Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 03-10-2015, 18:49   #46

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: AIS and cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I find it the same down this way Dockhead. Most commercial ships leave them on and broadcasting no matter how long they have been in port in our River. And I'm not just talking months.

But all it means to me is I turn the alarm off as I'm approaching the river mouth so it doesn't keep screaming at me and pay more visual attention.
Yes, you have to turn the alarm off in harbor in any case. The AIS alarm is only valid in open water anyway where vessels are holding a more or less steady course. In harbour you get nonstop meaningless alarms.

Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Old 03-10-2015, 18:54   #47

Boat: 'Keppelena' Hartley Queenslander 33'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
AIS is the best bit of safety kit ever invented.
I strongly suggest everyone install it.
If I had my way it would be mandatory for all boats going 2nms off shore.

The nay-sayers either haven't used it or haven't used it. Maybe they just haven't used it, but I think its more likely they haven't used it.

Mark
Definitely agree, although an AIS receiver for yachts with all-solar power is adequate unless you plan to transit Singapore.

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 20:01   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiqu View Post
Definitely agree, although an AIS receiver for yachts with all-solar power is adequate unless you plan to transit Singapore.
Just curious: what is the significance of solar power? The transmit function of a transceiver uses insignificant power and is easily supported by even a small panel set up. The benefit of transmitting is there no matter what the energy source.

Jim
Old 03-10-2015, 20:21   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
ZBoss,
And tugs hauling barges should have an AIS on the tow.
This is getting to be the case up here in the PNW. A log tow I passed had one at the end (1 k after his AIS) so everyone would know he has a long load.
The barges are starting to show them too, not all but a few.

I also vote for the commercial ships to leave their AIS on (they do if I vote for it or not) in the harbor. I can be twenty miles away and know exactly where an unknown harbor is!
Old 03-10-2015, 21:08   #50

Boat: Roberts 31

So far I have only had the use of an AIS receiver App on my nav. system and find it very useful when passage-making in or near shipping lanes.
I think it is an excellent tool.
I guess I will set up a transponder sometime in the near future to gain even more benefit from it.
Old 03-10-2015, 23:42   #51

Boat: 39' Westerly Sealord

I actually went sailing today-with sails up no less. I honestly wouldn't bother turning on the AIS if just day sailing in coastal waters... night, bad vis, passage making? different matter.

AMEC Camino..... disabling TX is a one click operation. Bring up Amec software on PC, drop down menu... uncheck TX box... job done

Can also run as a 'dumb' unit (TX/RX) with no PC or Vesper WMate 670 running, or both running or one or tother....
El Pinguino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 02:27   #52

Boat: Lagoon 450
AIS and cruising

Yep, I am also a big fan of AIS. Can spot when a big ship is going to run you down in the ocean, and use their call sign to make contact and ask them to change course.

SAT AIS works OK with my Class B and I have attached the Sat tracking by exactEarth of us around NZ last year. There were 8 hour satellite gaps but that will get better and we are at the end of the earth anyway :-)

If you have a login to MarineTraffic and delve real deep in the web site you can buy Sat AIS tracking for just one yacht for about US$10pm.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1443947185.533531.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	110452

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 04-10-2015, 03:08   #53

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Hi.

I'm a big fan too and once you ever get caught in a sudden spell of dense fog close to very busy shipping lanes I supose you will be too.

Especially if you have no radar (yet) it's great to know that the big ships can see you and you can see them.
Of course one has to stay out of their way in inshore waters,they do not get more nimble by AIS ;-)

I talked about this to some captain friends of mine and they said that they use it a lot and consider it a big safety improvement.

Save cruising,

Franziska

Sent from my C6603 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Franziska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 04:52   #54

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
.. .
AMEC Camino..... disabling TX is a one click operation. Bring up Amec software on PC, drop down menu... uncheck TX box... job done
My set (Sitex black box) actually has wires for a hardware "silent" switch. Would probably take 20 minutes to install one. Just never bothered as I have just never had any situations where I wanted it off. Gulf of Aden might be different :-)

Old 04-10-2015, 04:57   #55

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
.. .
I talked about this to some captain friends of mine and they said that they use it a lot and consider it a big safety improvement.
.. .
Human nature is everyone will rely more and more on receiving your AIS signal to know you're there and will invest less and less effort detecting boats without AIS. It's bad and it's wrong but it's human nature. I've noticed it even in myself and fight with this.

