rarity of other boats transmitting AIS makes our receiver less useful when coastal. I suspect the usefulness depends on where you're cruising.
Wasn't there a law recently passed in the USA that will change that? I believe in March of 2016 all those lobster boats will require an AIS transponder.

Here is a quick article I could find on it.

AIS Legislation Watch: New US rules in 2015
Old 01-10-2015, 09:29   #9

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

That law covers commercial vessels 65' or larger. Most lobster boats are much smaller than this.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mainelobsterboat.jpg
Views:	831
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	110306  

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 09:34   #10

Boat: Rafiki 37

I have a transponder/reciever

The reciever is useful up in the gulf islands - its handy to know where the ferries are.

The transponder is nice because people tend to hail you by name.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:35   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
That law covers commercial vessels 65' or larger. Most lobster boats are much smaller than this.

Mark
Ahhhh.. Thanks for the clarification.. I thought it affected all commercial vessels. Sad to hear it doesn't.

Port Supply actually has a nice table describing the new rules.
USCG AIS Rule CFR Title 33 - 164 | Certified | Port Supply
Old 01-10-2015, 09:44   #12
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

AIS is the best bit of safety kit ever invented.
I strongly suggest everyone install it.
If I had my way it would be mandatory for all boats going 2nms off shore.

The nay-sayers either haven't used it or haven't used it. Maybe they just haven't used it, but I think its more likely they haven't used it.

Mark
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:01   #13

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
I agree and that is disconcerting.

I rarely say "there should be a law" but frankly... I believe all boats - especially boats that have right of way like commercial fishing vessels should be required to be fitted with a transponder that cannot be turned off. Long liners and nets should be equipped with AIS transponders at the end of their nets.

Sorry Charlie - safety of the public should take precedence over profit.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:21   #14
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

ZBoss,
And tugs hauling barges should have an AIS on the tow.
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:41   #15

Boat: Farrier f27

I work on ships worldwide and being able to see an AIS symbol overlaid on the radar helps alot especially in the case of fiberglass or wood boats that don't have a good radar return. If small boats want to be seen by ships this is the best measure to take.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, cruising