A word to the wise.

Old 04-10-2015, 16:30   #56

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Human nature is everyone will rely more and more on receiving your AIS signal to know you're there and will invest less and less effort detecting boats without AIS. It's bad and it's wrong but it's human nature. I've noticed it even in myself and fight with this.

A word to the wise.

I'm really astonished at the exuberance over AIS. Yes, it's a nice tool, but certainly not the most important one to effect navigation. In fact, it's way down on my list of what has to be working to make a passage. GPS, Chartplotter, Radar, and VHF are far more important than AIS. I typically run AIS only in low visibility or high traffic situations. I really don't get off seeing the name of the boat on the horizon that has no chance of affecting me, or vessels passing by while at anchor! And I don't understand the vanity of seeing my boat name on the Internet, in fact I truly believe that's a breach of privacy that should be stopped.

I've come to the conclusion that AIS is simply dumb-easy, that's why people are ga-ga over it.

If you believe AIS is the primary tool, you need to re-examine the art of navigation and collision avoidance.
Old 04-10-2015, 16:43   #57
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post

I've come to the conclusion that AIS is simply dumb-easy, that's why people are ga-ga over it.

Yes, I agree. Its murder and should be banned.
Anything easy, useful and safe has no place on a boat.

Radar is ok because it was invented in the Second World War so anyone with grey hair has heard of it. Plus its more difficult to use so its better. Radar is better too because you can't see boats in rain squalls and that's better. Hairy Eye-Ball and the Thing That Looks At The Sun are the only tools a real sailor needs.
Chartotters? Waste of money and totally unsafe too. Should be banned. Plus any fin keeled boat NEEDS to be banned right now. As for furling jibs, don't start me on that, how can you call yourself a sailor unless you have a hank on jib on all 4 masts - wooden masts of course.
Old 04-10-2015, 16:43   #58

Quote:

* And I don't understand the vanity of seeing my boat name on the Internet, in fact I truly believe that's a breach of privacy that should be stopped.

If you believe AIS is the primary tool, you need to re-examine the art of navigation and collision avoidance.

I totally agree with you on this. I for 1 will never put a transmitter on my boat (in my car or a chip under my skin ) unleds i can figure out how to anonymise it. I would love to have a transmission that would go 50 miles so those big ocean ships could see me coming but they don't need to know who I am. the information of my direction my speed maybe my size is all they need it now and I certainly don't need big brother looking down on me anywhere in the world with a satellite to keep track of where I am. not this kid, it is recieve only for now
Old 04-10-2015, 16:46   #59
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
I think you are being harsh here. Certainly more harsh than many commercial pilots, navigators and captains - let alone many very experienced cruisers.

Dead easy is one of its good features. Being able to clearly and quickly identify a ship, its direction and path relative to one's own, and the time frame necessary to effect a change when in bad conditions, with low sleep levels on a small boat is a good thing - not a bad thing.

The art of navigation and collision avoidance is to use the best data available to achieve navigation and collision avoidance in the fastest time possible.

It is not to slog through difficult to interpret radar conditions, sleep deprived eyes on a bouncy boat in heavy rain, parallel rules and DR sites on a boat healed 40* and yawing around, etc.

Personally, our chart plotter is kind of useless most of the time AIS is most useful. The VHF is only useful as a last-chance measure (have you actually tried contacting a ship by VHF lately?). We put AIS high on our list on passage - and the worse environmental conditions get, or the worse the traffic load gets, the higher AIS rises in that list.

There has been many commercial shipping people on these threads singing the praises of AIS and being able to see all ships around them and keep situational awareness. It seems to be high on their lists.

Of course, they may only be the beginners…

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 16:48   #60
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by farm sail View Post
I totally agree with you on this. I for 1 will never put a transmitter on my boat (in my car or a chip under my skin ) unleds i can figure out how to anonymise it. I would love to have a transmission that would go 50 miles so those big ocean ships could see me coming but they don't need to know who I am. the information of my direction my speed maybe my size is all they need it now and I certainly don't need big brother looking down on me anywhere in the world with a satellite to keep track of where I am. not this kid, it is recieve only for now
Says the guy with a cell phone and computer.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, cruising

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: